Google-Chrome beta 2

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
abushcrafter

#16 Post by abushcrafter »

I get these errors with the sandbox enabled:

Code: Select all

# ./google-chrome 
./google-chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by ./google-chrome)
/opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
Cannot chdir to / after chroot: Stale NFS file handle
[21364:21364:18809708245:ERROR:/usr/local/google/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/chrome/browser/zygote_main_linux.cc(528)] Failed to read from chroot pipe: 0
[21364:21364:18809708435:FATAL:/usr/local/google/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/chrome/browser/zygote_main_linux.cc(621)] Failed to enter sandbox. Fail safe abort. (errno: 0)
<I killed it here as it does not do any thing. Waited around 5mins to see if it did any thing but it did not do any thing.>
#
Stardust 012 with a pupsave.
Last edited by abushcrafter on Mon 01 Mar 2010, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

lugligino

#17 Post by lugligino »

abushcrafter wrote:I get these errors with the sandbox enabled:

# ./google-chrome 
./google-chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by ./google-chrome)
/opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
[21364:21364:18809708245:ERROR:/usr/local/google/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/chrome/browser/zygote_main_linux.cc(528)] Failed to read from chroot pipe: 0
[21364:21364:18809708435:FATAL:/usr/local/google/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/chrome/browser/zygote_main_linux.cc(621)] Failed to enter sandbox. Fail safe abort. (errno: 0)
<I killed it here as it does not do any thing. Waited around 5mins to see if it did any thing but it did not.>
#
Stardust 012 with a pupsave.
My opinion is you have to fix first the error "Stale NFS file handle" that probably derives from a corruption of the filesystem. Start puppy with the live-cd and use the option puppy pfix=fsck (you are using puppy 4.3, isn't it?). If fsck doesn't start in automatic unmount the partition (i.e. /dev/sda2) where puppy is stored and start the command e2fsck /dev/sda2 from console. This should fix errors in your filesystem and it's the first step to do.

DMcCunney

#18 Post by DMcCunney »

What happens if you don't have the sandbox enabled?

Personally, I don't try to use it here. It's largely Windows specific, since Windows has masses of vulnerabilities. It's very much a work in progress on the Linux side, and it's not clear how much you really need it.

If I just execute Chrome directly, it works fine.
______
Dennis

DMcCunney

#19 Post by DMcCunney »

lugligino wrote:
DMcCunney wrote: What are the specs on the machine you run Puppy on, and what version of Chrome is yours? There are a couple of different Chrome pets floating around on the forums. I think I'm using Grumpy Wolfe's PET but can't swear to it.
I have a very old notebook HP Omnibook Xe2 (1999 born, PII 256MB Ram, rivived by Puppy 4.3.1) :roll:
Mine is a bit newer: a Fujitsu Lifebook p2110 from 2002, with an 867mhz Crusoe processor, 256MB of RAM, a 40GB UDMA 4 HS, and ATI Rage Pro Mobility graphics with 8MB video RAM.
Everyone may expect that view flash films in youtube in a decent way is too much hard for my PC, but I can see well internet TV streaming using Gxine plugin in Seamokey (out of the box in Puppy). I can see the CPU indicator in the bar that reach himalaian heights, PC temperature increases :twisted: , but the vision is good with a sufficient fps and stable.
Okay. I have the Gxine plugin here, too, but don't try to watch Internet TV.
Flash vision, instead, is very poor because fps are too much low but CPU seems not very busy. So my hope is to abandon flash for html5 hoping that resource management is better.
Whether you can do that depends on how soon the rest of the web moves to HTML5. Right now, Youtube's beta is the only rollout I know of. (There may be others I haven't seen.)
I downloaded the new version goggle-chrome-beta3.pet by GrumpyWolfe and I'll try it later. I'll keep you informed.
Please do.

I just installed it, and haven't had a chance to test yet, but I expect to see similar results to beta 2. HTML5 in Youtube will work, but I'll see poor FPS and still pictures instead of smooth motion video. I suspect my CPU and graphics adapter just aren't up to the load, and there's not a lot Puppy can do about it.
I also tried playflash.pet but gxine crashes.
I haven't tried that one.
Do you remember how transfer console text to a file, so I can show you the errors?
Assuming you're in rxvt, the following from the man page may help:

TEXT SELECTION AND INSERTION

The behaviour of text selection and insertion mechanism is similar to xterm(1).

