Regarding unmounting PUPSAVE

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
8-bit

Regarding unmounting PUPSAVE

#1 Post by 8-bit »

This problem has been with Puppy for a while.
If I shutdown or reboot with a frugal install, the pupsave file never seems to be unmounted in such a way that if I do an e2fsck of it (unmounted) I am always told it has errors that need correcting.
Is there a way out of this problem?
I am not talking about a problem with the pupsave due to a power outage either.

RetroTechGuy

Re: Regarding unmounting PUPSAVE

#2 Post by RetroTechGuy »

8-bit wrote:This problem has been with Puppy for a while.
If I shutdown or reboot with a frugal install, the pupsave file never seems to be unmounted in such a way that if I do an e2fsck of it (unmounted) I am always told it has errors that need correcting.
Is there a way out of this problem?
I am not talking about a problem with the pupsave due to a power outage either.
I've had the same problem.

But I'm glad you brought this up, so I can suggest a wishlist for the new Rev.

My frugal install bandaid is to simply run with "pfix=fsck" every single time I load the pupsave... (I don't mind doing this, but if I wanted to travel with a CD and a flash drive pupsave, I need to do it manually... IIRC, I saw the same thing when booting a flash drive)

I believe that when booting from CD, the default should be to automagically perform "pfix=fsck" (likewise when doing a frugal or full install, this default should also be set -- make advanced users turn off the option if they don't want it).

Let's keep in mind that much of the Puppy audience isn't really the high-end, power users. Indeed, it is a (nearly) ideal starting point for Linux newbies and converts. So let's make it extremely easy for these inexperienced users to keep their filesystem in good shape -- don't give them a bad experience (and/or look worse than Microsoft... ;) ).

What I have found, is if the user doesn't do a periodic fsck on the pupsave, it corrupts itself to basically an unrecoverable state -- that is, it's easier to make a new pupsave, and copy files across from the old one, then it is to repair the damaged pupsave.

Of course, the unclean dismount problem needs to be addressed at some point as well (I found it in versions 4.11, 4.12, 4.21 and 4.31 -- so it's been around a while; I didn't try older versions, so it may exist back further yet).