Eyetoy with Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
linbie

Eyetoy with Puppy

#1 Post by linbie »

Hi

I am as per my signature a complete Linux newbie. I have however been able to get Puppy frugal install dual boot onto a laptop (very old) and a newish desktop.

I have an old eyetoy from a PS2 that I would like to get working under Puppy.

The hardware manager detects the device when plugged in and camstream detects the video source. However when the viewer is opened all I see is a black screen. The red light on the camera goes out when the viewer is turned on suggesting that it is being activated.

I am not sure if I need specific drivers and if so how to install them.

There is a discussion on the Ubuntu forums here but I am afraid it is a little beyond me.

I would appreciate any help

The search term eyetoy on these forums yields no threads.
Linbie (LINux newBIE)

Dell Inspirion 2500, 900MHz Celeron, 20GB HDD, 128MB RAM, CD/DVD Player, Netgear USB wireless adapter

Puppy 4.3.1 frugal dual boot with WIN XP

amigo

#2 Post by amigo »

You need a kernel-module (driver) for the camera. here's the URL to the latest source.
http://www.rastageeks.org/downloads/ov5 ... 5.9.tar.gz
Apparently to get sound working you have to set it up with /dev/dsp1 -you'll have to get someone closer to Puppy to help you get it going, I'm afraid, but i wanted to help by putting what info I could find here for you or others.
Once the kernel module is installed in /lib/modules/`uname -r`, this will load it and the necessary pre-requisites:

modprobe videodev
modprobe i2c_core
insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/ov51x.ko
insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/ov519_decomp.ko

You need either xawtv or VLC media player for the sound to work

Quote from the thread you mentioned:
"Hi, I've found that the audio device of the camera is /dev/dsp1, so I've tried it with VLC media player...In VLC go to the File menù and then to "Open Capture Device", and on audio peripheral line, change this "/dev/dsp"to"/dev/dsp1"... If you don't do it,a terrible sound will go out from your speakers! I think it should work with the other programs that can use the same config. For example, "Skype" in it's "Sound Device" options,(ALSA mode)allow you to use "Logitech Eye Toy USB Camera" as Audio In, or (in OSS mode) /dev/dsp - /dev/dsp1. That's all!