Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 13:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puppy Stardust 007
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 9 [123 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
dalderton

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb 2010, 04:05    Post subject:  

Zigbert. The boot goes much the same as other derivatives until the screen opens with basic icons then it takes a fair while to load the finished desktop.I have not timed it but it is noticably slower overall than most Puppys.
I only mentioned it in passing as feedback and it would not influence my use or non use of Stardust. I like the fact that the internals basics are Barrys with lots of small modifications, Very impressed with the Control Panel.
Incidentally I installed Chrome (very quick)and added it to the top panel after which the Panel icons all went to colour and the theme colour icons disappeared. It does not concern me but why is it so? .I am warming to the edit tray GUI but do find it a bit confusing .I put this down to rapidly approaching senility.
Regards Dennis.
dalderton

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb 2010, 05:20    Post subject:  

Zigbert. I just ran a comparison between 005 006 007 for boot time from Grub Screen to usable desktop and all on different partitions on the same hard disk on the same machine they were 005 26sec 006 28secs and 007 37secs.
I dont know what this proves but there it is .
zigbert

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb 2010, 07:03    Post subject:  

I think the interesting seconds is boot-time AFTER Stardust installation. Third time you boot your Puppy system, you have an optimized startup.

Sigmund

zigbert

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb 2010, 07:06    Post subject:  

This menu shows my MOST USED apps - autogenerated. Updates when jwm starts.

prehistoric

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb 2010, 11:10    Post subject: bug?  

Zigbert,

While I was reconfiguring the utility tray (upper center), I tried adding a shutdown button on the right. The theme buttons on the left all disappeared. Deleting the shutdown button did not bring them back, though they were still listed as present.

Currently running Stardust 007 on a screen with 1024x768 resolution. One thing I noticed was that the default window size for geany was larger than the screen. (From this I deduce that you have a nice, large monitor.)

I'm not as happy with the default font used by Seamonkey in recent versions, when I'm on a screen with 1024x768 resolution. It looks like the output of an old dot matrix printer. I can probably find one installed I like better without installing new fonts.

You might also consider the configuration I've adopted for mouse buttons on the desktop: left click brings up the desktop utilities menu, (since you are selecting the desktop itself); right mouse button brings up the favorites menu, (which is frequently used); middle mouse button brings up the shutdown/restart menu, (which is least used).

This saves me from using the "start" button to shutdown, as in a system which must not be named. Wink
zigbert

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb 2010, 12:31    Post subject:  

prehistoric
The disappearing of the 'Mood-buttons' in the top-tray, is a bug, and already fixed for 008.

Geanys size is now set smaller.

Thanks for feedback.
Sigmund

Roy

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb 2010, 12:49    Post subject:  

I offer my apologies in advance -- I have not tried the last few versions of Stardust -- but I have to ask:

Is there an easy to use CD/DVD ripping program included in Stardust?

It seems that would be a very popular item that many of the younger folks would use a lot.

-Roy
dalderton

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb 2010, 22:03    Post subject:  

Zigbert The times quoted in my previous post were all with Stardust versions that had been installed and had some use i.e. been booted at least 5 times.
Are these times representative of other full install boot times?
Regards Dennis.
zigbert

PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb 2010, 04:08    Post subject:  

Roy wrote:
I offer my apologies in advance -- I have not tried the last few versions of Stardust -- but I have to ask:

Is there an easy to use CD/DVD ripping program included in Stardust?

It seems that would be a very popular item that many of the younger folks would use a lot.

-Roy
You should look in the multimedia menu. Asunder (CD-ripping), Pdvdrsab (DVD-ripping) and Pburn (CD-audio/DVD-video copy and burn).

Sigmund

zigbert

PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb 2010, 04:10    Post subject:  

dalderton wrote:
Zigbert The times quoted in my previous post were all with Stardust versions that had been installed and had some use i.e. been booted at least 5 times.
Are these times representative of other full install boot times?
Regards Dennis.
Hmmmm, sounds strange. I need to check this further...... Thanks

Sigmund

prehistoric

PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb 2010, 10:09    Post subject: pburn, CUPS spool  

Zigbert,

Just noticed that pburn in Stardust 007 is 3.1.7. Must be hard to keep up with that developer. Laughing

While trying different printers, I decided to print a copy of Alex Gotev's tutorial on installing Puppy 4.3.0, from the puppylinux.org site. The pdf displays properly in epdf, but the print job fails mysteriously after a couple minutes of heavy cpu activity. More important, my available memory decreased by hundreds of MB. CUPS never showed a job, so there must have been a crash before a complete job was added to the queue. A check of /var/spool/cups showed the large files filling memory. This spool is now linked to /mnt/home/var/spool/cups, taking it out of the virtual file system in RAM.

