Grub4DosConfig

Miscellaneous tools
mavrothal

#361 Post by mavrothal »

666philb wrote:will this patch also work with grub4dos 1.9.2?
It should but I never tested it. I do not think the code has been changed in that part.
Try to patch it and if it does not fail, should be OK.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

recobayu

#362 Post by recobayu »

I have linuxmint and ubuntu installed in my laptop.
Can we set grub4dos so that we can see splash screen of ubuntu or linuxmint on boot?

april

#363 Post by april »

How to use Grub4Dos for USB drives
A video tutorial
Can we just have something written that does not use a whole lot of download data.!

starhawk

#364 Post by starhawk »

grub4dos appears to have problems booting from SD cards, at least in an SD-to-IDE adapter. I have booted Puppy from that media successfully with extlinux/syslinux -- but grub4dos consistently fails.

This is in reference to this post and thread.

jlst

#365 Post by jlst »

The official grub4dos is long dead, however you might want to use the grldr from this file:

http://dl.grub4dos.chenall.net/grub4dos ... 6-04-26.7z

Which has many enhacenments in every possible way. If it doesnt work, you can report this issue in the chenall github repo

nic007

#366 Post by nic007 »

starhawk wrote:grub4dos appears to have problems booting from SD cards, at least in an SD-to-IDE adapter. I have booted Puppy from that media successfully with extlinux/syslinux -- but grub4dos consistently fails.

This is in reference to this post and thread.
I don't have that problem, multi-booting from sd card with grub4dos no problems. My SD card is FAT formatted.

starhawk

#367 Post by starhawk »

@jlst -- I'll check that later.

@nic -- mine is ext4.

rcrsn51

#368 Post by rcrsn51 »

It's been my experience that some BIOSes only boot USB devices off a FAT partition. I'm guessing that their USB drivers were not built to recognize anything else.

But that might not apply here.

starhawk

#369 Post by starhawk »

Sorry for slow reply. The SD card is in an adapter that presents an IDE interface, so USB indeed does not apply. Although, my "Puppy testing" drive is an ext3-formatted USB flash stick, and the system in question boots just fine from that.

Hmm. Maybe it's the use of ext4 instead of ext3. I've got to recompile an Xorg driver module for XenialPup, so I may try reformatting the card when I go to do that...

gyro

Patched ""/usr/sbin/grub4dosconfig" provides uuid to "init"

#370 Post by gyro »

Attached "grub4dosconfig_uuid-1.9.2.pet" contains a patched version of the "/usr/sbin/grub4dosconfig" file.
It now supports the recent "init" boot parameter support for specifying partitions with a uuid.
It does this by adding a "pdrv=<uuid>" boot param if the entry contains a "uuid <uuid>" line.

So instead of producing an entry like this:

Code: Select all

title Puppy tahr 6.0.5.3 (sdc2/tahr)
  uuid 2b4a3075-e41d-4ee4-ab92-7e7d73843a3a
  kernel /tahr/vmlinuz  psubdir=tahr pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /tahr/initrd.gz
it produces an entry like this:

kernel /tahr/vmlinuz  pdrv=2b4a3075-e41d-4ee4-ab92-7e7d73843a3a  psubdir=tahr pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /tahr/initrd.gz
A "pdrv=" boot parameter is used because only recent "init"s that support uuid's also support "pdrv=".

Since we are specifying the partition to "grldr" why not provide the same curtesy to "init"?

Note: To use this pet, grub4dosconfig must already be installed.

gyro
Attachments
grub4dosconfig_uuid-1.9.2.pet
clicck on file to install
(20.19 KiB) Downloaded 350 times

Pelo

bookmarked for translation to fr

#371 Post by Pelo »

traduction à faire pour les francophones forum francophone
Being translated to french for help to some users.

belham2

Re: Patched ""/usr/sbin/grub4dosconfig" provides uuid to "init"

#372 Post by belham2 »

gyro wrote:Attached "grub4dosconfig_uuid-1.9.2.pet" contains a patched version of the "/usr/sbin/grub4dosconfig" file.
It now supports the recent "init" boot parameter support for specifying partitions with a uuid.
It does this by adding a "pdrv=<uuid>" boot param if the entry contains a "uuid <uuid>" line.

So instead of producing an entry like this:

kernel /tahr/vmlinuz  psubdir=tahr pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /tahr/initrd.gz
it produces an entry like this:

kernel /tahr/vmlinuz  pdrv=2b4a3075-e41d-4ee4-ab92-7e7d73843a3a  psubdir=tahr pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /tahr/initrd.gz
A "pdrv=" boot parameter is used because only recent "init"s that support uuid's also support "pdrv=".

