Thunderbird for 'middle-aged' Pups....

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

Thunderbird for 'middle-aged' Pups....

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

I know Thunderbird isn't to everyone's liking. Many think it's too big, so prefer alternatives like Sylpheed or Claws Mail instead.

Personally, I'm not, generally speaking, a Mozilla fan. I lost interest in Firefox when Chrome was first released, nearly a decade ago.....yet I've always been of the opinion that Thunderbird is the best, 'all-round', cross-platform email client there is, mainly for its sheer ease of use.

This is version 38.8.0. I'm aiming it at 'middle-aged' Pups; 3-5 yrs old, with plenty of life in them, yet where the repo support has evaporated.....because in the normal course of things, you would obtain it via the PPM. It's not so new that it'll cause problems, yet it's reasonably up-to-date. Although I started with the newest Pup available, 3 1/2 yrs ago, I'm slowly digging down through the layers of Puppy history.....and discovering some real gems. Like greengeek's 'VoxPup', with voice control modules re-mastered into it...

It's based on Upup Raring, itself based on Ubuntu 13.04 'Raring Ringtail'.....one of the intermediate, short-term support releases between the LTS versions. 9 months instead of 5 years; it lost support some time before I even joined the Forum. The repos are completely dead, so everything in this Puppy install is either a .pet package, or an SFS.

I wanted T-Bird, so there was only one way I was going to get it; download it from Mozilla's archives, and package it myself. Which is exactly what I've done, complete with a Menu entry for ease of starting. There's an SFS package.....and for those of you running 'full' installs on fairly ancient hardware, there's a .pet package, too.

Anyone wants to snag a copy, you can find it here:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/zckoe0 ... hunderbird

This one works fine with Upup Raring,Precise & Racy. Help yourselves to whichever one you want, and.....enjoy.

Mike. :wink:

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Just added 45.8.0, also available as .pet or SFS packages. This is the version that 38.8.0 will update to if you go to Menu->Help->About Thunderbird (the same way FireFox updates), so I thought I'd provide this version for those who want it straight away.

(This version will itself update to the current 52.3.0 - 07/10/17)

It still works fine with Upup Raring, Precise and Racy. So; help yourselves.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Experienced, adult, not 'old' !

#3 Post by Pelo »

Thunderbird for 'middle-aged' Pups....' you mean 'adult' 8) seniors, experienced.

Subito Piano

#4 Post by Subito Piano »

Thanks, Mike! I often have issues with new T-bird releases...! Installed yours and found out how to disable auto-update feature (here). Much appreciated! Image
[color=green]"God is love" - [url=https://www.esv.org/1+John+4/]I John 4:12[/url][/color]
ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ Rockin' on a 2007 IBM/Lenovo T60 Centrino Duo with 32-bit XenialPup 7.5! :D
(A/V Linux for live digital synth needs)