Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 18 Apr 2014, 21:04
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Is Puppy the right distro for me.
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
icehole

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jan 2010, 18:50    Post subject:  Is Puppy the right distro for me.
Subject description: Am I in the right place.

This is a Copy of a post of mine that I got basically no responce from on the ubuntu forums

Quote:
So after loosing about 1TB of data to WHS corrupting almost everything I am looking for something new.

What I need is a server to run a Torrent app that has good remote admin (will be used from my desktop like a seedbox), allow me save & share data from across my network (will have win, macos & ubuntu on it), & be able to run PyTivo (a python based software that trans codes video on command)to serve out my video's to my Tivo's. Also this must be able to be operated headless (no kbd, monitor, or mouse connected) after setup.

Also I am not sure if its possible under nix, But I really really likes the way that WHS treated multiple drives as it shared them all out as a single drive & it managed file duplication across the drives & most importantly allowed the user to add & remove drives as needed without rebuilding a raid array.

Hardware:

Abit NF7-S2 mainboard (does not boot usb)
AMD Sempron 3000+ (2.0 ghz)
2gb OCZ ddr400 ram
1TB Samsung EcoSmart drive (more to be added later)
Generic Sata DVD Rom
8GB Compact Flash (266x so relatively fast) w/ IDE adapter

What I am hoping to do is load the OS to a RamDrive from the CF. After its setup I will have no need to change anything in the OS So loading like a Live CD with no to minimal changes is fine. Boot time is not a concern as this wont be powered down often.

I Know that without the ramdrive part this would probably be fairly easy, But I don't want the OS on the big drive & a CF isn't going to perform well under most cases with the OS Running on it.

I Know this is a pretty big bite for my 1st Linux Anything beyond a basic install & use so any help, pointers, walk through's, or even criticism's would be appreciated.

Basically will puppy do what I need.. if not can someone point me in the right direction as my own research has ended me up here.
jemimah

PostPosted: Thu 11 Feb 2010, 13:29    Post subject:  

Ramdrive is no problem: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48465.

Python and that other stuff might take some effort though.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: