How to link desktop icon to SFS files?

Using applications, configuring, problems
ndujoe1

How to link desktop icon to SFS files?

#1 Post by ndujoe1 »

I use SFS files. Usually when I want to use one, I click on it. When finished I click on it again to unmount it.

It is possible to create a desktop link that references the operating program file and works when the SFS is mounted and simply does nothing if it is not mounted?

I know that one can load these SFSs through the bootmanager but I prefer to manage them individually when I need them.

seaside

#2 Post by seaside »

ndujoe1,

I'm not sure what you're after, but if you know exactly where the SFS file will be mounted, you could simple put it on the desktop with the "path/to/the/executable".

If the path isn't available (not mounted) then the desktop item will appear as a triangle on the desktop.

s

willhunt

#3 Post by willhunt »

see this thread to mount sfs files on the fly then just create a script to call sfslinker
then create desktop icon :)
or the little orange triangle thingie works go to :)
[url=http://hostfile.org/icepak.pet]176 Icewm Themes :!:[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/39fl3x]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/2q7cbp]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Interesting and thanks for the link to the other thread about the Slinker.

I barely get how it is used but one can have a very small puppy on an old computer and only load the program one need at that moment and then give it back to the storage on the hardware and the RAM will not need to be bloated with everything loaded at boot.

Sounds very good to me but I know almsot nothigns so. :)

Could this also be used to get save in frugal install of Ubuntu and such linux that doesn't save on NTFS?

I take all the changes and makes a sfs file of them and each time I log in I click on the latest sfs and there all the changes are made new again a kind of back up of yesterday?

Caveat??? I know squat what a sfs is and how one make them. Can ubuntu make such?

Is it like UnionFS so it is compressed files GZ or LZ?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

It is possible to create a desktop link that references the operating program file and works when the SFS is mounted and simply does nothing if it is not mounted?
Surely you can just mount the SFS, find the location of the program and drag it onto the pinboard?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

ndujoe1

How ot Link Sesktop icon to SFS files? (Solved )

#6 Post by ndujoe1 »

Well that was a simple elegant solution. As I always state in the IRC puppylinux forum there are no dumb questions. Though as it turned out mine might have been considered one, with such an obvious remedy.

Thanks.

nubc

#7 Post by nubc »

Um, which one was the elegant solution?

ndujoe1

elegant solution

#8 Post by ndujoe1 »

Dragging the icon from the SFS while mounted to the desktop.

When it is mount the link works.

When it is not mounted the yellow caution sign appears to show that it is not available.