Derivate for the Samsung NC10 suggestion ?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gillmaus

Derivate for the Samsung NC10 suggestion ?

#1 Post by gillmaus »

Hello!

Recently i bought a Samsung NC10. It's totaly crapped with XP so i decided to put some linux stuff on it.

I want to try linux mint(just works) and puppy(speedy) and a 3rd distro.

Which puppy-derivates could fit on that little beauty? Pupeee? Aspire Puppy? ... or regular 4.3.1?

And in addition: Do you know another linux-ditro that is known to work fully-featured on the nc10 ?

Thank you in advance,
Gillmaus

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

Specs:

http://samsungnc10review.com/nc10-specifications/

""""""""""

Barrys Experimental???

http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/pupp ... rimental1/

pup-432.iso 117463040 08-Feb-2010 01:30

//////////

He has a new Quirky coming soon.

Chris.

gillmaus

#3 Post by gillmaus »

Thank you I will check this out!

I will use this thread to blog my experiences so far:

First I tried is EasyPeasy 1.5 (based on Ubuntu 9.04 / jaunty):

- I used their proposed method of install (usb-stick)

- WLAN did work out of the box.

- My UMTS/3G Module is detected by NetworkManager but I havent tested connecting.

- update sources didnt work. i had to :
sudo apt-get clean && sudo mv /var/lib/apt/lists /var/lib/apt/lists.old && sudo mkdir -p /var/lib/apt/lists/partial && sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get update

- Sound / internal mic / skype worked after update. I had to install padevchooser and tweak it + pavucontrol. Man, I hate these sound issues with linux. I REALLY makes me wanna go back to the dark side!

- Webcam: great!

- Touchpad and usb-mous great!

- Keyboard: Sound, sleep, mute, toggle touchpad and brightness worked. Several others had no effect (or I just didnt knwo what they did, for one of the those keys crippled my keyboard-mapping)

- Sleep/Recover: great.

Finally I knew that karmic(9.10) is buggy so I took the right descision with easypeasy based on jaunty (9.04), it just works out everything (after a little bit of tweaking). BUT Ubuntu is slow, very slow. There is enough space on my drive for more partitions....

gillmaus

#4 Post by gillmaus »

After I felt pretty confident with easy peasy I had to push myself to try out the next OS:

AcerPuppy410.

I used unetbootin to create a bootable usb-drive out of the acerpup iso. This worked very well. Acerpup boots fast and xorg config detected my 1024*600 display.

WiFi worked without problems.
The touchpad worked but without the scrolling functionality.
I couldn't set the screen brightness and lots of other keys didn't work.
Couldn't get the camera to work.

I stopped at this point because I didn't like the whole design of the acerpuppy AND I don't want to tweak everything.

Next stop: Puppy 4.3.2