Best program for managing photos in Puppy?

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
Sylvander

#31 Post by Sylvander »

Alternative methods:
[With both of which I use a terminal run whilst in a folder/window in Xfe]
1. If you don't already have verifypet installed:
A program included in a pet file, to verify that the calculated md5sum of a pet file matches the md5 value included within the file.

OR...
2. To check the md5sum for each pet file is OK.
Use the method shown in item 2 here.

p.s. If you type the 1st few characters of a command in a terminal, then hit tab twice...
The full names of all commands beginning with those characters will be displayed.
Then you can complete the name of the one listed that you want.
Ideally you would type enough characters for there to be returned only the single command/program of interest.
[Because there is only 1 command/prog that begins with that sequence of characters]

If you type NOTHING at all, and hit tab twice, you will be asked if you want to display ALL commands.
Type Y and hit enter, and the beginning af a great list will be displayed.
Just hold down <Enter>, and watch the list grow in length.
Release the <Enter> key when the end of the list is reached.

DMcCunney

#32 Post by DMcCunney »

tazzels wrote:Hii Dennis, I see the need for extra ram and thanks for the helpful explanation about how it works, in the meantime I have installed a new PUPPY3 as a full installation onto sda2 (ext2) partition as you recommended.
Let us know how it works. Personally, I redid my Puppy installation for 4.31 and went ext4. I see better performance through better disk I/O.

I assume you created a swap partition? I'd make one twice the size of RAM.
Rxvt is the default terminal emulator on Puppy, and what you get if you open a terminal window. You'll get a bash shell with a # prompt. It's equivalent to doing Start/Run/CMD under XP and opening a window to a C:\ prompt.
This was an interesting thing to try and to know about but there were no error messages on opening any of the programs.
There won't always be. But I've seen interesting messages running things from the command line, like indications of missing libraries.

It can be a handy tool in your kit.
______
Dennis

tazzels

#33 Post by tazzels »

Hi and thanks for the info on verify. I have had a busy time setting up my photo collection. Xnview is so quick to open thumbnails and enables sorting and batch renaming. I have learnt to be careful with that one as I batch renamed 50 photos the same name by accident and lost 49! Still had them on my camera luckily. I have also been playing with the xnview art package and changing one of my photos into a version that I want to paint. See attached pic.

My internet is not quite so fast with the full install but it it ten times as fast as with Windows so I'm not complaining.

Hi Dennis
I assume you created a swap partition? I'd make one twice the size of RAM.
Partition 1 NTFS windows is 10gb,
partition 2 ext2 for puppy is 2gb,
partition 3 is my linux swap and that is 17gb and
partition 4 fat32 is 10gb (thats where I'm storing my photos.

How does that sound?

mawebb88

Xnview does not work in Stardust 013

#34 Post by mawebb88 »

@CatDude

Just tried your XnView-1.70-version4.00.pet in Stardust 013 but cold not get it to work. Comes up with

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=26125

but under "Options" there is only "General" and clicking on this crashes it. From a terminal I get the attached output:

Any ideas how to correct this?

Rgds Mike

CatDude wrote:Hi

@ tazzels
Click on Option (as shown in image default.png below)
then select Browser from the list on the left (as shown in image browser.png below),
and click the check box next to Launch Browser at Startup
You can also choose the Startup Directory, i usually have it set to Last Used.

After making these changes, close then reopen XnView.

It should now look something like that in the image browser2.png below,
you can change the layout via View > Layout
You can also change the size of the thumbnails via View > Thumbnail size

Have a good look around in the menu's to see just what this app can do,
you will probably be quite surprised, especially if you look in Tools > Convert > Advanced Operations
In that, you need to select whatever it is you want to do, then click the --> to move it to the righthand window,
then you will get whatever options appear.

Hope this helps
CatDude
Attachments
xnview problem.png
(6.13 KiB) Downloaded 1102 times

its-me-again

xnview

#35 Post by its-me-again »

hi this works great in puppy 431 and Bruno woo hoo. awesome this is the picasa like, app i was needing. easy simple and straight forward. for anyone. to use. Gimp is to confusing to learn for a lot of people.

RetroTechGuy

Re: xnview

#36 Post by RetroTechGuy »

its-me-again wrote:hi this works great in puppy 431 and Bruno woo hoo. awesome this is the picasa like, app i was needing. easy simple and straight forward. for anyone. to use. Gimp is to confusing to learn for a lot of people.
However, GIMP is really powerful (if you need powerful).

Some time back I found "GimpShop" (for Win98) -- that worked quite well, also -- an open source, GIMP-ized "Photoshop" sorta-clone.

Mayou

xnconvert is fine.

#37 Post by Mayou »

XnConvert is Copyright © 1991-2013 by Pierre-e Gougelet, French included as default by Sir Gougelet
Attachments
french.jpg
tahrpup 5.8.3
(58.19 KiB) Downloaded 299 times

RetroTechGuy

#38 Post by RetroTechGuy »

I've been using the tool as XnView51.sfs

I'm not sure where it's gone (was on dropbox, but seems to have expired or been deleted).