Selection:
    Left click at the beginning of the region, drag to the end of the region and release; Right click to extend the marked region; Left double-click to select a word; Left triple-click to select the entire line.

Insertion:
    Pressing and releasing the Middle mouse button (or Shift-Insert) in an rxvt window causes the current text selection to be inserted as if it had been typed on the keyboard. 
______
Dennis

abushcrafter

#20 Post by abushcrafter »

DMcCunney wrote:

Personally, I don't try to use it here. It's largely Windows specific, since Windows has masses of vulnerabilities. It's very much a work in progress on the Linux side, and it's not clear how much you really need it.

If I just execute Chrome directly, it works fine.
______
Dennis
It works without the sandbox.

My flash drive and pupsave are ok. With the sandbox enabled here are the errors after trying it again:

# ./google-chrome 
[25045:25045:1368716958:ERROR:/usr/local/google/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/chrome/browser/zygote_main_linux.cc(528)] Failed to read from chroot pipe: 0
[25045:25045:1368717157:FATAL:/usr/local/google/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/chrome/browser/zygote_main_linux.cc(621)] Failed to enter sandbox. Fail safe abort. (errno: 0)
<I killed it here as it does not do any thing. Waited around 10mins to see if it did any thing but it did not do any thing.> 
# 

DMcCunney

#21 Post by DMcCunney »

abushcrafter wrote:
DMcCunney wrote:
It works without the sandbox.
"Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"
"So don't do that!" :P

Don't use the sandbox.
My flash drive and pupsave are ok. With the sandbox enabled here are the errors after trying it again:

# ./google-chrome 
[25045:25045:1368716958:ERROR:/usr/local/google/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/chrome/browser/zygote_main_linux.cc(528)] Failed to read from chroot pipe: 0
[25045:25045:1368717157:FATAL:/usr/local/google/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/chrome/browser/zygote_main_linux.cc(621)] Failed to enter sandbox. Fail safe abort. (errno: 0)
<I killed it here as it does not do any thing. Waited around 10mins to see if it did any thing but it did not do any thing.> 
# 
I think the "Cannot chdir to / after chroot: Stale NFS file handle " is the problem, and the rest stems from that. As mentioned, the sandbox is Windows specific. I wouldn't expect it to work under Linux. I'm not particularly concerned about vulnerabilities because I am using Linux, and the majority of the bad stuff the sandbox is intended to ward against targets Windows and won't work on Linux.
______
Dennis

lugligino

#22 Post by lugligino »

lugligino wrote:Hi GrumpyWolf
I tried beta2 on my old laptop and it works great. I :) it's fast when loads pages and Flash is OK. Unfortunately Flash is a little heavy for the PII of my PC. I can see no more than 1 frame per second. :( Curiously using seamonkey I can have a good TV streaming with gxine while see a film on youtube is a mess with every browser.
I read that Chrome can work using Html5 that is less heavy for CPU. Is it possible to use it instead of Flash?
Beta2 asks me to install a plugin where gxine should work with a link that starts Mediaplayer (it doesn't install). :? Any hint?
Hi,
I tried goggle-chrome-beta3.pet but there are no news: html5 doesn't work in youtube and media player plugin is required in some sites but it's not possible load gxine or similar plugins.
Like someone advice me I try to read flv with gxine in /tmp but also this didn't work and you can see the application error below:

# gxine
AFD changed from -2 to -1
The program 'gxine' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 372 error_code 11 request_code 140 minor_code 19)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
   option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.
)
gxine crashes. If I try to start gxine again the result is

# gxine
AFD changed from -2 to -1
gxine doesn't crash but goes to stop state.
Hints?

puppet

#23 Post by puppet »

I've been playing on my old laptop to see if it will play flash smoothly on HTML5 and came across this post, funnily enough i'm using the HP XE2 PII 400mhz, did you get HTML5 video to play or am I asking to much of the 12 year old technology :( Flash has always maxxed out the CPU i was hoping HTML5 would work better.