Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 20 Aug 2014, 06:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Can Juno run under Wine in Lighthouse Pup?
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Linuxblonde

PostPosted: Fri 12 Feb 2010, 18:35    Post_subject:  Can Juno run under Wine in Lighthouse Pup?  

I am so happy; I got Mom's new-to-her laptop running sweetly with Lighthouse Pup.

Her old IBM thinkpad 380D has all her old accumulated Juno email on it, which she now says she would like to access on the new laptop.

Here's what I thought I would do:

Back up her old Juno files using their backup program in Win98 (easy).

Copy that file to a CD using my trusty external Backpack (also easy).

Try to install Juno under WIne in Lighthouse (here is where I need help).

Unpack the backup file to the new Juno install in WIne (assuming the new install is possible).

Otherwise, I fear I will have to re-partition and make this a dual-boot machine, just so she can see her old email. That would be a shame, imho.

Does anyone think that Juno will work under Wine; is it even worth a try?

Any other ideas you would be kind enough to share?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards, and happy Valentine's Day!

Sara Ann
Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Fri 12 Feb 2010, 20:06    Post_subject:  

Hi! Smile

I don't have any idea as to how many emails your mum's Juno has but one possibility that does come immediately to my mind - given if you have sufficient time and energy - would be to run her Juno programme under its current given environment ( Windows 98 in this case ) and save each email to either a .txt format extension or an .eml format extension. Usually whenever you have an email opened in whatever programme if you go to "File" on the menubar there is an option to scroll down to "Save email as...", see what I mean?

Of course if mum's email goes into the thousands like mine such a possibility would be absurd. Wink

Another idea though? Perhaps Juno already saves its email in the .eml extension? Many programmes do. If such is the case then all that would be required is to isolate the folder/directory where said emails are held, copy them to the new Puppy install to "/root/my-documents", and you could use "SeaMonkey Mail" to easily access them as this programme will see any emails of the .eml format.

As to Juno running on Wine? That I haven't a clue but someone will reply shortly I'm certain of it. Smile In the meantime I might suggest looking at Wine's website ( their URL eludes me at the moment, sorry! ) as I believe they have a comprehensive listing of programmes which will run under their environment.

I really hope this is of some help?

Keep us informed, alright? And we hope you enjoy Puppy as we do!

Amicalement/Cheers,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

DMcCunney

PostPosted: Sat 13 Feb 2010, 19:24    Post_subject:  

Eyes-Only wrote:
Another idea though? Perhaps Juno already saves its email in the .eml extension? Many programmes do. If such is the case then all that would be required is to isolate the folder/directory where said emails are held, copy them to the new Puppy install to "/root/my-documents", and you could use "SeaMonkey Mail" to easily access them as this programme will see any emails of the .eml format.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. I don't recall it really having an export facilty, though I believe you can save individual messages as text files.

Juno uses a proprietary format, with a atr file that seems to be an index, and a bdb file that is the actual mail store.

It's been a while since I had to deal with it: my SO has a Juno account, but they've largely shifted to web based, and I was able to get her GMail account to check and retrieve her Juno mail, so she sees everything in one place.

Supporting it was a pain, and I'm happy to not have to anymore.
______
Dennis
nitehawk

PostPosted: Sun 14 Feb 2010, 16:31    Post_subject:  

I use the free Juno email,...(but I don't use the Juno dialup ISP). I previously had dialup through Juno (and the little "free" 10-hr.-per-month ISP). I still have the little "freebie" service,..but can no longer get to it through Linux. I can use my other dialup ISP service (non-proprietary) to access my Juno email on the web. Alas,..I used to be able to use the Juno dialup ISP service with Puppy,...but they've changed something, and I no longer can do that (just get my Juno email by using another non-proprietary dialup service). I've tried using the Juno installer under Wine,....but it just won't work, I'm afraid. (same with Netzero,..they're the same company).
For some good dialup services (for Linux)...try
http://www.freedomlist.com
and you can access the free Juno email from one of those ISP services (I'm using the little, cheap, vtisp.com right now).
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum