Puppy Stardust 007

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
DaveS

#61 Post by DaveS »

trio wrote:Ziggy,

Is the absvolume disappearing problem resolved? It only appears ater we click and slide the slider....
Have to repeat the process every boot...............
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

zigbert

#62 Post by zigbert »

trio wrote:Is the absvolume disappearing problem resolved?
I have replaced absvolume with retrovol (pizzasgood). Works really good. Both traybar, but also the full mixer. First gui (apart from alsawizard) that determines all my channels.

Sigmund

jpeps

#63 Post by jpeps »

zigbert wrote:
trio wrote:Is the absvolume disappearing problem resolved?
I have replaced absvolume with retrovol (pizzasgood). Works really good. Both traybar, but also the full mixer. First gui (apart from alsawizard) that determines all my channels.

Sigmund
warning: you can't simply remove absvolume from .xinitrc (as suggested in retrovol thread)...or X won't load

edit: problem resolved...
Last edited by jpeps on Wed 03 Feb 2010, 03:26, edited 1 time in total.

dawnsboy

#64 Post by dawnsboy »

warning: you can't simply remove absvolume from .xinitrc (as suggested in retrovol thread)...or X won't load
Yes you can. I did it just now. The user can remove the ./xinitrc entry for absvolume or simply comment it out. One can also replace "absvolume" with "retrovol" in ./xinitrc. If one chooses to remove or comment out the absvolume entry in .xinitrc then retrovol may be started with creating a symlink in the Startup folder.

technowomble

#65 Post by technowomble »

trio wrote:technowomble,

or you can edit /boot/grub/menu.lst

title 4.3.1 Retro Final Frugal on hda4
rootnoverify (hd0,3)
kernel /431retro/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4 rw vga=normal psubdir=431retro ide=nodma acpi=force
initrd /431retro/initrd.gz

Note: Stardust kernel will not suit older hardware well
It's certainly looking that way, I did a fresh install, adding ' acpi=force ', but still the same. Looks as if it's back to 4.2.1 for the laptop, until Ziigbert produces a retro version.

JMW4th

#66 Post by JMW4th »

JMW4th wrote:
01micko wrote:pup_stardust-006.iso:pup_stardust-007.iso.delta

Checksum087e0a5b673c4abdadecdd86a1f52c37 pup_stardust-006.iso:pup_stardust-007.iso.delta

Save in same dir as Stardust 006 iso image and click delta...it opens gui.. click GENERATE.. 007 is generated..

Cheers
running Stardust on a full HD install. will this upgrade work for me? I'm not sure where the ISO is on my computer, or if I still even have one.

also, I'm not sure if 007 fixes this, but in 006 it seems like my sound drivers are not loading when I boot up the computer. I keep having to run the ALSA wizard to get my sound working every time i reboot the computer. and no volume control tray icon either.

jpeps

#67 Post by jpeps »

dawnsboy wrote:
Yes you can. I did it just now. The user can remove the ./xinitrc entry for absvolume or simply comment it out. One can also replace "absvolume" with "retrovol" in ./xinitrc. If one chooses to remove or comment out the absvolume entry in .xinitrc then retrovol may be started with creating a symlink in the Startup folder.
I guess I should have said "might not load"; It didn't on my grub setup. I replaced & commented it out...both caused X not to load.

01micko

#68 Post by 01micko »

JMW4th wrote:
JMW4th wrote:
01micko wrote:pup_stardust-006.iso:pup_stardust-007.iso.delta

Checksum087e0a5b673c4abdadecdd86a1f52c37 pup_stardust-006.iso:pup_stardust-007.iso.delta

Save in same dir as Stardust 006 iso image and click delta...it opens gui.. click GENERATE.. 007 is generated..

Cheers
running Stardust on a full HD install. will this upgrade work for me? I'm not sure where the ISO is on my computer, or if I still even have one.

also, I'm not sure if 007 fixes this, but in 006 it seems like my sound drivers are not loading when I boot up the computer. I keep having to run the ALSA wizard to get my sound working every time i reboot the computer. and no volume control tray icon either.
Xdelta is a file difference manager. It is only good on one file.

The pup_stardust-006.iso is one file.. your full install is a whole bunch of files so therefore the delta file I posted will only work on the original iso file. You need to find where you downloaded 006 and then apply the Xdelta technique (saving the xdelta file I posted in the same location)

You would then need to reinstall completely your full install. I find it much easier to use frugal installs, or especially when testing beta puppies, I often will use the save back to CD/DVD method.

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

dalderton

#69 Post by dalderton »

JMW4th I would have thought that you would have the CD that you installed 006 with so if you copy it to a directory that you create and call it Stardust or something similar ,then download 01micko's XDelta file to the same directory and press the button it will create the 007 iso which you burn to a CD disc and use it to install 007.
I have a tray mounted hard disc with 4 partitions so when one puppy version goes out of date I wipe it and install the one that I want but am able to access all my info from the Puppy versions on the other partitions
Works for me.
I tried the frugal install a couple of times but could not really see an advantage for me .
Incidentally the only downside I have with the Stardust series is that they are a bit slow booting. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages though
Regards Dennis.

zigbert

#70 Post by zigbert »

jpeps wrote:
dawnsboy wrote:
I guess I should have said "might not load"; It didn't on my grub setup. I replaced & commented it out...both caused X not to load.
It will be interesting to get feedback when we all can test Stardust 008.

