Pup.ca

News, happenings
Caneri

#46 Post by Caneri »

@ttuuxxx...yup .ca and .asia are the same now.
If my host shuts me down (which is what they are saying) then both are offline.

I just looked at my 3.5G data billing and a few iso cost me $23.00.
This obviously will not work so it appears developers will have to take care of their own work...sorry gang but that's just far to expensive even with donations. It would cost thousands of dollars to backup locally.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

cthisbear

#47 Post by cthisbear »

Uncle Eric:

I sent you $50 >>Paypal as you never said yes.

You can have the other $50 ...if you need it.

Keep your chin up...Chris.

puppyluvr

#48 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Eric, is this related to my stuff again??? I mean I would obviously pull everything off if it is,,,???
I mean, I`m back, and now....IDK....Was it a problem when I was gone for 6 mths???
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Caneri

#49 Post by Caneri »

@Jay...nope...this is my host being odd. Nothing to do with your stuff.
You prolly should find a home or at least backup your stuff in case I get the boot.

@Chris...TY ol' boy. I have no solution as to what to do next.

@prehistoric.... your words that the host is using extortion may have some merit. Now that I think of it, my host has just rolled out VPS service (at a higher cost for sure)....hmmm I wonder if they want me to move there.

I find it unacceptable that files have been deleted without warning because they generate traffic when I've been using this same service for a long time for the same purpose. Without a stable server the .ca project is not viable as I found out on the VPS we ran for over one and a half years previously.

@russoodle...cripes I forgot you have WPup's stuff...rats.
Thanks for steeping up...good job!!
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Caneri

#50 Post by Caneri »

@Lobster...yup it's been a lot of fun and a long journey. I'm still chasing my original plan with telus.....large companies are hard to move though....;-)

@Jack....you are probably right. This stuff needs a big shooter to host.
I have one organization in mind that contacted me years ago but they charge for all bandwidth so it would be far too much.

@All.....make sure you have backups in case I am shut down without warning or more files disappear. I honestly have no solutions for this.
Chinese Proverb[/color]

RetroTechGuy

#51 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Caneri wrote:@Lobster...yup it's been a lot of fun and a long journey. I'm still chasing my original plan with telus.....large companies are hard to move though....;-)

@Jack....you are probably right. This stuff needs a big shooter to host.
I have one organization in mind that contacted me years ago but they charge for all bandwidth so it would be far too much.

@All.....make sure you have backups in case I am shut down without warning or more files disappear. I honestly have no solutions for this.
Let me ask again, as I'm really not sure. Would that go-daddy web host be an appropriate solution? If it is truly unlimited space, and unlimited bandwidth, that ought to be enough ;) . Anyone want to check on it?

I suspect a few of us could rub a couple nickels together and find a way to buy the cheaper, longer term contract.

Discussion?

(what would be best is if such an account could suck all the files directly from the current host, without going through Caneri's personal ISP, which would pull the files down, and then push them back up)

Caneri

#52 Post by Caneri »

Hi RetroTechGuy,

I didn't mean to be rude...I'm just busy.

Those unlimited accounts are not as they appear.
Mostly, they are a come-on to get customers. I have contacted many many hosts and when I tell them my needs they just say NO as unlimited is really not unlimited and fair use policies come into play as well.

They are usually based on small machines for users that what a web page and a few files or an email account. Some may be better than others but the machines are far too small for this stuff.

Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

russoodle

#53 Post by russoodle »

What Caneri just said...

my experience has been the same, RetroTechGuy, which is why i had to move on to a VPS from my "unlimited" account...

"unlimited" in that sense doesn't really mean unlimited at all, there are too many ifs'n'buts :(
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

RetroTechGuy

#54 Post by RetroTechGuy »

russoodle wrote:What Caneri just said...

my experience has been the same, RetroTechGuy, which is why i had to move on to a VPS from my "unlimited" account...

"unlimited" in that sense doesn't really mean unlimited at all, there are too many ifs'n'buts :(
Thanks for the response, gentlemen. I thought if that would solve the crisis, it might be worth looking into (at the price shown, I might have funded it myself, in order to get it started).

Do you know of a host that does sell a realistically usable host site? What would it really cost to get the archive up?

Or, as someone else suggested, could we get Archive.org to host the data for us? We already have some of the Puppy stuff there. Does anyone have contacts inside? This sort of stuff seems right up their alley...

RetroTechGuy

#55 Post by RetroTechGuy »

russoodle wrote:What Caneri just said...

So one of my friends suggested also looking at UW-Madison, perhaps MIT, and Sourceforge.

UW looks fairly promising:
http://wisconsinlinux.org/index.php/Wis ... inux_Users
http://mirror.services.wisc.edu/

In particular, if UW could be convinced to mirror the puppy.ca site, before it is lost...

