SeaMonkey upgrade problem

Please post any bugs you have found
DMcCunney

#16 Post by DMcCunney »

8-bit wrote:If you do an ldd on Puppy Browser, you will see that it relies heavily on support from SeaMonkey to run.
I did so. The only thing I see here obviously part of SeaMonkey is the libgtkembedmoz.so library. The rest all live in /lib or /usr/lib, and look to be standard libraries used by a variety of things.
As SeaMonkey updates itself, that support disappears.
Which is why I think dependency on a specific SeaMonkey version is a bad idea.
I really think that the Puppy Browser needs a rewrite so as not to depend on a specific version of SeaMonkey to run.
I agree.
It was made originally as a lite browser to display help files.
If it was kept that way, all would be good.
But features keep getting added to make it more.
"Feeping creaturism". Yep. Old story in the computer world, but we never seem to learn.
______
Dennis

8-bit

#17 Post by 8-bit »

I actually got PuppyBrowser working again along with the upgrade of SeaMonkey 2.02.
What I did was to copy the complete seamonkey-1.1.18 directory to /usr/lib first.
Then I edited /usr/local/PuppyBrowser/puppy-browser by replacing all the references to seamonkey with seamonkey-1.1.18.

After that, I also edited /usr/local/bin/gtkmoz and replaced all references to PuppyBrowser with puppy-browser.

So now, PuppyBrowser works along with the SeaMonkey upgrade.

Maybe that is long and drawn out and not done quite right, but it works.

DMcCunney

#18 Post by DMcCunney »

8-bit wrote:I actually got PuppyBrowser working again along with the upgrade of SeaMonkey 2.02.
Cool.
What I did was to copy the complete seamonkey-1.1.18 directory to /usr/lib first.
Then I edited /usr/local/PuppyBrowser/puppy-browser by replacing all the references to seamonkey with seamonkey-1.1.18.

After that, I also edited /usr/local/bin/gtkmoz and replaced all references to PuppyBrowser with puppy-browser.

Maybe that is long and drawn out and not done quite right, but it works.
That it works is the important part. It might be possible to refine it a bit - I doubt PuppyBrowser needs everything in the SeaMonkey 1.18 directory - but it may not be worth the trouble to narrow it down.

I'll see about reproducing that here. Thanks!
______
Dennis

DaveS

#19 Post by DaveS »

Have been looking more closely at PuppyBrowser. It has a heck of a lot of deps. Building a standalone exceeds 20MB! This is what it needs so far, all from SM 1.1.18, and so far, Password Manager is not working. The next step is to figure what is compatible from SM2.
Attachments
puppybrowser.png
(40.3 KiB) Downloaded 1351 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DMcCunney

#20 Post by DMcCunney »

DaveS wrote:Have been looking more closely at PuppyBrowser. It has a heck of a lot of deps. Building a standalone exceeds 20MB! This is what it needs so far, all from SM 1.1.18, and so far, Password Manager is not working. The next step is to figure what is compatible from SM2.
Have fun.

I'm all in favor of re-using code, but I have to disagree with Puppy Browser's approach. It appears to assume the user will never try to upgrade or replace SeaMonkey, which is a highly questionable assumption.
______
Dennis

DaveS

#21 Post by DaveS »

DMcCunney wrote:It appears to assume the user will never try to upgrade or replace SeaMonkey, which is a highly questionable assumption.
______
Dennis
I got the thing to run on a system without SM 1* installed. I copied all of the above to /usr/local/PuppyBrowser, then edited the script puppy-browser in that directory to read as follows:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

export PATH=/usr/local/PuppyBrowser:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/PuppyBrowser:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/local/PuppyBrowser

if [ -f /usr/local/PuppyBrowser/libgtkembedmoz.so ];then
	export PATH=/usr/local/PuppyBrowser:$PATH
	export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/PuppyBrowser:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
	export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/local/PuppyBrowser
fi