Sigmund

zigbert

#71 Post by zigbert »

dalderton wrote: Incidentally the only downside I have with the Stardust series is that they are a bit slow booting.
Stardust is sure slower on first boot, but is it also slower on later boots? If so, are you able to point on what section during startup that is slower. - loading of modules? - Start up X? - load desktop? - get internet connection? ...

Sigmund

jpeps

#72 Post by jpeps »

zigbert wrote:
jpeps wrote:
dawnsboy wrote: Yes you can. I did it just now. The user can remove the ./xinitrc entry for absvolume or simply comment it out. One can also replace "absvolume" with "retrovol" in ./xinitrc. If one chooses to remove or comment out the absvolume entry in .xinitrc then retrovol may be started with creating a symlink in the Startup folder.
It will be interesting to get feedback when we all can test Stardust 008.

Sigmund
I also tried with pfix=ram, commenting out "absvolume &" and restarting X....wouldn't load.

edit: that's probably a bad test, since not having an argument would cause an error.
Last edited by jpeps on Wed 03 Feb 2010, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.

prehistoric

printing with HP Officejet 6000

#73 Post by prehistoric »

jpeps wrote:...I also tried with prefix=ram, commenting out "absvolume &" and restarting X....wouldn't load.
I hope you really typed "pfix=ram".

Zigbert,

I just got my HP Officejet 6000 working with Stardust 007. For those who don't know what to expect, this depends on installing the hpliplite package listed in the Puppy Package Manager as: hpliplite-3.9.8-mu-p4.pet. The PPM will automatically pull in the libnetsnmp-15-mu-p4.pet package this depends on.

Some HP printers are supported 'out of the box' without any version of hplip. If you don't have one such, you will need to install the above packages.

Note: the hpliplite-3.9.12.pet fails to install. Use the official version in the PPM.

This printer has a network interface, in addition to USB. You have to be careful to select the right one. In my case, this was easy because there was no other printer connected by USB at the time.

Installing the drivers for Windows XP on my notebook took about 20 minutes, with the machine working hard, and me in the dark about what it was doing. The resulting installation has considerable to say about HP imaging solutions, automatic updates, and opportunities to buy HP products. The Comodo Defender+ module had to be reassured repeatedly that this was activity I approved of. (To tell the truth, I'm not sure it was, but I said so anyway to get installation finished.)

Installing on Puppy Stardust 007 took less time, storage space and confusion. So far, so good.

I'll tackle Epson and Canon printers tomorrow.

Added: my trouble with hpliplite3.9.12 was due to a bad download. This pet is nearly 10 MB. I'll continue testing to see if this version is better than the version due to mu.
Last edited by prehistoric on Fri 05 Feb 2010, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

jpeps

Re: printing with HP Officejet 6000

#74 Post by jpeps »

prehistoric wrote:
jpeps wrote:...I also tried with prefix=ram, commenting out "absvolume &" and restarting X....wouldn't load.
I hope you really typed "pfix=ram".
Yeah, typo. Anyway, its works now. Problem was commenting out caused an error. The "if" statement requires an argument.

dawnsboy

#75 Post by dawnsboy »

Problem was commenting out caused an error. The "if" statement requires an argument.
Right. Comment each line of the absvolume entry.

dalderton

#76 Post by dalderton »

Zigbert. The boot goes much the same as other derivatives until the screen opens with basic icons then it takes a fair while to load the finished desktop.I have not timed it but it is noticably slower overall than most Puppys.
I only mentioned it in passing as feedback and it would not influence my use or non use of Stardust. I like the fact that the internals basics are Barrys with lots of small modifications, Very impressed with the Control Panel.
Incidentally I installed Chrome (very quick)and added it to the top panel after which the Panel icons all went to colour and the theme colour icons disappeared. It does not concern me but why is it so? .I am warming to the edit tray GUI but do find it a bit confusing .I put this down to rapidly approaching senility.
Regards Dennis.

dalderton

#77 Post by dalderton »

Zigbert. I just ran a comparison between 005 006 007 for boot time from Grub Screen to usable desktop and all on different partitions on the same hard disk on the same machine they were 005 26sec 006 28secs and 007 37secs.
I dont know what this proves but there it is .

zigbert

#78 Post by zigbert »

I think the interesting seconds is boot-time AFTER Stardust installation. Third time you boot your Puppy system, you have an optimized startup.

Sigmund

zigbert

#79 Post by zigbert »

This menu shows my MOST USED apps - autogenerated. Updates when jwm starts.

prehistoric

bug?

#80 Post by prehistoric »

Zigbert,

While I was reconfiguring the utility tray (upper center), I tried adding a shutdown button on the right. The theme buttons on the left all disappeared. Deleting the shutdown button did not bring them back, though they were still listed as present.

Currently running Stardust 007 on a screen with 1024x768 resolution. One thing I noticed was that the default window size for geany was larger than the screen. (From this I deduce that you have a nice, large monitor.)

I'm not as happy with the default font used by Seamonkey in recent versions, when I'm on a screen with 1024x768 resolution. It looks like the output of an old dot matrix printer. I can probably find one installed I like better without installing new fonts.

You might also consider the configuration I've adopted for mouse buttons on the desktop: left click brings up the desktop utilities menu, (since you are selecting the desktop itself); right mouse button brings up the favorites menu, (which is frequently used); middle mouse button brings up the shutdown/restart menu, (which is least used).

This saves me from using the "start" button to shutdown, as in a system which must not be named. :wink: