PawdioConverter feedback

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PawdioConverter feedback

#1 Post by Flash »

I needed to shrink an mp3 book, that was created at 144 kbps/stereo, down to 32 kbps/mono. (This eventually reduced the whole thing from 1005 MB down to 252 MB. 32 kbps mono sounds the same to me as 144 kbps stereo, so why waste the room?) I first thought to try Snack, but it turns out that the Snack package has a dependency problem. So I installed the PawdioConverter package. It took a while to figure out if it would even do what I wanted. It seemed to be all there, but kept giving an error message (that it couldn't find some directory) when I left the "use source directory" box checked. But I kept trying different things until finally it worked.

Here are a few notes:

1. If the name of the destination directory has spaces in it, PawdioConverter seems to start to work but too soon stops, with an error message that gives no clue (to me anyway) that it can't handle spaces in the name of the destination directory. (I saw a window at one point telling what characters are permitted, but it didn't explicitly prohibit spaces so it took me a while to realize that was the problem. :lol: ) This is a relatively minor problem, in that the obvious workaround is to use a name without spaces until PawdioConverter has finished, then change the name. Still, wouldn't it be possible to make it so that spaces are ok?

2. This one is really serious. When I chose a source directory full of mp3 files to convert (instead of a single mp3 file) PawdioConverter first converted every mp3 file in the source directory into a wav file, which it put in a tmp directory inside the destination directory, before it began to convert any of the wav files into mp3 files. In my case, of converting mp3 to whatever, this blows up the source files by a factor of about 20, which could use up all the available space in the partition where the destination directory is located. It seems to me that the Puppy way should require a far smaller temporary directory for the intermediate wav files. How about converting each source file completely to the final version before starting on the next? That way, the temporary directory only holds one wav file at any time.

I hope this is not taken as griping, but rather friendly,constructive criticism from someone who appreciates the program. It works, but it could be even better. :)

plinej

#2 Post by plinej »

Yeah, I understand what you're saying but I've pretty much lost interest in working on the apps I made. I've got too much other stuff going on lately. Please, anyone feel free to modify my apps anyway you see fit.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Thanks for replying, plinej. I'm sorry to hear you've lost interest. :cry: Well, I can use the program as is, I just have to be careful that there's enough room in the destination directory to hold everything.

I'm willing to take a shot at fixing it, if you wouldn't mind getting me started by mapping out a general approach for a rank beginner. I don't even know where in Puppy 2.17 to find the files that I need to modify, or in what language or script style the program is written. Is it PuppyBasic?

I remember that pbcdripper had the same two problems (initially couldn't use spaces in names, and ripped the whole CD before starting to convert tracks to mp3) and you fixed them, so maybe I, or someone else, can figure out how to do the same for pawdioconverter from looking at what you did to pbcdripper.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

plinej wrote:Please, anyone feel free to modify my apps anyway you see fit.
:cry:
They are great progs. Appreciate that you are moving on.

Just thought your work should be acknowledged with a big thank you and good wishes for your future endeavours.

:D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

plinej

#5 Post by plinej »

I'll still be around I just kind of got sick of constantly working on the apps. I just want to be a user for a while. All of the apps I wrote are a combination of bash & gtkdialog scripts. All of the media programs should be in the /usr/local/apps/Media/ directory.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

8) Understood
Your apps are very polished - a bit of the perfectionist present :)

Being an end user is fun. Glad you will still be around
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Nathan F

#7 Post by Nathan F »

One way to really save some space here woulod be to use pipes to convert to wav, but write it to stdout and then take that output as the input for the conversion back to mp3. I know sox can do pipes and I'm pretty sure ffmpeg can (although I'm not familiar with how it works).

As an example take a loog at my gpRip program, which pipes the output from cdparanoia directly into lame, oggenc, or flac without ever writing the wav files to disk. That's a huge space savings.

If I ever find the time maybe I'll look into it myself, but I'm a bit out of it lately myself (right in the middle of a career change).

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#8 Post by plinej »

Hey Flash, I did some work on this and you can see I updated to 1.0 in the forums. I was able to convert files with spaces in a directory with spaces with no problem. I thought I resolved that in a previous version. Make sure you download my newest version and try again. I think I'll add another option of checkboxes to transcode with either sox or ffmpeg. That way if you know that either sox or ffmpeg supports your input and output file type you can bypass the decode to wav step.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Thanks, Plinej. I've been so busy with summer projects that I hadn't yet looked into modifying it. I could have tried out the 1.0 version yesterday, when I converted two books to 32 kbps mono. I'll give it a trial run soon. :)

plinej

#10 Post by plinej »

I think I found what you were talking about flash. I should have an update sometime in the next couple of days.

plinej

#11 Post by plinej »