#if [ -f /usr/local/seamonkey/libgtkembedmoz.so ];then
#	export PATH=/usr/local/seamonkey:$PATH
#	export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/seamonkey:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
#	export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/local/seamonkey
#fi

mkdir $HOME/.PuppyBrowser 2>/dev/null
mkdir $HOME/.PuppyBrowser/profiles 2>/dev/null
mkdir $HOME/.PuppyBrowser/profiles/default 2>/dev/null

if [ ! -f $HOME/.PuppyBrowser/profiles/default/tabs.rc ];then
	cp $HOME/.PuppyBrowser/tabs.rc $HOME/.PuppyBrowser/profiles/default/tabs.rc 2>/dev/null
fi
if [ ! -f $HOME/.PuppyBrowser/profiles/default/bookmarks.rc ];then
	cp $HOME/.PuppyBrowser/bookmarks.rc $HOME/.PuppyBrowser/profiles/default/bookmarks.rc 2>/dev/null
fi

cd /usr/local/PuppyBrowser

./PuppyBrowser "$@" &
Not displaying scrollbars quite right just now. Flash even works :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Dewbie

#22 Post by Dewbie »

I actually got PuppyBrowser working again along with the upgrade of SeaMonkey 2.02.

I have the same problem after a SeaMonkey 2.0 install, and followed these directions to the letter--twice--but still can't get Puppy Browser to launch.

Is there any other fix or workaround that anyone knows of?
(Or...was there a step unintentionally left out of these instructions?)

Thanks!

8-bit

#23 Post by 8-bit »

It seems to me that when Puppy 5 was made, I saw a pet of a cut down puppy browser in the section for lupu Here

It is actually the minimum seamonkey 1.1.8 files needed for Puppy Browser to work.
At least, that was my understanding.

Dewbie

#24 Post by Dewbie »

Thanks...installed that LuPu package, plus tried DaveS' edits as well.
Still no luck, though...can't get that sucker to launch!

I normally wouldn't even bother with PuppyBrowser, but am only a month-and-a-half into using Puppy, and could sure use its help features.

DaveS

#25 Post by DaveS »

Dewbie wrote:Thanks...installed that LuPu package, plus tried DaveS' edits as well.
Still no luck, though...can't get that sucker to launch!

I normally wouldn't even bother with PuppyBrowser, but am only a month-and-a-half into using Puppy, and could sure use its help features.
Dewbie, if you are talking about accessing the Puppy help documention, I THINK you can do this with ANY browser. I THINK all you need to do is edit the file which tells Puppy which browser to use to view html files. This is located in /usr/local/bin and is called defaulthtmlviewer. Right click on it, select 'open as text' and set it to start whichever browser you want. Then go to /user/share/doc, and click on index.html. This should get you into the help documentation using whichever browser you specified.
Another way is to open your browser, and from the 'file' menu, navigate to /usr/share/doc, and open index.html.
Yet another way is to open your browser and just drag and drop /usr/share/doc/index.html into it.
Installing a printer however might not be so simple without Puppy browser :(
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Dewbie

#26 Post by Dewbie »

This might be hardware-related.

The extra steps taken to get PuppyBrowser to work with SeaMonkey 2.0 in some computers simply might not work with certain other computers, such as mine.

According to forum member looseSCREWorTWO, while working on a computer with Puppy Linux 4.3.1, he simply upgraded from SeaMonkey 1.1.18 to 2.0.1, and experienced none of these problems. (PuppyBrowser remained functional.)

miriam

#27 Post by miriam »

I've been adding quite a lot of packages, but haven't upgraded Seamonkey from v1.1.8 in my Puppy431 and puppybrowser (gtkmoz) has stopped working. In my case it may have happened after I installed Firefox. :(

How weird is that?

I'm going to try copying the libraries gtkmoz requires to its folder and edit the starting script as DaveS suggested. If that doesn't fix it I'll just drop gtkmoz and use links instead.
[color=blue]A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?[/color]

Dewbie

#28 Post by Dewbie »

BarryK addressed the SeaMonkey/PuppyBrowser situation here, in the comments section.

@miriam: I test-installed the Firefox 3.6 .pet from here and still had a functional PuppyBrowser.
The SeaMonkey upgrade breaks it, though...at least on this box.

Installing Opera from ttuuxxxx's downloads is an easy workaround.
Both will install in 4.3.1 as is.
Version 11.01 takes over as default browser; 11.51 does not.
Either way, you can just go into /usr/share/applications and drag the browser icons onto your desktop for shortcuts.
Last edited by Dewbie on Sat 10 Dec 2011, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.

Dewbie

#29 Post by Dewbie »

OK, I came up with a workaround here that allows you to install a newer SeaMonkey while keeping PuppyBrowser intact.

The catch is, you have to retain the old SeaMonkey for everything to remain functional.