Can't get ZTE MF636 USB modem to work

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Dazed&Confused

Can't get ZTE MF636 USB modem to work

#1 Post by Dazed&Confused »

This is a crosspost from House Training/Beginner's Help. The problem is as follows:

I did a full HDD installation of Puppy Linux 4.3.1 and so far, so good. It's an old laptop and it fits it really, really well! The trouble I'm having is with my ZTE MF636 GPRS modem. I followed the instructions I found here using the 3g_pupdial-wireless package I found here and option-patched and usb-storage-ZTE patch found here. The device is /dev/ttyUSB2, the rest don't work.

It went well, I even did the little trick with Hyperterminal it mentioned successfully. But then when I typed pgprs-connect, where it did connect and find the correct DNS, but all the modem did was blink indefinitely. It never actually connected.

Next I tried installing JUST the aforementioned 3g_pupdial-wireless package (on a yet another fresh install). Same thing. It acquires the correct DNS address after the failed first attempt, but then just keeps on blinking. Am I doing something wrong?

aracnachid

#2 Post by aracnachid »

Does the device detect at all? I hav had abit of trouble with zte devices the MF device I have fails to work if I have any of the modem fixes installed in puppy 4.3.1. Instead in a fresh frugal install of puppy (just boot from the live cd) run pupdial and close again. (this is just to create a wvdial.conf file in /etc/)
Open /etc/wvdial.conf and edit the line

Modem = mydev

and change it to:

Modem = ttyUSB2

Now plug in the device the light on the device will flash yellow then blue- either use pmount to mount and then unmount the device or in a console type:

eject /mnt/sr*

The light on the device should flash yellow then blue once again- When it has settled down open pupdial and click the ttyUSB2 button in the top righthand corner. It should find it and set it as the default modem tho it may not be able to apply the init strings required to connect: If it doesn't try these: (add to the initialisation string boxes at the top of the pupdial GUI)

init 1= ATZ
init 2= ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0

add your service providers information and you should be away.... I must stress that even the latest usbmodeswitch (1.13 I think) doesn't switch my device over to a modem properly and this is the only way of the many I tried that actually worked for me.

If this fail to find a modem at ttyUSB2 try 3. You may have to reboot to try a different option as I noticed I had trouble if I tried connecting using the wrong one then fixed it to be the right one it still wouldn't work but if I changed it to the right one straight away after a reboot it worked.

Let me know how you get on, I will keep an eye on this thread, or send me a personal message.