Since we are specifying the partition to "grldr" why not provide the same curtesy to "init"?

Note: To use this pet, grub4dosconfig must already be installed.

gyro

Hi Gyro,

I've been using grub4dos for a few years, and I am wondering why anyone would want to add this ability with "pdrv=" parameter? Since you already have to enter the UUID once, what reason and/or attraction is there for doing it again? Are you saying these new init's that can recognize UUID for partitions are not going to boot if this pdrv is not on the kernel line? Sorry if this all sounds stupid, I am struggling hard here to see the or any benefit of this pdrv parameter. Doing things the simple, old way (the first entry method in your example) is not the init forced, as grub4dos goes through its motions, to be assigned to that partition? Why complicate things with a "pdrv=" entry that only repeats what init is actually forced to do as grub4dos boots? Or am I not correctly understanding how grub4dos works??? Thanks for any clarity and/or understanding on this.

gyro

#373 Post by gyro »

belham2 wrote: Hi Gyro,

I've been using grub4dos for a few years, and I am wondering why anyone would want to add this ability with "pdrv=" parameter? Since you already have to enter the UUID once, what reason and/or attraction is there for doing it again? Are you saying these new init's that can recognize UUID for partitions are not going to boot if this pdrv is not on the kernel line? Sorry if this all sounds stupid, I am struggling hard here to see the or any benefit of this pdrv parameter. Doing things the simple, old way (the first entry method in your example) is not the init forced, as grub4dos goes through its motions, to be assigned to that partition? Why complicate things with a "pdrv=" entry that only repeats what init is actually forced to do as grub4dos boots? Or am I not correctly understanding how grub4dos works??? Thanks for any clarity and/or understanding on this.
The point is that the information in the "uuid" line is not passed on to "init", hence the "pdrv=" parameter so that "init" does get this information.
When "init" starts everything is in RAM, there is nothing to indicate where it booted from.
That's why the old "init" went searching through all partitions for the appropriate "vmlinuz'.
And why the new "init" will search through all partitios for the appropriate puppy...sfs.
Unless of course the boot partition is defined to puppy with a "pdev1=","pupsfs=", or "pdrv=" boot parameter.

gyro

belham2

#374 Post by belham2 »

gyro wrote:
belham2 wrote: Hi Gyro,

The point is that the information in the "uuid" line is not passed on to "init", hence the "pdrv=" parameter so that "init" does get this information.
When "init" starts everything is in RAM, there is nothing to indicate where it booted from.
That's why the old "init" went searching through all partitions for the appropriate "vmlinuz'.
And why the new "init" will search through all partitios for the appropriate puppy...sfs.
Unless of course the boot partition is defined to puppy with a "pdev1=","pupsfs=", or "pdrv=" boot parameter.

gyro

Thank you, gyro....I usually can see the trees, but rarely the forest :( Thanks for clearing it up so my mind could see it.

gyro

Patched "/usr/sbin/grub4dosconfig" provides uuid to "init"

#375 Post by gyro »

Attached is an updated verrsion, "grub4dosconfig_uuid-1.9.2.2.pet".

Changes:
1. Adds "pdrv=" boot parameter to frugal entries in "menu-advanced.lst". The previous version only worked for frugal entries in "menu.lst".
2. Very minor change, add "/" to front of "psubdir=" value.

gyro
Attachments
grub4dosconfig_uuid-1.9.2.2.pet
click to install
(20.2 KiB) Downloaded 374 times

Argolance

#376 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
My question doesn't concern directly Grub4DosConfig but Grub4Dos users who perhaps experienced this problem and know how to solve it: the "halt" command doesn't work at all. I can reboot without any problem but not shutdown my computer using this "halt" command from my USB flash drive menu.lst entry...

Thank you for you attention.

Cordialement.

shinobar

grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.3

#377 Post by shinobar »

Updated:
grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.3.pet (2018-08-03)
http://shinobar.server-on.net/puppy/opt/

#2018-08-03 v1.9.3: fix chain loading grub2, always install wee as for mbr, fix for full installed (mavrothal)
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

foxpup

#378 Post by foxpup »

Thanks shinobar!
First update in a long time, that is nice.

hamoudoudou

Grub4Dos is so easy to use ! nice.

#379 Post by hamoudoudou »

merci. Grub4Dos is so easy to use ! nice.

rockedge

#380 Post by rockedge »

Thanks shinobar! :D