For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
trio

#16 Post by trio »

/usr/sbin/jwmconfig should go....

bernibiel

Moving from Stardust 005 to 006

#17 Post by bernibiel »

Hi all

before I have to redo everything that I have done so far to configure Stardust 005 - can I retain the save file fom 005 and simply start using 006 or do I have to start from the beginning.

Thanks - Bernhard

technowomble

Re: Moving from Stardust 005 to 006

#18 Post by technowomble »

bernibiel wrote:Hi all

before I have to redo everything that I have done so far to configure Stardust 005 - can I retain the save file fom 005 and simply start using 006 or do I have to start from the beginning.

Thanks - Bernhard
I expect 01micko will come in on this, but I understand that there is a 005>006 update delta, which presumably will retain all your configurations.

bernibiel

#19 Post by bernibiel »

Thanks technowomble

Actually I was thinking about just simply taking my USB key with Stardust 005 on it and simply replace pup-431.sfs on the key with the one from the Stardust 006 iso.

I am hoping that after booting up I would be able to use the existing configurations in the save file but now in Stardust 006.

Sorry if I wasn't precise enough in my first post.
As always - any help or comments appreciated - Bernhard

jpeps

#20 Post by jpeps »

bernibiel wrote:Thanks technowomble

Actually I was thinking about just simply taking my USB key with Stardust 005 on it and simply replace pup-431.sfs on the key with the one from the Stardust 006 iso.

I am hoping that after booting up I would be able to use the existing configurations in the save file but now in Stardust 006.

Sorry if I wasn't precise enough in my first post.
As always - any help or comments appreciated - Bernhard
...don't think that will load the desktop (at least it didn't for 005)

01micko

#21 Post by 01micko »

technowomble wrote:I expect 01micko will come in on this, but I understand that there is a 005>006 update delta, which presumably will retain all your configurations.
Er, not exactly.. The delta file is only to upgrade the iso.

What I do is backup the "/root" directory (of the previous installation) somewhere.. that way all pets and files you have downloaded are easily accessible.

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

zigbert

#22 Post by zigbert »

I am ashamed! Pmenu doesn't work as supposed. It is not Pmenus fault, but a silly bug in my Stardust-generator-script. :oops: The menu in 006 was never meant to show ALL menu-items, - only those in Stardust 005. The rest should be addable from Pmenu. The good thing though, is that Trio found missing icons in the desktop-menu :)

Rob, I'm glad you jumped into xf-prot.

Sigmund

trio

#23 Post by trio »

zigbert wrote:I am ashamed!
OOooh Joy, Making an OS is fun!

tasmod

#24 Post by tasmod »

Zigbert,

I have xfprot working but not from the script install from the menu. This is flawed with the gui part.

I'm considering how to do this, I suppose a pet is the best way. However I'm not exactly sure what items are necessary so I will include all.

Once it opens gui there is an option to update the definitions.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

trapster

#25 Post by trapster »

I have not tried Stardust006 yet. Hard keeping up with this and puppeee updates :)

Is your Pmenu an upgrade of my Pmenu or something totally new?
(though obviously, anything you do is an upgrade to anything I've done) :)
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

DaveDX

#26 Post by DaveDX »

Any download mirrors?

davec51

LameSMB Explorer Works!

#27 Post by davec51 »

I'm disappointed that no one responded to my cry for help about connecting to my wired network with Stardust 006, but suddenly I was able to make it work. I don't know how.

tasmod

#28 Post by tasmod »

Wow, I have a working XF-Prot as a pet BUT it's 24meg in size.

That means I can't post it here and I have no hosting facilities.

This is due to the virus definitions file at 47meg expanded on it's own, although this is the latest definitions.

Wonder if Barry realised that this is in the iso as well. No XF-Prot and maybe a lot of space to spare.

I have tested it on 3 installs and it makes each one work from the menu entry.

Where to now ?

EDIT----See later post, but this still works.
Here that's where.

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-bf4a3a6d.html

This is datafilehost location for the file.
Last edited by tasmod on Sun 24 Jan 2010, 19:45, edited 2 times in total.

prehistoric

problem with video and desktop installation

#29 Post by prehistoric »

I'm posting this from a machine with SiS embedded video (671), which is known to have problems at high resolutions. I forgot that it has trouble with 1024x768x24 and chose that in xorgwizard. This showed the test pattern adequately, but, when I went to the full desktop, while the alert about allowing the desktop to install was up, the screen was so messed up I didn't notice the warning, and bailed out with control-alt-backspace. This left a seriously defective desktop after I got xorgwizard to 1024x768x16, and used xwin to restart the GUI. With no menus, panels or bars, there isn't much you can do from the desktop.

You need to either display a text message before launching the desktop, in case the message there is unreadable, or allow the call to xwin to restart desktop configuration from scratch in this situation. A flag to indicate if desktop configuration has ever been completed would be a way to tell if you need to start from scratch. (I'm using "configuration" where you say "installation". We have enough confusion about installing things.)

I've also seen the problem with cpu use maxing out, though I was not running alsamixer at the time, but reconfiguring Pwidgets. I did my usual messing around, by moving the analog clock and adding some widgets. The analog clock did not immediately appear, until I right-clicked on the side panel.

Suggestion: shouldn't the message for Pwidgets be "Change Widgets" not just "Add Widget"? This also appears in the menus, and may confuse someone who merely want to move or remove something.

prehistoric

Re: LameSMB Explorer Works!

#30 Post by prehistoric »

davec51 wrote:I'm disappointed that no one responded to my cry for help about connecting to my wired network with Stardust 006, but suddenly I was able to make it work. I don't know how.
I think this has to do with Pwireless2 doing things you didn't know about while you were trying the first time. Jemimah would like that to handle all network connections. She may need to add some notification.

prehistoric

what happened to jpeg format?

#31 Post by prehistoric »

Zigbert,

We have a problem connected with the libraries for reading jpg files. When I went to change the wallpaper to something not in /usr/share/backgrounds, I got the message that the file contained no data. Nor could mtpaint open the file. Installing gimp 2.6, and trying to convert to png that way also failed with the message "unrecognized file format".

pemasu

#32 Post by pemasu »

Tasmod: About XF-prot. You could upload it to ftp server I have small quanta. I can PM you specs if you want to. And then put url link for downloading to this thread and anywhere else if you like. I like to have it also.

tasmod

#33 Post by tasmod »

Thanks pemasu,

I've just edited the post and added a link for a free hosting site where the file is.

I'm also going to check a fresh install, I believe there is an old definitions file there, if so I'll make a pet without it in. Just update defs then.
Rob
-

tasmod

#34 Post by tasmod »

Ah, just checked a fresh install, f-prot and virus definitions isn't installed unless you click menu. Then it links to site and downloads.

Hmm, I have an idea. Will try something else and report back.
Rob
-

tasmod

#35 Post by tasmod »

OK, I can make a small pet which will overcome all this.

F-prot is not installed on a fresh Puppy but it is once the menu link is pressed. It needs an internet connection then it downloads f-prot and virus definitions.
So the Puppy iso does not contain the larger app with virus definitions.

Install before downloading f-prot. I don't know if it will work if you have already downloaded. Perhaps someone can report?
Attachments
XFProt-0.2.pet
(129.69 KiB) Downloaded 465 times
Rob
-