Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 08 Dec 2019, 05:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
SeaMonkey upgrade problem
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Author Message
8-bit


Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 3425
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb 2010, 16:58    Post subject:  SeaMonkey upgrade problem
Subject description: Breaks Puppy browser?
 

On Puppy 431, I recently upgraded to SeaMonkey 2.0 which in turn upgraded itself to SeaMonkey 2.02.
Now if I try to access a man file using the internet by typing 'man [program name] at a terminal prompt, I get an error of libgtkembedmoz.so not found.
And my Seamonkey-1.1.18 library directory has dissapeared.
I did not manually delete it.
Also, I tried copying the complete SeaMonkey-1.1.18 library from Puppy 431 and that did not help as I would get an internal error from moz.
So now what?

My temporary fix is to edit /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer to use /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey instead of gtkmoz.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
8-bit


Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 3425
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Fri 05 Feb 2010, 15:45    Post subject:  

It may turn out that all my problems are associated with a corrupt pupsave file. Since the previouis post, I have had other supporting files just disappear. I also ran xfprotect and AVAST on the PC and nothing was found as to viruses.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
starlyte


Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 40
Location: near Carcassonne, S. France

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb 2010, 13:59    Post subject: i had the same  

I went to an old pup_save which had SM-1.1.5 in and the required libray was there . I copied it to /usr/lib and now no missing libs for gtkmoz etc.
Good luck!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
8-bit


Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 3425
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb 2010, 15:46    Post subject:  

I had tried that and then I got an error of an internal function of the library file. I ended up restoring from a previously backed up pupsave file and that took care of that problem.
But another problem was also found with another utility.
I am living with that for now until I bite the bullet and reinstall Puppy.
Also, I was running a beta version of Puppy 431 SCSI.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
8-bit


Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 3425
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Wed 10 Feb 2010, 16:01    Post subject:  

I have my pupsave file backed up using the nice backup program for frugal installs.
I went to try to update SeaMonkey to version 2.02 by installing SeaMonkey-Beta2.pet.
I removed my install of SeaMonkey 2.0 before doing so and even though SeaMonkey 2.1 beta updated itself to SeaMonkey 2.02, it broke PuppyBrowser.
SeaMonkey-2.0-I486.pet would not update itself.
SeaMonkey-Beta2.pet would, but broke PuppyBrowser.
SeaMonkey-2.01.pet looked like an install from internet type of pet.

I could try downloading the SeaMonkey 2.02 tar.gz from the site and see if that worked.

But here is a question for you.
Does anyone that has SeaMonkey 2.02 running able to have the HELP icon work and not Break PuppyBrowser?

Or...... Can you suggest what SeaMonkey pet I should try to install that will not break PuppyBrowser?
I still have my pupsave backup to fall back on if things get screwed up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
dawnsboy


Joined: 03 Dec 2008
Posts: 248
Location: Indiana - Republic of New Canada

PostPosted: Wed 10 Feb 2010, 16:22    Post subject:  

Support for the Puppy Browser (gtkmoz on previous versions of Puppy) is provided by the Seamonkey 1.X series of Mozilla browsers. The Seamonkey 2.X versions of Mozilla browsers do not support Puppy Browser.

You can change the executable that the desktop help file points to by opening /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer with a text editor. Change the command to "seamonkey" or enter the full path to the seamonkey executable if needed. IE "/usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey" without the quotes. This will invoke the Seamonkey web browser instead of the now broken Puppy Browser.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
8-bit


Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 3425
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Wed 10 Feb 2010, 16:38    Post subject:  

In that case, it sounds like a rewrite of PuppyBrowser is in order.
I will investigate this.
By the way, I had already tried your method and it does work.
The thing is that PuppyBrowser looks to be just a profile to be used by SeaMonkey although I am unsure of this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
DMcCunney

Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 894

PostPosted: Wed 10 Feb 2010, 18:01    Post subject:  

8-bit wrote:
In that case, it sounds like a rewrite of PuppyBrowser is in order.
I will investigate this.
By the way, I had already tried your method and it does work.
The thing is that PuppyBrowser looks to be just a profile to be used by SeaMonkey although I am unsure of this.

It isn't. PuppyBrowser is an ELF binary, living in /usr/local/PuppyBrowser. It uses and depends upon libgtkembedmoz.so, and looks for that library in /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.8.0.4 or in /usr/lib/seamonkey.
______
Dennis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
8-bit


Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 3425
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Wed 10 Feb 2010, 22:03    Post subject:  

Since that library file does not exist after an upgrade of SeaMonkey, I modified gtkmoz to use SeaMonkey as a work around.
I do not even know if both can co-exist in running condition.
That is Puppy-Browser and SeaMonkey 2.02.
If you have another method, let me know.
My head is just not working today!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
DMcCunney

Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 894

PostPosted: Wed 10 Feb 2010, 23:09    Post subject:  

8-bit wrote:
Since that library file does not exist after an upgrade of SeaMonkey, I modified gtkmoz to use SeaMonkey as a work around.
I do not even know if both can co-exist in running condition.
That is Puppy-Browser and SeaMonkey 2.02.
If you have another method, let me know.
My head is just not working today!

I'm not quite sure what happened when you upgraded.

I have multiple SeaMonkey versions installed at the moment, because I'm testing the effects of static builds on load time and performance. So I have SeaMonkey 1.18 in static and non-static builds, and SeaMonkey 2.02 likewise. It's actually fairly simple to have them all installed at the same time, as long as you aren't trying to run them through things like Puppy's defaultbrowser mechanism.