Sourceforge also looks rather promising:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sitele ... eForge.net
The project must be producing software, be producing documentation for software, be packaging software, or be producing an aggregate (e.g. distro) of software.
A quick search for MIT looks as if they might be fairly limited on what they want to host.

dejan555

#56 Post by dejan555 »

RetroTechGuy the problem here might be that even though puppylinux.ca is our most resourcefull place for packages and isos, these still remain unofficial packages, otherwise they could be hosted on puppylinux's ibiblio account I believe, so I doubt any of them would host. I'm afraid the only solution would be standalone non-shared server.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

RetroTechGuy

#57 Post by RetroTechGuy »

dejan555 wrote:RetroTechGuy the problem here might be that even though puppylinux.ca is our most resourcefull place for packages and isos, these still remain unofficial packages, otherwise they could be hosted on puppylinux's ibiblio account I believe, so I doubt any of them would host. I'm afraid the only solution would be standalone non-shared server.
Would we not fall under "linux software" (see the right side menu), which is to be found on ibiblio...

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/

dejan555

#58 Post by dejan555 »

Yes, but Barry already has account there for official repo and puppy isos, why do you think then Caneri had to host all those files by himself? I haven't read their terms and rules but could we persuade Barry to create subfolder there for "unofficial" packages where files from .ca could be hosted? Isn't that what big distros have "user contributed" repo or something like that?
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

RetroTechGuy

#59 Post by RetroTechGuy »

dejan555 wrote:Yes, but Barry already has account there for official repo and puppy isos, why do you think then Caneri had to host all those files by himself? I haven't read their terms and rules but could we persuade Barry to create subfolder there for "unofficial" packages where files from .ca could be hosted? Isn't that what big distros have "user contributed" repo or something like that?
That's one possibility.

Note that there is "Burning Thunder Puppy" being hosted/mirrored... As are "PuppyRus" (Russian), and Quirky (each as separate "distros")... So it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to add a semi-coordinated site for unofficial Puppy software, and distros...

ttuuxxx

#60 Post by ttuuxxx »

I think ibiblio has a limited on files being hosted for a duration of time. Like they kind of like older ones removed.

The only way I think we could ever get this solved is to have a major player donate a server or server space, like
USA=Bell telephone
Australia=Telstra
Canada=Bell Canada
One of those might be possible, by I have no Idea how to contact the right departments.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

RetroTechGuy

#61 Post by RetroTechGuy »

ttuuxxx wrote:I think ibiblio has a limited on files being hosted for a duration of time. Like they kind of like older ones removed.

The only way I think we could ever get this solved is to have a major player donate a server or server space, like
USA=Bell telephone
Australia=Telstra
Canada=Bell Canada
One of those might be possible, by I have no Idea how to contact the right departments.
ttuuxxx
I'm thinking some of the Universities might be willing to help (it's useful, non-commercial, and open source)...

BTW, can you give me an estimate of how much data is on the site? I'm sorta guessing 10's of GB, probably not 100's of GB...

If I can get a decent guess, at least we'll know what we're looking for in the way of storage.

smokey01

#62 Post by smokey01 »

Another method might be to have a cooperative arrangement. This way we could have our own server. It would require funding but with the amount of Puppy users I'm sure many would donate, like a membership. No pay no play. It would just need someone with the smarts to organise and run it. A $100 per year would not be unreasonable and look at the benefits. The price could even be considerably less with more members. This would also add an extra layer of control to protect the server and members.
I know we all like free stuff but nothing is really free there are always hidden costs. Ask anyone who is married.

You never know Eric may even be interested.

RetroTechGuy

#63 Post by RetroTechGuy »

smokey01 wrote:Another method might be to have a cooperative arrangement. This way we could have our own server. It would require funding but with the amount of Puppy users I'm sure many would donate, like a membership. No pay no play. It would just need someone with the smarts to organise and run it. A $100 per year would not be unreasonable and look at the benefits. The price could even be considerably less with more members. This would also add an extra layer of control to protect the server and members.
I know we all like free stuff but nothing is really free there are always hidden costs. Ask anyone who is married.
I'm rather getting the impression that the problem is finding a cooperative host site (one that won't mind say 60GB/month traffic), not finding funding to support it... (if it is simply a funding issue, what would it take to "buy off" the current host's negative attitude? -- at least that might buy some time)

smokey01

#64 Post by smokey01 »

My point was, if we owned the server then we don't have that hosting problem.

I'm sure there will also be lots of complaints about paying too as many are not flash with cash. I'm sure this could be worked through though.

RetroTechGuy

#65 Post by RetroTechGuy »

smokey01 wrote:My point was, if we owned the server then we don't have that hosting problem.

I'm sure there will also be lots of complaints about paying too as many are not flash with cash. I'm sure this could be worked through though.
But the server still needs a pipe to the outside world (and thus we'd have to find an ISP that would permit 60GB/month traffic)... This would be the advantage to a external hosting site (i.e. the pipe is included in the hosting service -- I don't think that the storage space is an issue, but rather the bandwidth).