This kind of error could be the source of some complaints about Abiword failing on large documents. Pburn has a good message about putting large temporary files in the virtual file system, but nothing of the kind shows up when you use CUPS.

Attempting to open the tutorial in Abiword produced junk, and I still have not identified the cause of the crash on printing from epdf.
Barkingmad

PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb 2010, 13:33    Post subject:  

Hello

I've just tried Stardust and it looks like it will be a keeper for me but just one problem so far.

I wanted to install a Pet package of MPlayer that Big Bass compiled and released in the forum (sorry, I haven't imported my bookmarks yet so I can't ref the thread). I have installed and used this package download in Puppy 4.1.x and 4.2x versions OK.

In Stardust I click on the *.pet file in ROX, the package manager opens as it should, I click "OK" to "Install This Package?" and get a message window reporting "Error: package MPlayer-1.0rc2BB-486 failed to install".

I have successfully installed another package to update Seamonkey and this worked fine and as I expected.

Any ideas would be great -- do I need a newer version of MPlayer for instance? Confused
abushcrafter

PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb 2010, 15:28    Post subject:  

Try downloading it again. Its probably corrupted.
`f00

PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb 2010, 19:22    Post subject:
Subject description: a few observations of p431s7

note: all xdeltas used from s1 to the current s7, all gooD results..

First look was good - seem to recall the text viewer thing wasn't read-only, so Neutral. Worked well out-of-box (and as long as you play within the strictures). Even slapped together a personal icon-theme since what's there was okay, but.. (and mostly I tend not to try and 'generify' apps to shoehorn them into a 'default' role - they are what they are and keep their own look icon-wise rather than go for a cohesive style .. but then again my desktops are fairly bare).

A liveCD discswitch-upgrade from s1 didn't go so well - too much too different. Personally, I'd rather see a jwm-specific 'base' menu system like some other wms use than the shutdown deal (both are limited, but a base makes more sense if you use other wms - shutdown-related and switching can be buttoned in a plogout-box for one-stop simplicity). As far as the utility menu goes, the stock interface for user-binding of hotkeys has never worked well for me.

Very minor - after 1st reboot, pup snagged 'first found' audio (usb headset that I never got around to unplugging) rather than the main SB audigy card (easy/lazy fix to blacklist it and all barking and "g'bye" on next boot/shutdown Smile ).

..Playing about with a variety of wms (most of which are much simpler to manually edit menus), I'm struck by a few entries like printoxx - basically which category makes the most sense (since for me it doesn't seem like the 'usual' graphic tool, more like a design/composer since it meshes text and image layout). Hmm (yah, manual editing is probably not such a good idea if one wishes to stay within the original setup, but..), jwmconfig needs args or something now? Seemed simpler to access directly in other pup(let)s. On the other hand, trimming menus is much better now with pmenu (it's come a long way since earlier versions). Speaking of improved, pmusic is another good example.

Must say, Shinobar's jp updates for pmount and drive_all do really help - especially pmount is a bit more compact in the interface and seems faster (plus no more 'musical' disc-tray messing about Smile ).

The black bg in geany (is it simply inverted? I can't seem to pref it back to a more usable bg for me..) may appeal to some. Don't know that much about modifying geany, but a full dead-black Sad .. it's a true fact that such will usually 'swallow' fine visual differences (like dots and other small glyphs) that show better on other bg values. Whatever, lots of other tes offer more gui display choices (too bad, I usually rely on geany for some things Neutral ).

pcc is good .. but using it to find/use a few subs (example jwmconfig, which I usually put in a jwm 'base' menu like other wms have and are set up for) is kind of a defeating feature of the centralization (possibly I just haven't stumbled upon the correct method for that particular sub .. default wizard may be another). ppm may have an issue related to pets installed via local dl'd item (that or the following dotpet might not be properly spec'd?) - just installed imagemagick-6.5.6-10 dotpet and ppm only listed you2pup-1.3-2 (which is not even in my local store Rolling Eyes as far as I know, anyways). No biggie.

@zigbert - if your niece Ayla is still on-board the design team, screenshot 204k of the palette/selector part of ASWallpaper for a little taste of the as color gui.
davec51

PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb 2010, 22:37    Post subject: Stardust Desktop
Subject description: An Appropriate setting

With a name like Stardust, maybe you need a desktop picture like the one I have put on mine. It's the Whirlpool Galaxy, one of the most spectatular in the region not far from the Milky Way.
star_desktop.jpeg
Description 
jpeg

Download 
Filename  star_desktop.jpeg 
Filesize  230.27 KB 
Downloaded  313 Time(s) 
star_desktop.jpeg
Description 
jpeg

Download 
Filename  star_desktop.jpeg