PuppyBrowser can exist alongside SeaMonkey 2.02, as long as it has the libgtkembedmoz.so file in a place it can find it. What I don't understand is why the upgrade removed it. I don't recall it doing that here.
______
Dennis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
8-bit


Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 3425
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Thu 11 Feb 2010, 01:47    Post subject:  

I tried copying gtkembedmoz.so to the /usr/lib/seamonkey directory that was created by an install of SeaMonkey-2.01.pet.
When I tried to fire up Puppy-Browser from a terminal, it stated that gtkembedmoz.so could not find some internal thing. Or should that be infernal?
And I got that file from a Puppy version with the same kernel.
The Pet file overwrote all of the original Seamonkey files including the desktop file.
So that may have been the cause.
I restored using a backed up pupsave file.
My main problem is that I tried a number of SeaMonkey pet files and all the installing and uninstalling probably is what caused the problem to begin with.
If I knew how to make Puppy-Browser a stand alone application that did not rely on getting support files from SeaMonkey, I would.
But just copying the gtkembedmoz.ko file to the /usr/lib/seamonkey directory does not work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
DMcCunney

Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 894

PostPosted: Thu 11 Feb 2010, 11:11    Post subject:  

Quote:
8-bit wrote:
I tried copying gtkembedmoz.so to the /usr/lib/seamonkey directory that was created by an install of SeaMonkey-2.01.pet.
When I tried to fire up Puppy-Browser from a terminal, it stated that gtkembedmoz.so could not find some internal thing. Or should that be infernal?

And I got that file from a Puppy version with the same kernel.
The Pet file overwrote all of the original Seamonkey files including the desktop file.
So that may have been the cause.

Sounds like it was.

I've been doing a little fiddling here. Among other things, PuppyBrowser is sensitive to exactly which version of the libgtkembedmoz.so file it sees. I have several different versions from different releases of Seamonkey and XULRunner. One caused PuppyBrowser to fail because it couldn't find a particular symbol defined in the library. Another had the symbol defined, so PuppyBrowser jumped that hurdle, but died with a segmentation fault shortly after.

I don't fully understand the relationship between SeaMonkey and PuppyBrowser either, but it seems to be fairly intimate and version specific. And if so, it's a pain, because it appears to implicitly assume that no one will ever upgrade SeaMonkey delivered with Puppy. That's a very bad assumption.

I didn't see the breakage because I didn't upgrade SeaMonkey from a PET. I grabbed the Linux build from Mozilla as a tar.bz2 file, extracted it and placed it where I wanted it to live, and adjusted from there. (The adjustment consisted of symlinking the SeaMonley shell script into /usr/bin.)

Quote:
I restored using a backed up pupsave file.
My main problem is that I tried a number of SeaMonkey pet files and all the installing and uninstalling probably is what caused the problem to begin with.

Quite likely.

Quote:
If I knew how to make Puppy-Browser a stand alone application that did not rely on getting support files from SeaMonkey, I would.
But just copying the gtkembedmoz.ko file to the /usr/lib/seamonkey directory does not work.

It depends on just which library version, as far as I can see.

To test a bit, open a terminal window, cd to /usr/local/PuppyBrowser, and run things from the command line. puppy-browser is the wrapper script. PuppyBrowser is the ELF binary puppy-browser runs.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney on Thu 11 Feb 2010, 15:20; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
8-bit


Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 3425
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Thu 11 Feb 2010, 14:59    Post subject:  

I booted from the original CD I used to install Puppy frugal install and copied the complete Puppybrowser directory to /mnt/home and from there to it's given destination after reboot.
I also did the same for gtkembedmoz.so.
The darn above file came from exactly the same version of Puppy and puppybrowser finds it, but still gives an internal error from gtkembedmoz.so.
Other than ponder and peer at the vala code and try to recompile it (which I already tried) (code and compiler script in Puppybrowser directory), I took the lame way out and am just using my newest installed version of Seamonkey for viewing the help files.
It took a modification of the gtkmoz script file and also a mod of the default_help_viewer file.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
DMcCunney

Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 894

PostPosted: Thu 11 Feb 2010, 15:18    Post subject:  

8-bit wrote:
I booted from the original CD I used to install Puppy frugal install and copied the complete Puppybrowser directory to /mnt/home and from there to it's given destination after reboot.
I also did the same for gtkembedmoz.so.
The darn above file came from exactly the same version of Puppy and puppybrowser finds it, but still gives an internal error from gtkembedmoz.so.

It may not be looking at the one you think it is. Look at the puppy-browser shell script to see what it looks for and where, and make sure there isn't another copy of libgtkembedmoz.so that it might be looking at instead.
Quote:

Other than ponder and peer at the vala code and try to recompile it (which I already tried) (code and compiler script in Puppybrowser directory), I took the lame way out and am just using my newest installed version of Seamonkey for viewing the help files.
It took a modification of the gtkmoz script file and also a mod of the default_help_viewer file.

I seldom use that function, so I haven't been bothered by the issue. I'll poke around here a bit more out of curiousity. A help viewer with less overhead than full Seamonkey would be nice.
______
Dennis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
8-bit


Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 3425
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Thu 11 Feb 2010, 17:28    Post subject:  

If you do an ldd on Puppy Browser, you will see that it relies heavily on support from SeaMonkey to run.
As SeaMonkey updates itself, that support disappears.
I really think that the Puppy Browser needs a rewrite so as not to depend on a specific version of SeaMonkey to run.
It was made originally as a lite browser to display help files.
If it was kept that way, all would be good.
But features keep getting added to make it more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0669s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0184s) ][ GZIP on ]