bigpup

puppy package manager color

#76 Post by bigpup »

Zigbert,

In Puppy package manager:

select configure package manager
select update now
see download databases

The font and background color, make it very hard to see the wording in this screen.(download databases)

Is your color themes causing this?
Last edited by bigpup on Wed 24 Feb 2010, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#77 Post by DaveS »

zigbert wrote:
tasmod wrote:I can never get my head around this obsession with 100mb. I would still be happy at 120mb or so and I don't think Puppy would suffer. Some nice features get dropped for sake of a few meg.
What do you miss?

Sigmund
Well, I think the obsession with Seamonkey when the rest of the free word uses Firefox is size driven. Dont misunderstand me, Seamonkey is fine, but it does put us out on a limb a bit.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

technosaurus

#78 Post by technosaurus »

If mozilla had been able to allow the new firefox and thunderbird (as well as many others) to be built using a shared libxul and run as "xulrunner apps" as originally planned, then there would be less need for seamonkey. Right now that is a work in progresse AFAIK - unless it has been abandoned atltogether. Fortunately sm and ff do share much more of the same base and through the "user agent" switcher you can get to many of the same sites that "require" firefox. Seamonkey is also fully themable so you can have it mimick firefox, opera, ie, pretty much anything you want if get the addons or you are willing to spend the time.

As for the 100MB size, although it predates google code, that is also the google code file size limit and many other file sharing sites. (limited file size traded for unlimited bandwidth)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

prehistoric

firewall help

#79 Post by prehistoric »

Zigbert,

Really new users may need a little more guidance about the firewall. When checking out new DSL/broadband connections, you may need to leave the firewall off so the technicians at the other end can see your machine. The Puppy firewall defaults to a kind of stealth mode which ignores pings, instead of rejecting them.

Assuming you don't have an ISP which insists you can only run Windoze, you may just need to leave the firewall off long enough to confirm that you can connect to a safe site while the on-site technician is at your location. This gives them a warm, fuzzy feeling of knowing what is going on. (This is an illusion, but important nonetheless.) Explaining stealth-mode firewalls and non-standard Linux to your average installer is a good way to end up with a report that you are up to something sneaky, or insistence that you need commercial support, at higher rates.

I should explain that in the U.S. most people probably get their broadband from the cable TV company. Those who get DSL from a telephone company, (and there are many competing companies,) are dealing with technicians expected to add computer networking on top of all they are supposed to know about maintaining wired lines for telephones. (Currently, telephone companies with legal requirements to maintain existing networks are in a bind, and short of money for either maintenance or innovation.) We here have some memorable stories about the caliber of technician who may show up when we need help with a computer connection. And, I've already mentioned what can happen if you order ISDN. (Did you know Scott Adams, who draws Dilbert, got his business experience, and a considerable part of his cynicism, while working on ISDN at a large, otherwise successful, telephone company?)

01micko

#80 Post by 01micko »

zigbert wrote:
technosaurus wrote:Stardust is 99% incorporated with the first pre-alpha of 4.4CE
I'll make an announcement tomorrow, but I am too tired now... so enjoy
http://puppy-development.googlecode.com ... -431-2.iso

- Abiword 2.8.2
- Gnumeric 1.10
- Gparetd 0.5.1
- Fbreader
......and ONLY 98Mb - I AM IMPRESSED!!! :D :D :D

Sigmund
...and jrb's sfs_linker and links to er... .tcl files... (hint: change the extension to .sfs :wink: ). Icecat is running beautifully.

edit: woops, sorry ziggy, didn't see 4.4 thread... but, while I'm here, a bug..

Code: Select all

<Group>
<Class>jwm-applet</Class>
<Option>noborder</Option>
<Option>notitle</Option>
<Option>sticky</Option>
<Option>nolist</Option>
<Option>layer:1</Option>
</Group>
layer:1 is missing, or did you change it?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

jpeps

#81 Post by jpeps »

DaveS wrote:
Well, I think the obsession with Seamonkey when the rest of the free word uses Firefox is size driven. Dont misunderstand me, Seamonkey is fine, but it does put us out on a limb a bit.
It's simple to link to a persistent copy of FF for regular use (just requires adding a few libs, and it's set to go). I use SM's html editor quite a bit, so glad it's there.

DaveS

#82 Post by DaveS »

jpeps wrote:
DaveS wrote:
It's simple to link to a persistent copy of FF for regular use (just requires adding a few libs, and it's set to go). I use SM's html editor quite a bit, so glad it's there.
Yes, no problem...........................
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46390
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jpeps

#83 Post by jpeps »

DaveS wrote:
Yes, no problem...........................
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46390
re: fonts

MSTT fonts are available, which work nicely.

bigpup

Seamonkey Update

#84 Post by bigpup »

Seamonkey is at version 2.0.3. Is this something that should be updated in Stardust?
Stardust is using version 1.1.18.

01micko

#85 Post by 01micko »

bigpup

seamonkey-1.1.18 is default in Puppy 4.3X , which is what Stardust is based on, I don't think zigbert intends to deviate from that too much.

I have compiled 2.0 and it works fine on Stardust ( and many other puppies ) , search in the "Additional Software Pets and Stuff" forum.

I do intend to compile 2.0.3 when I get a chance.

Cheers

zigbert

Re: puppy package manager color

#86 Post by zigbert »

bigpup wrote:Zigbert,

In Puppy package manager:

select configure package manager
select update now
see download databases

The font and background color, make it very hard to see the wording in this screen.(download databases)

Is your color themes causing this?
It is very clear that Barry and zigbert does agree in many things, but the design taste seems to be somewhat different. YES, my color-scheme causes this. :)

Sigmund

zigbert

#87 Post by zigbert »

Mick wrote:a bug..

Code: Select all

<Group>
<Class>jwm-applet</Class>
<Option>noborder</Option>
<Option>notitle</Option>
<Option>sticky</Option>
<Option>nolist</Option>
<Option>layer:1</Option>
</Group>
I have left it out, because jwm crashes if you specify a layer option during boot. I am in contact with our Bling-Core-Guru. Let's see if he can help us.

Sigmund

zigbert

Re: Seamonkey Update

#88 Post by zigbert »

bigpup wrote:Seamonkey is at version 2.0.3. Is this something that should be updated in Stardust?
Stardust is using version 1.1.18.
As Mick stated, Puppy Stardust is meant to evolve ontop of Puppy 4.3.1. We should move our focus over to Puppy 4.4. This is a much better playground for major updates. tecnosaurus has already given us updated office-apps, and I am sure he won't stop with that.......

Sigmund

01micko

#89 Post by 01micko »

zigbert wrote:
Mick wrote:a bug..
I have left it out, because jwm crashes if you specify a layer option during boot. I am in contact with our Bling-Core-Guru. Let's see if he can help us.

Sigmund
Ah, ok, didn't realise, that's why maybe I thought you took it out...

....hmmmmm... now let's see if our Bling-Core-Guru can do something.. :)

Cheers

Mick

abushcrafter

Bug

#90 Post by abushcrafter »

In the PCC, "gtk-chtheme" fails to launch.

01micko

#91 Post by 01micko »

zigbert wrote:
01micko wrote:Rob has just updated Startmount to ver 0.4.0.
I have updated. Thank you.

Startmount is a really nice tool, however it does not cooperate 100% with the DuDE (starDust Desktop Environment :D ). The reason is that /root/Startup/start-mount.sh is run AFTER jwm is loaded. - When I add a directory from sda6 (mounted via Startmount) to Favorites, it is not detected as a Directory. Simply because it is not mounted when jwm builds the Favorites menu. To get this perfect, /etc/rc.d/lc.local would be a better place for mounting of drives.

Sigmund
This is fixed for version 0.5.0 (not out just yet). Hopefully DUDE ( :lol: ) will cooperate.

rayrockiii

Some questions

#92 Post by rayrockiii »

DaveS wrote:Shutdown button non function in utility tray caused by typo in /root/.stardust/trays/Utility_tray.rc. '<' is missing from start of closetag for traybotton "leave puppy"
Hello everyone,

I have been living in these forums the last few days heavily enjoying Puppy Linux with Stardust. What a wonderful OS.

DaveS, I found a temporary way to fix that utility tray shutdown. If you add the missing '<' in Utility_tray.rc and then choose "restart JVM" from the leave menu, the shutdown change will then take hold and work. However, as soon as you go back into Ptray and click "Apply changes", the file reverts back to having the missing '<' . I was wondering if you or anyone else knows how to apply the changes and have it hold without reverting back, when applying changes through Ptray 0.8?

I am also experiencing an interesting issue where retrovol defaults to the built-in microphone in my usb webcam upon a reboot. If I want it to revert back to my sound card, I need to restart the machine and unplug the webcam before the OS loads. Has anyone else experienced this?

I was curious if there was any webcam software included with this stardust release?

Thanks for any help that you can give me! :)

zigbert

#93 Post by zigbert »

01micko wrote:This is fixed for version 0.5.0 (not out just yet). Hopefully DUDE ( :lol: ) will cooperate.
Sounds great

Sigmund

zigbert

#94 Post by zigbert »

rayrockiii
Welcome to Puppy

- The shutdown button is fixed, and will work for Stardust 012
- Can't help you with your retrovol quest, - Sorry
- There has been shipped some initial code for a webcam app for Puppy. It is fairly simple, so let's hope someone builds a complete webcam recorder.

Sigmund

technosaurus

#95 Post by technosaurus »

would it be possible to have the program menu set to "root:3" so that the program menu comes up with a right click ... with current right click menu set to the unused left click "root:1" (would be great to have the desktop icon program in that menu)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].