Works great (though the behavior is slightly different than the Windows version)
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Mayou

Gui's are often old look.

#39 Post by Mayou »

Gui's are often old look. Any developer for getting them pretty ?
Last edited by Mayou on Sun 09 Aug 2015, 06:16, edited 1 time in total.

Burn_IT

#40 Post by Burn_IT »

Linux is open source!!
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

amigo

#41 Post by amigo »

But Xnview is not, if you read the license. Anyway, it's using the real Xlibs so it's gonna look funky compared to gtk & co.

Burn_IT

#42 Post by Burn_IT »

I was talking about GUIs not Xnview.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Pelo

la revue photo en français

#43 Post by Pelo »

See topics 2016 by Mikewalsh , he provides his best tools using wine (2016)
I f you speak only french see ici la revue photo en français

What photo management software is available? click the blue.

peppyy

#44 Post by peppyy »

I am running xnview mp on tahr 6.0.5 and tahr64 6.0.5 The 64 bit linux version worked very well.

Downloaded,extracted to My Applications and click on xnview.sh

I created a shortcut for the desktop and set it as my default image viewer.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

mikeslr

Recent Ubuntu-based Puppies: Shotwell can be built

#45 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

A couple of days ago I built a pet of Shotwell which rans under Xenialpup 64-bit. [Seems functional, but not completely tested]. Sorry I can't upload it even though it weighs in at only 14 Mbs. This is more a testament to 666philb's ability as a Puppy Woofer, and those working on Woof than my ability as a application builder.

Untested, but the following should also work in Tahrpup (both 32 & 64 bit) and Xenialpup (32-bit), and peebee's lx derivatives. I'm uncertain regarding rg66's Xfce derivatives: perhaps in order to build an Xfce-Thunar Puppy some of the structures underlying Jwm-Rox are removed?

As I recall, it wasn't a great hassle; although the fact that it is a pet suggests that some debs had to be hunted down, symlinks created or files copied. Essentially the building technique was:

1. Set Puppy Package Manager to (a) download to tmpfs, (b) including files already present, and (c) not remove downloaded files. And set download location to an otherwise empty folder named "shotwell" -- with whatever other description is considered appropriate, e.g. -xen64-0.22 --the latter being shotwell's version number.
2. Set PPM to download all including dependencies to that folder. Download.
3. Boot into 32-bit Puppy: PaDS doesn't work in 64-bit Puppies.
4. If necessary, install PaDS:http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81511
5. Open your file-manager, scroll so you can see the shotwell folder holding the debs, right-click it and select "Combine to SFS".
6. Move the resulting SFS from /root to /mnt/home.
7. Reboot into 64-bit Puppy -- if necessary.
8. SFS-load the shotwell.sfs -- but don't run it. Rather, open a terminal to /usr/bin --where its binary, named shotwell, is located.
9. Type in terminal (without the quotes): "ldd shotwell".
10. Copy terminal output to file named "shotwell-missing.txt".
11. Check via pfind whether "not found" only means a newer version of a lib is present (which will require a symlink to it with the name the app was looking for; or, in 64-bit pups, the lib is located in a directory which puppy didn't search, again requiring either a symlink or copying the file to /usr/lib). Also do a visual check of all lib folders. Puppy may not be "digging deep enough". See step 13b regarding how to modify an SFS.
12. Search for missing files here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/
13a. Download debs to shotwell folder and repeat above steps to create an SFS; or
13b. Mount the SFS, select View, and copy all contents to s folder named, for example, shotwell-xen64-0.22a. Then unpack the downloaded debs and copy ONLY necessary libs to appropriate locations. Open a terminal above this shotwell directory and type --without the quotes-- either dir2pet NAME of folder to create a pet or dir2sfs NAME of folder to create an SFS.

Test. Repeat if libs are still missing.

In 64-bit Puppies 13b has the advantage over 13a in that you don't have to boot into a different Puppy. Always use 13b to create a pet if your application runs under python. The python structure in an SFS will always have lower priority than the python structure built into Puppies or included in your SaveFile/Folder -- the one in the SFS will not be used.

The above may seem complicated, but as I recall it only took about half an hour to create the pet.

mikesLr

mikeslr

Both XP's XnView and photoscape run well under Wine

#46 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Not being a purist, I'm not opposed to running Wine or Wine-portable and using XP applications. Both XP versions of XnView and photoscape run well under wine(portable). Between the two you can do almost anything you want with photos; with two exceptions -- upload those photos to your online web galleries, or download them from those galleries.

In theory, at least, shotwell can "Share to major Web services, including Facebook, Flickr, and YouTube", and with some effort, google-photos. See, http://askubuntu.com/questions/676721/h ... ogle-photo, starting about half-way down the webpage.

The reason I haven't fully tested shotwell is that my wife is the photographer of the family (if I ignore my son, David, who is a professional videographer), So a couple years ago it occurred to me that the only photos I need to take are those of my wife and landscapes -- she's not into them. And I have no reason to upload any of those. Shotwell was built on the slim change and perhaps inducement to wean her off Windows.

mikesLr

smokey01

#47 Post by smokey01 »

Geeqie not bad either.