Puppy Stardust 011

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
01micko

#91 Post by 01micko »

zigbert wrote:
01micko wrote:Rob has just updated Startmount to ver 0.4.0.
I have updated. Thank you.

Startmount is a really nice tool, however it does not cooperate 100% with the DuDE (starDust Desktop Environment :D ). The reason is that /root/Startup/start-mount.sh is run AFTER jwm is loaded. - When I add a directory from sda6 (mounted via Startmount) to Favorites, it is not detected as a Directory. Simply because it is not mounted when jwm builds the Favorites menu. To get this perfect, /etc/rc.d/lc.local would be a better place for mounting of drives.

Sigmund
This is fixed for version 0.5.0 (not out just yet). Hopefully DUDE ( :lol: ) will cooperate.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

rayrockiii

Some questions

#92 Post by rayrockiii »

DaveS wrote:Shutdown button non function in utility tray caused by typo in /root/.stardust/trays/Utility_tray.rc. '<' is missing from start of closetag for traybotton "leave puppy"
Hello everyone,

I have been living in these forums the last few days heavily enjoying Puppy Linux with Stardust. What a wonderful OS.

DaveS, I found a temporary way to fix that utility tray shutdown. If you add the missing '<' in Utility_tray.rc and then choose "restart JVM" from the leave menu, the shutdown change will then take hold and work. However, as soon as you go back into Ptray and click "Apply changes", the file reverts back to having the missing '<' . I was wondering if you or anyone else knows how to apply the changes and have it hold without reverting back, when applying changes through Ptray 0.8?

I am also experiencing an interesting issue where retrovol defaults to the built-in microphone in my usb webcam upon a reboot. If I want it to revert back to my sound card, I need to restart the machine and unplug the webcam before the OS loads. Has anyone else experienced this?

I was curious if there was any webcam software included with this stardust release?

Thanks for any help that you can give me! :)

zigbert

#93 Post by zigbert »

01micko wrote:This is fixed for version 0.5.0 (not out just yet). Hopefully DUDE ( :lol: ) will cooperate.
Sounds great

Sigmund

zigbert

#94 Post by zigbert »

rayrockiii
Welcome to Puppy

- The shutdown button is fixed, and will work for Stardust 012
- Can't help you with your retrovol quest, - Sorry
- There has been shipped some initial code for a webcam app for Puppy. It is fairly simple, so let's hope someone builds a complete webcam recorder.

Sigmund

technosaurus

#95 Post by technosaurus »

would it be possible to have the program menu set to "root:3" so that the program menu comes up with a right click ... with current right click menu set to the unused left click "root:1" (would be great to have the desktop icon program in that menu)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

zigbert

#96 Post by zigbert »

technosaurus
I see in the Puppy 4.4 thread that some wants for the Program menu back. (Some even stated that the original menu is preferable). Personally, I think it is a waste of mouse-buttons to open the programs menu via mouse-right click. When I have used Stardust for 2 days, I have 'my' apps in the most-used menu. (I configure most-used as my mid-button). - In the days following, I hardly use the programs menu....... BUT, I don't use a pc the same way as other, so my pc-use should not be the profile for average Puppy users.

Defining a menu for left-click......well.....I don't know. I have a feeling that some puppians would complain about this too. In earlier days (Puppy 2), the program menu opened by left-click only, and Barry got credits when he managed to get a right-click menu instead. That time the argument was; it is irritating to get a menu when you missed an icon or a window heading (for moving).

Configuring menus in Stardust IS easy. - at least compared to what we had to do earlier.

BUT, dear Tecno
The most important is that you decide how YOU want it. I will not complain about you decisions. Edit /etc/xdg/_root_.jwmrc the way you like it.
YOU ARE THE MASTER OF PUPPY 4.4
would be great to have the desktop icon program in that menu
Is this Favorites menu?
Is this the same app that opens via the 'Add icon' tray?
Ideas for default Favorites items are welcome.

