How to install gcompris in Puppy 4.3?

Booting, installing, newbie
gmalloy

How to install gcompris in Puppy 4.3?

#1 Post by gmalloy »

I am trying to salvage an old laptop (NEC Versal LX w/ a pentium II processor). Not sure how much memory other than not much. The hard drive has two partitions: linux swap and ext 2. I've done a full install to the hard drive of puppy 4.3, it's the only os on it. I'm a complete newbie at this. It's working so I'm on the right track.

First question...I'm trying to install gcompris. I'm stuck. Where do the files go & how do I install it & get it up and going?

Second question...is there anyway to remove what I don't need, like internet options, etc.

I know just enough about windows to get into trouble now & again. I'm afraid I may be in over my head with this.

Jim1911

#2 Post by Jim1911 »

Welcome to puppy. You picked a fine educational program to install and you'll do fine since lifr has already done most of the work.
lifr wrote:Gcompris 8.4.13, and dependencies:
gnucap + gnuchess + python + pysqlite + pycairo + pygobject +pygtk + SDL + SDL mixer +tuxpaint
to be found here: http://ljfr2.perso.neuf.fr/pet_packages-4/general/
You need to download the packages and dependencies noted above from lifr's personal page. To install them, just click on the file, the .pet file will place the files in the correct location.

I've used the above to install it on 431 and dpup484. It works well on both.

Puppy 4.3 is pretty lean and you'd be taking a chance by removing items at this time.

Jim

sidders

#3 Post by sidders »

gmalloy

remove what I don't need, like internet options, etc.
Are you locking it down so little ones can't wander where you don't want them to?.

Jim1911

#4 Post by Jim1911 »

sidders wrote:Are you locking it down so little ones can't wander where you don't want them to?.
I just let them use a Kids version that has all the extra icons removed from the desktop. Of course, it's a frugal installation with backups of the pupsave. I have no idea how to protect a full hd installation of puppy so that it could be easily restored other than a full backup of the partition.

Jim

gmalloy

#5 Post by gmalloy »

sidders wrote: Are you locking it down so little ones can't wander where you don't want them to?.
Exactly. Now that I know what to do, I'm not so worried about it.

Gcompris is working perfectly now. thank you!! Very easy to do. Mind-boggling to a novice like myself but pleased with the accomplishment.

I'm seriously considering tackling an old desktop next....after a little more research/education, of course.

sidders

#6 Post by sidders »

You could give this a whirl, if its for the kids

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49124

It has gcompris, tuxpaint, tuxtype, math etc.