NSA "helped" MS design Windows 7... do they help Linux too?

For discussions about security.
Q5sys

NSA "helped" MS design Windows 7... do they help Linux too?

#31 Post by Q5sys »

DMcCunney wrote:I've seen some of the Tin Foil Hat crowd in the US raving that MS works with the NSA, and left backdoors in Windows so the NSA could snoop on their computers. All I could say was "You wish you were important enough that anyone would bother to snoop on your machine! There are only so many people in the US government intelligence services that do that, and they all have much better uses of their time, thank you."
I agree with you 100%, some people have massive delusions of granduire when it comes to the government being after them. This whole thing reminds me of when the NSA was involved in DES. People swore left and right that the NSA introduced a backdoor into it. Until a few years later when Differential Cryptanalysis was discovered outside the agency and everyone went 'hey wow, the changes the NSA made to IBM's Lucifer cypher actually made DES impervious to this new attack we didnt know about before because we just discovered it.'

FYI, im not old enough to have been around when DES was released, but ive read enough stuff about it and what experts in the security field at the time said.

As for what the gov is doing now... I think they are far more interested in data mining and archiving so 'if' you become an issue they have enough to bury you. I seriously doubt they care about stealing my mothers chocolate chip cookie recipe that she keeps on her computer. But then again... Its the best cookie recipe in the world... :P