Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 22 Nov 2014, 17:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development
4.4 Pre Alpha test run
Page 9 of 12 [178 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
nooby

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar 2010, 19:09    Post subject:  

Technosaurus, You pup44CE is better than Stardust on playing radio files from sr.se and nrk.no

But it could be me not having downloaded the right thing for gxine on Stardust.

your 44CE just works out of the box instead. So that is a good thing. Very few puppies can do our radio shows here.

Turbopup can, Dpup can, Lighthouse can, but none of the other 8 puppies me have installed.

but your pup 44 CE fail to remember setxkbmap se which I have to set anew each time I boot it up despite having a savefile that works on other things like bookmarks.

What can I do to set it to Swedish by default?

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar 2010, 01:16    Post subject:  

Hi techno if you update gtk,glib,pango,Cairo,atk it would add years to the usefulness of 4 series. Like what I did for 2.14X. That would be the biggest overall improvement I think you could make, hmmm that and if you compiled VLC after and tossed gxine, but that could be asking for too much. Wink
ttuuxxx

esmourguit

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar 2010, 05:54    Post subject:  

Bonjour à tous,

Back to webbrowser discussion, just an idea, why not something like that:
Seamonkey is the default browser, but at first launch we could post a notice indicating to whoever wants it can replace Seamonkey with another browser and offer alternative browser like Firefox and Opera or keep Seamonkey.
Then download and install package of chosen browser would execute, remove Seamonkey and set the new defaultbrowser.
It should also offer to install or not a mail client as sylpheed or thundrebird or any another to complete.

Cordialememt Wink

Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar 2010, 06:06    Post subject:  

Well ttuuxxx, you would make from this young 4.4CE an old dog by adding years to it? Wink
Use peppyy's puppysearch
01micko

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar 2010, 06:06    Post subject:  

esmourguit wrote:
Then download and install package of chosen browser would execute, remove Seamonkey and set the new defaultbrowser.

That is all well and good for a full install but it is not removed from the pup-whatever.sfs so therefore is loaded at boot in the layered filesystem into RAM (for frugal and live installations). No advantage unfortunately. It is easy to provide links to preferred browsers but optimising the system with and for that preferred browser is a different thing.

Cheers

nooby

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar 2010, 06:23    Post subject:  

micko, so the only way to do this then is to not include any of the big browsers but ask the choice question and the user preferred browser would be included in the save file and not the sfs that come with the distro.

another way would be to have pre-made choices in five or more different iso

Firefox PuppyLinux-440CE.iso
Opera PuppyLinux-440CE.iso
Chrome PuppyLinux-440CE.iso
Iron PuppyLinux-440CE.iso
Seamonkey browser and mail suite PuppyLinux-440CE.iso
Dillo PuppyLinux-440CE.iso
Whatever is out there PuppyLinux-440CE.iso

Pre made versions

I trust that the Firefox version with all codecs and flash installed would be 90% chosen by newbies and Seamonkey 100% among the old timers of Puppy users.

abushcrafter

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar 2010, 06:43    Post subject:  

Why not have a portable version of Firefox or opera not in a sfs or in the main file system but in the iso?

Here is my filefox portable script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo "Welcome to the Linux version of Firefox in portable mode. Feedback is NOT disabled."
exec ./firefox -no-remote -profile "./profile" $@ #2>/dev/null

Bug: Needs to be run in directory of Firefox.

The latest versions of Firefox are extremely faster than Firefox2!
abushcrafter

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar 2010, 06:49    Post subject:  

For themes/looks set up look out for my Stardust Treats Pack.
01micko

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar 2010, 06:53    Post subject:  

yeah nooby, you got the picture Smile , but a bunch of different isos? I think it's impractical. Technosauraus doesn't want 5 separate sets of isos presenting the possibility of 5 sets of separate problems.

The radical method I suggested earlier is probably the cheapest in terms of kilobytes and resources on one's system but it is at an expensive cost of convenience. Béèm's suggestion that that become a puplet is probably a good idea.

On a different note, slightly, Firefox is the most recognised browser and as such probably should be the default in my opinion. Alienation is a deterrent. Many newbies would say, "What on Earth is seamonkey?", although I personally prefer it over Firefox.

abushcrafter, that gives me a different, perhaps even more radical idea, but it would need tweaking by the powers that be, (mainly because of their layered filesystem smarts!)... a browser as an sfs.. but one that is loaded by default but can be switched such that it can be unloaded... what do you think???

Cheers

abushcrafter

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar 2010, 06:57    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
yeah nooby, you got the picture Smile , but a bunch of different isos? I think it's impractical. Technosauraus doesn't want 5 separate sets of isos presenting the possibility of 5 sets of separate problems.

The radical method I suggested earlier is probably the cheapest in terms of kilobytes and resources on one's system but it is at an expensive cost of convenience. Béèm's suggestion that that become a puplet is probably a good idea.

On a different note, slightly, Firefox is the most recognised browser and as such probably should be the default in my opinion. Alienation is a deterrent. Many newbies would say, "What on Earth is seamonkey?", although I personally prefer it over Firefox.

abushcrafter, that gives me a different, perhaps even more radical idea, but it would need tweaking by the powers that be, (mainly because of their layered filesystem smarts!)... a browser as an sfs.. but one that is loaded by default but can be switched such that it can be unloaded... what do you think???

Cheers

That would not work with Firefox in portable mode because its saving the profile in the same directory of Firefox. Which means there's nothing (Like settings.) left on the system.
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar 2010, 06:59    Post subject:  

Yeah I like Firefox because of the Auto-Update where Seamonkey never Auto-Updates. LLFF
ttuuxxx

01micko

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar 2010, 07:09    Post subject:  

abushcrafter wrote:

That would not work with Firefox in portable mode because its saving the profile in the same directory of Firefox. Which means there's nothing (Like settings.) left on the system.

Why not? It could be in the iso as a z-xxxxxxx.sfs. Doesn't it work with modem and scuzzi? If not I'm almost certain the initrd.gz could be hacked to make it work.. and save configs. Becomes entirely up to the user then, and it's not really a portable install, it becomes an "expendable" (for want of a better term) install... I'm only thinking in terms of possibilities here...

nooby

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar 2010, 07:42    Post subject:  

Micko I think you are right.

the most realistic way to do a Community Edition is to have Firefox as the default browser and the experienced linux user has all the means to do a seamonkey install if they badly want one.

To not have Firefox latest version from scratch makes the CE version into an odd distro that very few would care about. They would ask which puppy has Firefox as default and don't touch the CE version.

Your radical ideas about having it outside of the sfs in a z version or whatever sounds good to me. As long as one have a more step by step description than what abushcrafter give in that short version.

I may be very dumb but despite me having done puppy now since 2008 that was too much for my brain to grasp how to and I doubt a total newbie know how to do such things.

Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar 2010, 08:23    Post subject:  

ttuuxxx wrote:
Yeah I like Firefox because of the Auto-Update where Seamonkey never Auto-Updates. LLFF
ttuuxxx
This doesn't work for you?
SeaMonkey-upd.png
 Description   
 Filesize   12.94 KB
 Viewed   1035 Time(s)

SeaMonkey-upd.png

Use peppyy's puppysearch
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar 2010, 08:37    Post subject:  

Béèm wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:
ttuuxxx
This doesn't work for you?

no Béèm thats a fake update, all it does is brings you to the seamonkey website so you can download a full version and new users would have to figure out how to install it.
Firefox updates can be a couple of kb's not usually a full new release download like seamonkey does, Firefox only updates what needs to updated in the background, you don't manually download a package and install, its done like magic in firefox, Seamonkeys updates are like the stone-ages ugg. lol
ttuuxxx

Page 9 of 12 [178 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development
Jump to: