Puppy Stardust 007

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
JMW4th

#46 Post by JMW4th »

01micko wrote:pup_stardust-006.iso:pup_stardust-007.iso.delta

Checksum087e0a5b673c4abdadecdd86a1f52c37 pup_stardust-006.iso:pup_stardust-007.iso.delta

Save in same dir as Stardust 006 iso image and click delta...it opens gui.. click GENERATE.. 007 is generated..

Cheers
running Stardust on a full HD install. will this upgrade work for me? I'm not sure where the ISO is on my computer, or if I still even have one.

also, I'm not sure if 007 fixes this, but in 006 it seems like my sound drivers are not loading when I boot up the computer. I keep having to run the ALSA wizard to get my sound working every time i reboot the computer. and no volume control tray icon either.

trio

#47 Post by trio »

Attachments
pscreenshot.jpg
(17.65 KiB) Downloaded 1122 times

Barkingmad

#48 Post by Barkingmad »

Hello

I'm liking the look of this Puplet but there's one thing before I give it a try out.

In other, slightly older, Puppies I have experianced what I understand is a bug in JWM that stops Flash video eg. YouTube from working in full screen. Has this been fixed in the JWM you have used in stardust?

Thanks
Will

ttuuxxx

#49 Post by ttuuxxx »

Barkingmad wrote:Hello

I'm liking the look of this Puplet but there's one thing before I give it a try out.

In other, slightly older, Puppies I have experianced what I understand is a bug in JWM that stops Flash video eg. YouTube from working in full screen. Has this been fixed in the JWM you have used in stardust?

Thanks
Will
Hi the flash issue is flash/jwm based, Then newer versions of JWM have it fixed, 2.14X never had that issue, because I used the latest jwm, and latest Firefox/flash 10 combo. It could be as easy as just copying another JWM from another release ontop of the buggy one and replace the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so file. But with stardust I think it should work fine since its 4.3.1 based.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Barkingmad

#50 Post by Barkingmad »

Thanks ttuuxxx

That's what I was wanting to know. I'll probably give Stardust a try as it looks pretty cool :)

trio

#51 Post by trio »

I have updated PScreenshot to v 1.1

zigbert

#52 Post by zigbert »

trio wrote:Ziggy, new dir2pet for 4.3.1 and above
Got it
trio wrote:I have updated PScreenshot to v 1.1
Thanks a lot

Sigmund

zigbert

#53 Post by zigbert »

01micko wrote:Hi Sigmund

There is a bug in Pwidgets.. the Temp_cpu widget.. take a look at the config file and you will see it straight away... won't work on a eee pc.
I will fix

Thanks
Sigmund

zigbert

#54 Post by zigbert »

DaveS wrote:Q Zigbert.... how does the 'favourites' system work?
It is very simple
Step 1: link whatever you want in $HOME/.stardust/favorites/
Step 2: restart jwm, and $HOME/.jwmrc will execute /usr/sbin/fixmenus_favorites that generates the xml code for jwm.

Sigmund

dalderton

#55 Post by dalderton »

All I can say is WOW!! This derivative is getting better all the time. 01micko's Delta deal works immaculately. I am using full install and had the 005 iso where I had downloaded it so I put it in a directory and downloaded the Delta and put it in with it ,pressed the button for the gui and pressed the generate button and Bingo. Burnt the iso and loaded and installed it .All too easy.
Cups worked seamlessly with my HP5550 Deskjet printer and it printed the test page instantly.Gutenprint Driver.
Thanks to all concerned. Regards Dennis

technowomble

#56 Post by technowomble »

Zigbert.
I tried a fresh D/L in case the old one was corrupted, but I'm still getting the ' power off ' issue. I'm trying Stardust on a relatively elderly (ca. 1998 ) Dell laptop, which may have something to do with it, although 4.2.1 was OK. I'm going to try ttuuxxx's 4.31.1, if that has the same problem then it looks as if 4.3.1 and my laptop just can't get on.

trio

#57 Post by trio »

technowomble,

Hve you try booting with parameter:

acpi=force or acpi=off

Older hardware sometimes needs that.

(On the Grub Splash, you push F2 button to edit, then add the parameter, press enter)

technowomble

#58 Post by technowomble »

trio.
Sorry, I should have (re)mentioned that I'm running a full install, trying to edit in the boot splash just gives me ' invalid device string '. I've tried doing a frugal install, but I'm obviously misunderstanding something in the instructions. Should I be running grub config from the live CD before I do the install?

trio

#59 Post by trio »

technowomble,

or you can edit /boot/grub/menu.lst

title 4.3.1 Retro Final Frugal on hda4
rootnoverify (hd0,3)
kernel /431retro/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4 rw vga=normal psubdir=431retro ide=nodma acpi=force
initrd /431retro/initrd.gz

Note: Stardust kernel will not suit older hardware well

trio

#60 Post by trio »

Ziggy,

Is the absvolume disappearing problem resolved? It only appears ater we click and slide the slider....

DaveS

#61 Post by DaveS »

trio wrote:Ziggy,

Is the absvolume disappearing problem resolved? It only appears ater we click and slide the slider....
Have to repeat the process every boot...............
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

zigbert

#62 Post by zigbert »

trio wrote:Is the absvolume disappearing problem resolved?
I have replaced absvolume with retrovol (pizzasgood). Works really good. Both traybar, but also the full mixer. First gui (apart from alsawizard) that determines all my channels.

Sigmund

jpeps

#63 Post by jpeps »

zigbert wrote:
trio wrote:Is the absvolume disappearing problem resolved?
I have replaced absvolume with retrovol (pizzasgood). Works really good. Both traybar, but also the full mixer. First gui (apart from alsawizard) that determines all my channels.

Sigmund
warning: you can't simply remove absvolume from .xinitrc (as suggested in retrovol thread)...or X won't load

edit: problem resolved...
Last edited by jpeps on Wed 03 Feb 2010, 03:26, edited 1 time in total.

dawnsboy

#64 Post by dawnsboy »

warning: you can't simply remove absvolume from .xinitrc (as suggested in retrovol thread)...or X won't load
Yes you can. I did it just now. The user can remove the ./xinitrc entry for absvolume or simply comment it out. One can also replace "absvolume" with "retrovol" in ./xinitrc. If one chooses to remove or comment out the absvolume entry in .xinitrc then retrovol may be started with creating a symlink in the Startup folder.

technowomble

#65 Post by technowomble »

trio wrote:technowomble,

or you can edit /boot/grub/menu.lst

title 4.3.1 Retro Final Frugal on hda4
rootnoverify (hd0,3)
kernel /431retro/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4 rw vga=normal psubdir=431retro ide=nodma acpi=force
initrd /431retro/initrd.gz

Note: Stardust kernel will not suit older hardware well
It's certainly looking that way, I did a fresh install, adding ' acpi=force ', but still the same. Looks as if it's back to 4.2.1 for the laptop, until Ziigbert produces a retro version.