Textadept Text Editor

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
aragon

Textadept Text Editor

#1 Post by aragon »

URL: http://code.google.com/p/textadept/
Version: 2.0
Textadept is a fast, minimalist, and ridiculously extensible text editor for Linux, Mac OSX, and Windows. At its core lies less than 2000 lines of C code, and that's how it always will be. While other editors rely on recordable macros to speed up workflow, shell scripts to quickly transform text, and static side panes to manage your documents, files, and more, Textadept takes it to the extreme: it gives you complete control over the entire application using the embedded Lua language. Lua is nearly as fast as C, and has a very small footprint. In fact, most of Textadept is written in Lua.
Compiled and basically tested in 4.31. No additional dependencies.

I could actually not say much about it other than that it works. The editor is fully controllable/configurable/extensible via it's lua-interface. Because of that, i've included all docs (exception: doxygen).

Tip by DMcCunney.

aragon

DMcCunney

Re: Textadept Text Editor

#2 Post by DMcCunney »

aragon wrote:I could actually not say much about it other than that it works. The editor is fully controllable/configurable/extensible via it's lua-interface. Because of that, i've included all docs (exception: doxygen).

Tip by DMcCunney.
One note for those interested. TextAdept is not a tabbed editor. You can divide the edit window horizontally and vertically, and show different files or different parts of the same file in the divisions, but it doesn't do tabs. (Sorry, ttuuxx :P)

It looks like this:

The chap behind TextAdept is also responsible for SciTE-st. SciTE-st is a fork of the SciTE editor that uses Lua to do dynamic lexing. SciTE (and an assortment of other editors, including Geany) is based on Neil Hodgson's Scintilla edit control, which provides syntax highlighting and code folding for a large number of programming languages.

SciTE-st is here: http://caladbolg.net/scite_st.php
______
Dennis

aragon

#3 Post by aragon »

DMcCunney wrote:TextAdept is not a tabbed editor. You can divide the edit window horizontally and vertically, and show different files or different parts of the same file in the divisions, but it doesn't do tabs. (Sorry, ttuuxx :P)
actually true, but if one (not me :lol: ) dives into lua, he/she could write a tabbed interface extension...

but i don't think textaddept with it's flexible interface needs a tabbed option as you could just doubleclick on one of the loaded buffers to display it in the activated window-tile.

aragon

DMcCunney

#4 Post by DMcCunney »

aragon wrote:
DMcCunney wrote:TextAdept is not a tabbed editor. You can divide the edit window horizontally and vertically, and show different files or different parts of the same file in the divisions, but it doesn't do tabs. (Sorry, ttuuxx :P)
actually true, but if one (not me :lol: ) dives into lua, he/she could write a tabbed interface extension...
True. It is "ridiculously extensible"... :P
but i don't think textaddept with it's flexible interface needs a tabbed option as you could just doubleclick on one of the loaded buffers to display it in the activated window-tile.
Agreed. I just didn't want folks to expect tabs and be disappointed.
______
Dennis