Sigmund

technosaurus

#97 Post by technosaurus »

just tweaked it to use the left click and also found it slightly annoying at first when clicking on the desktop to unfocus - forgivable if it had minimal desktop related stuff like show desktop, add icon, set background etc... since you only need to click again but it may be just as well with those added to root:2 middle click - (middle click is sometimes tricky if you have to use left and right buttons simultaneously to simulate on a trackpad, but perhaps I am the last person that has no middle button)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

invisible man

Glitch?

#98 Post by invisible man »

Wonderful distro, hoping to get all the bugs out, as long as a new version is in the works. Noticed I couldn't install the firewall from the network menu. Worked from the Control Center. ( Currently setting up Upup458, on HP 110NR netbook. with external LG optical burner ) I had nstalled Stardust 011, on my Acer Timeline 64, laptop. I Downloaded the Upup, from Stardust, Pburn froze when trying to burn the iso. Had to kill to close Pburn page, and still was it was still running in the background,-- When I tried restarting Pburn. I had to disconnect from the internet,-- to get P burn to work. Writing from 458 now. Have seen similar symptoms with Puppies, and Pburn, before but thought it might be due to my distro hopping, and testing. But this was from a wiped, optical hard drive. Know Barry mentioned fixing a Pburn issue recently on his blog; Don't know if it;s in the build, or the version? Invisible Man

Sage

#99 Post by Sage »

I was curious if there was any webcam software included with this stardust release?
NickBiker is/was the resident expert on everything about webcams.
A lot of his wisdom was imparted in:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7371
in 2006, although he seems to have been fairly quiet more recently. Perhaps it was all said back then. New derivative developers may have been overlooking his monumental work?

`f00

#100 Post by `f00 »

Just passin' thru .. used p431s11 ('virgin' liveCD) and nice'n'easy (heck, even before I had my morning coffee :lol: ) to get a functional recent pup (yay, Xvesa! sadly not an option in quirkys :| ), even more functional after a quick leafpad install ;) (Zig' you can trim the /usr/bin/leafpad =>nicoedit script or point to whatever may be the equivalent in future stardusts, no matter since the dotpet overwrites that orphan). Used the drag'n'drop xdelta gui to convert old q006 iso to q008 screenie 52k.. hmm "newfile.iso" is nice bright-greencard success and .. bugger, open as text does blackgeany :P .. but the md5 looks good screenie 61k (leaving name as-is since a nag memory recalls some oddness) .. and now to try pburn 319 (not my first choice but it's what it is :| ) - no pburn, sdb1 isn't an iso ... waste of time trying to use pburn (imo and for simple burniso2cd chore, I'm sure it's wonderful if one gets to know how to use it...), bye s11.

Hello q006 (and burniso2cd). Quick, simple and foolproof (even on a somewhat strange 'loaded' q006 :lol: ). screenie 92k

@habits and menus (ref some of the above) - agreed, I know that afterstep was always a bit of switch in habit for me (leftclick mainmenu) until I finally bound it to the habitual rightclick of the majority .. but then it needed a 2nd rightclick to clear the menu off the desktop so a halfstep back for that step 'forward' in as ;) and then there's midclick for client menu (habit in the 'box wms), since most of 'em don't use a tray or bar.. and then there's wmx :lol: , lovely if you like to learn new habits and/or gestures while editing the menus

hmm, possible idea (fwiw) for pmount gui - at the risk of making it look 'junky' .. perhaps a color-code of the drive/fs boxes might help in quick visual recognition for what's what (since the order top-to-bottom usually changes on a refresh in a single-page arrangement, occasionally I unmount a fs unintentionally by failing to look a bit closer at the fairly similar drive/fs boxes). Nothing garish (say a pastel tint/hue shift in the gtk to correspond to fs would do nicely if that's do-able or desirable, but this is merely an off-the-wall idea so take it fwiw).

onwards…

ttuuxxx

#101 Post by ttuuxxx »

If you guys want to read about real Star Dust news :) http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8550924.stm
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)