Best program for managing photos in Puppy?

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
tazzels

Best program for managing photos in Puppy?

#1 Post by tazzels »

Hi, I have installed 431 puppy and created partitions on my old 128mb machine. I have a usb drive with hundreds of photos that I need to arrange and sort into slideshows for watching on my PC. In windows I could see small thumbnails and I had a few digital camera progs that I could use. What do I use with Puppy please? I like Viewnior and my slideshows work well on that and if I could see my photos as thumbs in the directories that would really solve the problem. I have tried right clicking on the icon in the program but only a few change. All my edited files show as thumbs.. i.e. If I have changed them in paint shop pro in Windows.

Jim1911

#2 Post by Jim1911 »

I'm not in puppy at the moment, I believe to set it just right click in an open Rox window. Select options, thumbnails, then on.

dejan555

#3 Post by dejan555 »

If you click or right click some of icons in rox filer toolbar (I think may be right click on "eye" icon") it switches to thumbnails view. Also see rox options (right click in rox window -> ROX-Filer -> Options) for setting view and thumbnails size etc... ROX has many features once you explore them. ;)
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

tazzels

#4 Post by tazzels »

I did try right clicking in Rox but it only works on images I have edited, not the ones from my camera.

bee_pipes

#5 Post by bee_pipes »

I used a program called XnView. It was excellent for dealing with pictures - maybe not because it is the best program, but one I am used to. They have a beta version for linux that I haven't had a chance to look at extensively or hammer on, but if it gets as good as the windows version I will be happy. I tried putting the windows version on with WINE and was not real happy with the results. It worked, and because I was familiar with the operation of the program I could get around, but it was not as slick and smooth as the program operates in a windows environment.

Regards,
Pat

CatDude

#6 Post by CatDude »

Hi

Try this XnView
No need for Wine (unless you are thirsty that is :wink: )

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Tazzels, can you tell us more about your hardware? I have the same problem, that right-clicking doesn't usually show all images in a directory as thumbnails. Sometimes none of them show.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

dejan555

#8 Post by dejan555 »

GQView, Gpicview, XnView, Gwenview (this one needs kde dependencies but it's pretty good) and probably more.
For editing -> GIMP
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

tazzels

#9 Post by tazzels »

Hi Guys, Thanks for suggestions. I am such a newbie that I have a lot to learn. I have tried fotoxx, printoxx today and managed to print on my HP710C but still no success with the problem I'm asking about (viewing thumbs in Rox) so glad to try something else. My 15gb of photos are on my external HDD. It may be best to copy them to my PC HD in order to work with them but I haven't decided yet.

DEEJAN I will have a go with xnview first then try some of the others. Thanks for ideas.

CatDUDE and BEE-PIPES I have just downloaded xnview and will have a try at using that so thanks to Catdude and Bee_pipes.

FLASH - Your hardware is quite different but I have looked at the spec for you..
Hardware is as follows
OS Puppy 431 run from partition on HD
-Computer-
Processor : AMD Duron(tm) Processor
Memory : 124MB (74MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.43
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
-Input Devices-
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse
PC Speaker
-Printers (CUPS)-
710C : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA ExcelStor Techno
DVDRW IDE 16X
ARTEC WRA-KA40
disgo
WD 3200BEV External

I am not around for a few days after tonight (in UK) but will be back Tuesday and let you know how I get on.. Off to the seaside!!!! To take more photos (I paint)
Best wishes Tazzels

tazzels

#10 Post by tazzels »

Xnview v1.7 installed. It appears in menu. If selected the window only has 3 options file, option, info. If I select file>open a larger window opens and I have to type in the correct file path to get to the photos which takes some figuring for a newbie. These then show as a list with no thumbs at all :( Is this correct as the window does not look like the image on the site where I downloaded it from?

Once I open an image I have an attractive window open with tools across the top and the opened image below. I am able to select files for a slideshow. However I still cannot see thumbs, either in this program or in my directory (now moved to my PC harddrive) which is the main problem I am trying to solve as I have thousands of photos. Right clicking directories in ROX justs shows files I have edited. Maybe I could batch edit all my files and resave but trying to avoid this. :?:

Sylvander

#11 Post by Sylvander »

1. I wonder if "X File Explorer" [Xfe] would be of use to you for this task?

2. Among it's other great features, it is really easy to display thumbnails.
Just highlight/open the folder holding the photo files and click the "Panel->Thumbnails" tick-box.

3. If you wanted to group a set of chosen photos, based on viewing after seeing their thumbnail...
You could quickly configure the dual-panes view, by clicking that icon at top-right.
Then you could highlight a set of files, and either "Move to..." or "Copy to...".
You will then be offered the other pane by default.
Just OK that and the photo will either move or be copied to the other pane [you choose the folder location of that pane using the folder hierarchy pane at the left].
Attachments
00.jpg
(51.62 KiB) Downloaded 3554 times

dejan555

#12 Post by dejan555 »

tazzels, XnViewMP has nice browser with thumbnails, did you get this one?
http://download.xnview.com/XnViewMP-linux.tgz

CatDude

#13 Post by CatDude »

Hi

@ tazzels
Click on Option (as shown in image default.png below)
then select Browser from the list on the left (as shown in image browser.png below),
and click the check box next to Launch Browser at Startup
You can also choose the Startup Directory, i usually have it set to Last Used.

After making these changes, close then reopen XnView.

It should now look something like that in the image browser2.png below,
you can change the layout via View > Layout
You can also change the size of the thumbnails via View > Thumbnail size

Have a good look around in the menu's to see just what this app can do,
you will probably be quite surprised, especially if you look in Tools > Convert > Advanced Operations
In that, you need to select whatever it is you want to do, then click the --> to move it to the righthand window,
then you will get whatever options appear.

Hope this helps
CatDude
Attachments
default.png
(6.54 KiB) Downloaded 3725 times
browser.png
(55.39 KiB) Downloaded 3500 times
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

tazzels

#14 Post by tazzels »

Hi Sylvander Thanks for the link. I dowloaded x File Explorer and rebooted. Its now in the menu but nothing happens when I click on it. ? Not sure what to do about that. :?: I am a newbie. It looks really good so I will perservere another day.

Hi Dejan 555 This XnView looks good. It was a different sort of download. I don't know whether I have done this right but it appeared in Archive and I extracted it to temp file. Found an icon to click on that has opened a lovely window with a file system that I can navigate. I have a folder that I have put in mnt/sdb1 that contains photos but the folder appears empty? Is is set to view thumbnails. I am going to reboot just in case it helps.

I am also going to get myself a beer and pack for my seaside trip 8) tomorrow so bye for now and thanks for help. Back on Tuesday. I am determined to get it all working!

Sylvander

#15 Post by Sylvander »

1. " Its now in the menu but nothing happens when I click on it."
Did you also install the essential Fox-library 1.6.31?

2. "Not sure what to do about that"
If you DID install the Fox-library, and it still won't run...
Enter the command xfe in a terminal and see what response/warning is given.
There may be missing dependencies or other problems.
I only ever once had a problem [of a missing dependency] with an installed xfe, and it was easily fixed.

`f00

#16 Post by `f00 »

Rox and xfe are both great for if you want to mainly use a file manager for simple handling - thumbnail viewing and general file operations in xfe is my preference (usually xfe with the dual panes is more stable and foolproof for me than drag'n'drop with varying rox windows). Rox usually carries a kind of penalty for viewing since in most pups it doesn't automatically 'flush' the thumbnail cache .. view lots of thumbnails and your cache may get quite a bit larger if you don't flush or 'purge' the thumbnail cache (rclick in an empty area of the roxwindow interior->options->thumbnails .. about the middle of that page). If you have loads of storage and RAM, keeping that cache may make sense (or not, depending on how much you need to access it .. think junk in the trunk, it all adds up over time). Think also maybe about a swap file if your RAM seems challenged by your working load (check xload number down in the right part of the taskbar for a rough idea of what's free as you're chugging along doing all that needs done and that just one or two or no, I am so not tired get'er done state of mind).

Either FastStone or IrfanView work well for me in wine (once they load up out of the besottedness of winery, that is). IrfanView is maybe a bit more direct/quicker once you suss the kybd shortcuts and setup (yep, iview32 definitely has a dedicated thumbnail viewing section and pretty sure maybe faststone will set up an export of slideshow with jams/running commentary? and transitions and file-labels/info onscreen if you go in for all that multimedia presentation frippery). Faststone can be kind of a pig depending on your hardware and what you want to do with it. IrfanView kept crashing a few times when I first was trying wine (after reboot it should be better, just like win32 :lol: ). May be best to install, reboot and then get it all set up how you like if you do go with iview/wine...

YMMV &havefun

DMcCunney

Re: Best program for managing photos in Puppy?

#17 Post by DMcCunney »

tazzels wrote:Hi, I have installed 431 puppy and created partitions on my old 128mb machine. I have a usb drive with hundreds of photos that I need to arrange and sort into slideshows for watching on my PC. In windows I could see small thumbnails and I had a few digital camera progs that I could use. What do I use with Puppy please? I like Viewnior and my slideshows work well on that and if I could see my photos as thumbs in the directories that would really solve the problem. I have tried right clicking on the icon in the program but only a few change. All my edited files show as thumbs.. i.e. If I have changed them in paint shop pro in Windows.
The missing part of this puzzle is what format your camera stores digital images in. There are various programs for Linux that will view image files, including thumbnails, but they make assumptions about the image format, and normally handle things like JPG. If your camera saves pictures as RAW files, I don't know a Linux viewer offhand that will display them.

What did you use under Windows?
______
Dennis

tazzels

#18 Post by tazzels »

Hi Dennis
What did you use under Windows?
They are all jpg files. if I right click on the icon in Rox I might get just one show as a thunbnail out of thirty files. Sometimes Rox creates a separate thumbnail folder that may have 3 thumbs in it. Its really weird.

I downloaded most programs correctly that people suggested (apart from x file explorer) and the jpg files just showed as lists in those too. However Puppy was corrupted when I switched PC back on today and have had to revert to a previous puppy save. Bit reluctant to mess this one up.

I want to get images showing in Rox first with my basic puppy set up, as according to FLASH he/she has same problem and it may be hardware.
[/img]
Tazzels, can you tell us more about your hardware? I have the same problem, that right-clicking doesn't usually show all images in a directory as thumbnails. Sometimes none of them show.
Attachments
screenshot.png
This shows a typical view in Rox
(104.16 KiB) Downloaded 805 times

Fossil

#19 Post by Fossil »

Have you tried GQView? Works fine in 4.1.2
http://ftp.linux.hr/pub/puppylinux/pet_packages-4/
It also has a rudimentary slide show feature.
But, if you literally have "hundreds" of images which have to be turned into thumbnails on a 128 meg machine, the problem may also be memory.

tazzels

#20 Post by tazzels »

Yes thanks, I have tried gqview as dejan5 recommended that. I am happy with the slideshow viewer in puppy 431 but I just need to see thumbs of my photos so I can organise them. I have a 40 gb hard drive so storage not a problem, neither is memory as I have been running windows xp with panda virus checker, it is just slow! I was able to view my pics as thumbs and run a slide show under windows but internet was painfully slow. I really want to switch to Puppy away from XP