Puppy Stardust 006

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
prehistoric

what happened to jpeg format?

#31 Post by prehistoric »

Zigbert,

We have a problem connected with the libraries for reading jpg files. When I went to change the wallpaper to something not in /usr/share/backgrounds, I got the message that the file contained no data. Nor could mtpaint open the file. Installing gimp 2.6, and trying to convert to png that way also failed with the message "unrecognized file format".

pemasu

#32 Post by pemasu »

Tasmod: About XF-prot. You could upload it to ftp server I have small quanta. I can PM you specs if you want to. And then put url link for downloading to this thread and anywhere else if you like. I like to have it also.

tasmod

#33 Post by tasmod »

Thanks pemasu,

I've just edited the post and added a link for a free hosting site where the file is.

I'm also going to check a fresh install, I believe there is an old definitions file there, if so I'll make a pet without it in. Just update defs then.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

tasmod

#34 Post by tasmod »

Ah, just checked a fresh install, f-prot and virus definitions isn't installed unless you click menu. Then it links to site and downloads.

Hmm, I have an idea. Will try something else and report back.
Rob
-

tasmod

#35 Post by tasmod »

OK, I can make a small pet which will overcome all this.

F-prot is not installed on a fresh Puppy but it is once the menu link is pressed. It needs an internet connection then it downloads f-prot and virus definitions.
So the Puppy iso does not contain the larger app with virus definitions.

Install before downloading f-prot. I don't know if it will work if you have already downloaded. Perhaps someone can report?
Attachments
XFProt-0.2.pet
(129.69 KiB) Downloaded 465 times
Rob
-

zigbert

#36 Post by zigbert »

trapster wrote:I have not tried Stardust006 yet. Hard keeping up with this and puppeee updates :)

Is your Pmenu an upgrade of my Pmenu or something totally new?
(though obviously, anything you do is an upgrade to anything I've done) :)
I didn't know. This could have saved me some work :)

Sigmund

zigbert

Re: what happened to jpeg format?

#37 Post by zigbert »

prehistoric wrote:Zigbert,

We have a problem connected with the libraries for reading jpg files. When I went to change the wallpaper to something not in /usr/share/backgrounds, I got the message that the file contained no data. Nor could mtpaint open the file. Installing gimp 2.6, and trying to convert to png that way also failed with the message "unrecognized file format".
I tested no some jpgs, and they work fine in viewnior, mtpaint and gimp. Does your images work in Puppy 4.3.1?

Sigmund

prehistoric

not jpeg problem, wallpaper setter to blame

#38 Post by prehistoric »

Zigbert,

The wallpaper setter in Puppy Stardust 006 is in serious need of house training. After pursuing several false leads, based on the mistaken idea about jpeg libraries, I went back, and looked at the images I was using. That was when I discovered the wallpaper setter was modifying the pictures themselves, and creating a parallel directory for Originals. All the pictures I had tried were clobbered, and the files ending in jpg really didn't hold data. :shock:

Bad dog! No, no, no! :lol:

This is a little strange when working with /usr/share/backgrounds, and becomes positively unreal when I use something in /mnt/home/pictures, or some similar location I thought safe from Stardust. :roll:

You want to leave the originals where you find them, and make working copies in a place where no one will mind. You also need to fix a bug in the wallpaper setter which clobbers those jpg files once they are used.

trio

Re: not jpeg problem, wallpaper setter to blame

#39 Post by trio »

The wallpaper setter in Puppy Stardust 006 is in serious need of house training. After pursuing several false leads, based on the mistaken idea about jpeg libraries, I went back, and looked at the images I was using. That was when I discovered the wallpaper setter was modifying the pictures themselves, and creating a parallel directory for Originals. All the pictures I had tried were clobbered, and the files ending in jpg really didn't hold data. :shock:

Bad dog! No, no, no! :lol:

This is a little strange when working with /usr/share/backgrounds, and becomes positively unreal when I use something in /mnt/home/pictures, or some similar location I thought safe from Stardust. :roll:

You want to leave the originals where you find them, and make working copies in a place where no one will mind. You also need to fix a bug in the wallpaper setter which clobbers those jpg files once they are used.
Barry did some adjustment to the wallpaper setter in 431 (base of stardust), that is to auto-adjust the image to fit widescreen nicely

bigpup

Wallpaper setter problem

#40 Post by bigpup »

The wallpaper setter in Puppy Stardust 006 is in serious need of house training. That was when I discovered the wallpaper setter was modifying the pictures themselves, and creating a parallel directory for Originals. All the pictures I had tried were clobbered, and the files ending in jpg really didn't hold data.
This happens to me too.

zigbert

Re: not jpeg problem, wallpaper setter to blame

#41 Post by zigbert »

Is this a specific Stadust bug, or does it also happen in Puppy 4.3.1?

Sigmund

zigbert

#42 Post by zigbert »

Rob
Thanks a lot for the xf-prot fix

Sigmund

prehistoric

clobbering wallpaper images

#43 Post by prehistoric »

Zigbert,

My first idea, about jpeg libraries, misled me. I had tested under stock 4.3.1 and found things working that did not appear to work under Stardust. This was simply because I had not used the wallpaper setter on those images. I've now rebooted and run tests on the same machine under stock 4.3.1, and reproduced the behavior. I'm really surprised we haven't heard about this before.

I've attached a screen shot, made with stock 4.3.1, showing a bizarre collection of "Original" directories created on my home partition. The modified jpg files were corrupted, but the original is accessible in a different directory.
Attachments
screenshot-wallpaper-dirs.jpg
rescaled screen shot of directories on /mnt/home produced by wallpaper setter
(92.98 KiB) Downloaded 539 times

jpeps

#44 Post by jpeps »

No biggee...just convert the jpg's in /usr/share/background_original to png's in /usr/share/background. Bottom line...use png format for background. (although I think they worked in 005)

prehistoric

backgrounds

#45 Post by prehistoric »

jpeps wrote:No biggee...just convert the jpg's in /usr/share/background_original to png's in /usr/share/background. Bottom line...use png format for background. (although I think they worked in 005)
Getting backgrounds to work is not the problem, as you can see in that screen shot. The behavior which causes trouble is modifying files nobody expected to be modified. Creating new directories in some place where I store images I want to keep is a problem. People who take photos and want to try them on the desktop will be ticked if they lose the date and time the file was last modified. Just try to sort 1,000 pictures from a holiday without times, and you'll catch on quickly. There are ways around this, but that is not something you want naive users to run into. One scrambled collection of pictures, and the word that Puppy is too dangerous for photographers to use will get around. We don't want that.

jpeps

Re: backgrounds

#46 Post by jpeps »

prehistoric wrote:
jpeps wrote:No biggee...just convert the jpg's in /usr/share/background_original to png's in /usr/share/background. Bottom line...use png format for background. (although I think they worked in 005)
Getting backgrounds to work is not the problem, as you can see in that screen shot.
On my settup, jpg's in /usr/share/background corrupt right away, and don't load.

dalderton

#47 Post by dalderton »

Has there been a change in the CUPS program. It is working perfectly on 005 but when I made a seperate installation of 006 (both hard disk installs on separate partitions) it goes through the motions including identifying the printer involved (HP5550 Deskjet) but will not print a test page. I rebooted to 005 and it works perfectly. Any thoughts?
Other than that I have been using 005 as my primary OS and am very satisfied with it ,staying true to Barrys original with useful mods seems to be the answer.
Regards Dennis .

jpeps

#48 Post by jpeps »

A number of us reported that we couldn't print test pages, but otherwise it works.

dalderton

#49 Post by dalderton »

jpeps Well how about that.You are right.Normally the test page works but not this time. Everything good .
Regards Dennis

zigbert

#50 Post by zigbert »

I will remove /usr/sbin/background_reshape to avoid image cropping when changing wallpaper. This is a tool Barry introduced to keep format of wallpapers when stretching. It does only work for jpgs and for pictures in 4:3 format, and relies on some apps from the netpbm package which I of course want to get rid of :) .......... to be honest, I don't see the value of such a program on Stardust. The wallpapers in the iso are all stretchable, and when user chooses his/her own, it will be chosen because it fits screen.

dalderton mentioned that printing testpage works in 005. Good news. That means it is not a font, but a netpbm tool. probably some of them......I will find out.

Sigmund