Pup.ca

News, happenings
john biles

#16 Post by john biles »

Hello CatDude,
Thank You for your support of TEENpup 2009 Legacy. I assuming you resent Caneri the iso file he was missing. Thanks Again!
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Caneri

#17 Post by Caneri »

Hi All,

Well I finally have an answer from my host and the outcome is a disaster.
The following reply is their answer and I fear I will be shut down soon.

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Our system will remove large files that are generating enough traffic. Using our servers for the purposes for file storage is against our terms of service.

Regards,
Norman
Netfirms Support Team.
Ok..so the scamble is on!!

@all ftp accounts.

Pls start to find other areas for your files as this time there is no where for me to go as no other host will accept me with the way I use a server...sorry folks!!
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

drongo

Very odd

#18 Post by drongo »

Well obviously they don't want to support high traffic, but really!

What else can you use a server for other than file storage?

big_bass

#19 Post by big_bass »

Eric (Caneri )

I know that doesn't sound good ATM

but I want to say thank you very much for all your hard work
with the largest "puppy providers" server on the planet

I have a lot of work just trying to manage the stuff I do
I can't imagine doing that for everyone else too

things always workout well for those who give :wink:
Joe

Caneri

#20 Post by Caneri »

To All that read this in Puppyland and beyond.

With the recent events and my lack of any proper solutions please consider the following.

I am willing to point the puppylinux.ca and puppylinux.asia domains at a dedicated IP that resides on a proper server. This will be decided by the community and not by any one persons offer or anyone without server admin experience or for that matter myself.

Whoever has corporate sponsorship will be preferred as it will take a lot of power to host these domains.

This is what is needed as follows….

On a well run server with a skilled admin there will be 30GB to 40GB/day of data transfers. 1Gb of ram with a dual core processor is best so as to run crons and use the command shell properly. I tried to use 512mb ram and the server is too slow to respond with the loads.

On an open server the usage will double at least to 60GB/day and the ram should double as well…in my opinion at least.

I am working on a corporate sponsor (I have been bugging them for 4 or 5 years now so no promises).

The relationship with my current host has been strained recently so in some ways the recent events are not unexpected but still a bit frustrating…grrrr.

It’s been a good long run for me and I’ve enjoyed the community very much….so all my best to y’all.

It comes down to this….

Never say never!!

This time I’m in a pickle for sure.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

russoodle

I can offer some space..

#21 Post by russoodle »

Hi Eric,

This is a lousy predicament for you to be in and devastating news for the whole community.

Wish i could wave a big Puppy stick and make all this go away but the best i can do is suggest devs PM or email me if you think i might be able to help with a home for your files.

Just to make it clear: i'm not in a position to offer unlimited resources as some might, but i'm more than happy to help with what i have.
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#22 Post by Lobster »

I am working on a corporate sponsor
:) I remember this was your initial intent
and then you funded it yourself.
I big thank you Eric and to Prithish who I know has been
helping with the programming side

I know it has been quite a journey

Thanks for the facts and figures
What other solutions are available to us?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

RetroTechGuy

#23 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Caneri wrote:To All that read this in Puppyland and beyond.

With the recent events and my lack of any proper solutions please consider the following.

I am willing to point the puppylinux.ca and puppylinux.asia domains at a dedicated IP that resides on a proper server. This will be decided by the community and not by any one persons offer or anyone without server admin experience or for that matter myself.

Whoever has corporate sponsorship will be preferred as it will take a lot of power to host these domains.

This is what is needed as follows….

On a well run server with a skilled admin there will be 30GB to 40GB/day of data transfers. 1Gb of ram with a dual core processor is best so as to run crons and use the command shell properly. I tried to use 512mb ram and the server is too slow to respond with the loads.

On an open server the usage will double at least to 60GB/day and the ram should double as well…in my opinion at least.

I am working on a corporate sponsor (I have been bugging them for 4 or 5 years now so no promises).

The relationship with my current host has been strained recently so in some ways the recent events are not unexpected but still a bit frustrating…grrrr.

It’s been a good long run for me and I’ve enjoyed the community very much….so all my best to y’all.

It comes down to this….

Never say never!!

This time I’m in a pickle for sure.

Eric
Would the high end of this series be adequate?

http://www.godaddy.com/Hosting/web-hosting.aspx

It looks like $10/mo, for long term contract (unless I'm missing something... -- I've not been in the market for such, and don't really know what I'm looking for...)

tronkel

#24 Post by tronkel »

This is bad news indeed.

I wonder though of one if these powerful Linux ftp mirror servers would be willing to take on serving Puppy files on the basis that it would be a service to Linux.

First one that comes to mind is the University of Kent Mirror service
which holds umpteen TB of Linux stuff from every imaginable Linux distro. Another large one is the TU Vienna. Many others as well. They are really http/ftp file servers only though as far as I know.

Would be a place to hold important files though while a suitable web-page server is being sought after.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Caneri

#25 Post by Caneri »

Hi All and thanks....right now I'm pulling stuff as I can with my 3.5G stick....it will cost me a fortune as I only have 1GB/month data transfer but I'm trying to save as much as I can..

@Rerwin.....the work you have done for 3G modems will save MANY files with this Sierra USB306 high speed stick...BIG THANKS Richard.

@Wolf Pup...I found a few of your iso files and will upload to .asia NOW....please if someone can grab the files I post in the following posts help out here for a backup.

Any files y'all see that are needed to be backed up respond here soon.

@ttuuxxx...I just don't have the capacity for your files...sorry bro but there's nothing I can do.
Chinese Proverb[/color]

dejan555

#26 Post by dejan555 »

Sorry for bad news and many thanks Caneri! I think I have all of files from my folder on my HD so you can erase that immidietly, those are mostly some games anyway, I may upload the big smc sfs to russodle's account and other ones on my server.

It's amazing that it lasted all these years and that it reaches so high load 60 Mb/day :shock: bloody hell, I new we have many users and that there are tons of connections every day but I didn't imagine that it goes that high!
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

Caneri

#27 Post by Caneri »

Sorry if I don't respond personally.

I have removed the password protections....have at it.

Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

cthisbear

#28 Post by cthisbear »

" it will cost me a fortune as I only have 1GB/month "

I can send you some money ... say $100 AU.

PM me with details if you need it.

Chris.

Caneri

#29 Post by Caneri »

Chris,

always on the spot you old streaker...good on ya' Chris!!!

I'm in negotiations with Telus.ca as we speak to get a pass for this month's bandwidth but I've also tried this before so nothing for sure.

Ty,
Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

cthisbear

#30 Post by cthisbear »

"I'm in negotiations with Telus.ca "

Offer still stands if you need it.

Regards.........Chris.

efiguy

Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements

#31 Post by efiguy »

Hi Group,
I have a Compaq Proliant 7000 that I would donate to Puppy's use if someone thought it could be useful, PLUS have the skills to make it operate. It has 2 power supplies and I have some of the SCSI drives, (If found) some archived Compaq software. It is clean, last turned on about 2007, weighs a ton, and is located in Indianapolis , IN.
Surprisingly, HP is still listing it in their web pages -

Some Links,

[url]http://www3.shopping.com/xPO-Compaq-Pro ... 112892-001[/url]

[url]http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quic ... 7_div.html[/url]

[url]http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... g=en&cc=us[/url]

[url]http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... taskId=115[/url]

Regards,
Jay

Caneri

#32 Post by Caneri »

Yes efiguy,

I'm aware of you working with Hugo (Hiawatha) and you will be a good choice to host .ca and asia.

If you think your servers will handle the load I'll donate to your efforts and happily.

@prehistoric,
Wow...well done my friend.

Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

efiguy

Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements

#33 Post by efiguy »

Hi Eric,

Must immediatiately clear up misunderstanding

All I have is some inoperative hardware (Needs software memory and more drives ), it is possible that it would work, but would take more skills maybe or someone that once serviced these things to guide me in bringing it up to operation
Jay

Caneri

#34 Post by Caneri »

Ok..here is a file that needs a home.

http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/bugs/ISO/Puppy ... 1.2.11.iso

This is nearly 700mb....so only those with very high speed should do a backup for .ca

TY.
Eric

PS..I'll try to do the retro version tonight.
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Caneri

#35 Post by Caneri »

Ok then Jay,

Would you agree to do admin work and setup via ssh for loading webmin and other progs?

I'm not that skilled and Prit has moved on so I'm at a loss for the finer points.

Your thoughts?

Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]