Quirky 005 Feedback

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
esmourguit

#31 Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour à tous,

Just for information, in remasterpup2, it seems that the amount of free space does not appear.
Picture attached.

Cordialement ;)
Attachments
remasterpup2.jpg
(50.5 KiB) Downloaded 593 times
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#32 Post by Lobster »

Quirky 005 also has the 'nouveau' driver, that you should test. It didn't work for me. I do hope to have more success with the nouveau driver when I upgrade to the 2.6.33 kernel.
Tried nv and nouveau again - no luck - only vesa worked
The last nvidia driver that worked for me (in 4.2 Puppy)
was this rather obscure one
NVIDIA-177.82-k2.6.25.16.pet
It did not work in Puppy 4.3.1
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#33 Post by 01micko »

Installed Q 005 as frugal on the wife's Compaq evo box, p4 1.8, 1gig ram, intel 64M graphics. Ok so far.

One problem, and this I experienced on different hardware but with the same model wireless usb dongle... (TP link, TL-WN321G.. ralink chipset), in all quirky's so far.

Proceeded with the network wizard, scanned network, entered essid and wep key, then it runs a test, the test takes too long indicating failure. Sure enough, no network. Tried again, same result. I ended up doing the same as I did with Q 003 and installed the latest Pwireless2 and I had no problems, straight online.

I have had no problems with the current Network Wizard in any other puppy.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

panzerpuppy

#34 Post by panzerpuppy »

Another bug in Quirky-005

From xerrs.log and Xorg.0.log:

(WW) Warning, couldn't load module 'xtrap'
(EE) Failed to load module 'xtrap' - module does not exist
Turbopup Tech Support

tronkel

#35 Post by tronkel »

Problems with WLAN in Quirky 005.

Neither my Intel Classmate (original version), nor my WLAN Ralink USB card dongle will go online. The Asus eeepc which uses an ath5k module also will not connect.

The Ralink WLAN card in the Classmate, the stand-alone dongle plugged into the PC (both needing rt73usb) as well as the ath5k card in the Asus are all visible as wlan0. GPRS mobile broadband on the Asus eeepc 901 works OK though via the built-in Huawei 620 modem.

There therefore seems to be an encryption library(s) missing. Puppy 431 stable connects no problem.

I think there might be a link to (or a dotpet of) the relevant libraries available somewhere in the forum. Will have a look and get back if I find them.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

shinobar

latest remasterpup2

#36 Post by shinobar »

esmourguit wrote: remasterpup2, it seems that the amount of free space does not appear.
merci esmourguit.
you can find the latest version, remasterpup2-100120.pet from here

it has Joliet option and backward compatibility with non-woof puppy 4.x, and merged with barry's latest update.
P.S. the transration( .mo file) to be modified.

Code: Select all

#v431JP mkisofs with Joliet option, volume id, what copied from cd, remove slmodems
#v431JP error message for full install
#091212 weird bug, no processes but when run this, x restarts...
# 28dec09 remove /modules/${KERNELVER}/modules.*
#100117 save user-modified rox globicons file.
# 20jan10 Puppy v4.x(before woof) backword compatibility
Last edited by shinobar on Wed 20 Jan 2010, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

shinobar

closing cd tray

#37 Post by shinobar »

panzerpuppy wrote:- pmount quickly closes the optical drive tray after ejecting a CD / DVD. This is annoying and *DANGEROUS*.
There's no such problem when ejecting the CD via ROX-Filer.
This is a long-standing bug of Puppy and must be fixed ASAP.
The 431JP has improved codes on /usr/sbin/pmount and on /usr/local/bin/drive_all.
they also have modified code on vfat and iso9660 mount options.
Attachments
drive_all-431jp.gz
# 13jun09 vfat and so9660 - utf8 option as the default
# 15jun09 : look up /etc/codepage only for vfat utf8 option
# 27jun09 : vfat mount options
# 30jun09 I18N
# 08jul09 looking up ONDRVNAME, ask to remove CD
# 16jul09 not ask to remove CD, only open tra
(4.32 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
pmount-431jp.gz
#v420JPa1 4Jun09: fix mount iso9660, ext2/ext3
# 27jun09 I18N, vfat mount options by Masaki Shinomiya <shino@pos.to>
# 08jul09 ask to eject CD
#w476 fix codepage for vfat f.s. ... neglected by Masaki Shinomiya
#w477 fix pmount crash when running xve
(7.13 KiB) Downloaded 465 times

JustGreg

#38 Post by JustGreg »

Quirky 005 works well on both my computers. The wireless networking works normally on my desktop using a USB doogle. It needs the RT73usb modulle. My wireless network uses WPA2 encryption with out any problems. All the need encryption modules are present.

The 2goPC (second generation Classmate) uses the RT73USB module. It works with a script that I have for the wireless network. I did find that Pwirless would not see the wireless network. I did try using crtl F1 to turn on/off/on the wireless device. I did find the connection wizard did see the network. Trying my script I was able to make a connection to the WPA2 network. I hope this helps. I will try a few more times to see if I can see/ repeat any problems.

I saw a YouTube video with out any problems (other than slow connection). I also listen to a podcast. Both work with a hitch. Quirky is progressing nicely.
Last edited by JustGreg on Thu 21 Jan 2010, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

tronkel

#39 Post by tronkel »

More progress with WLAN

I tried configuring wlan0 this time using pWireless. This worked OK
on the PC, Classmate PC as well as on the Asus eeepc901 netbook.

I then went back to the Quirky network wizard and then found that I could connect to wifi via that method as well.

PWireless must have therefore configured something correctly that the normal Quirky network manager wizard could not - so doesn't then appear to have anything to do with WEP encryption after all (or?).

Since I have never had to use pWireless to connect up to wifi in the past, I'll have to have a further look around to learn how pWireless configures itself.

JustGreg

#40 Post by JustGreg »

Tronkel, I did a few more wireless experiments with both the Classmate and Pc2Go (same wireless hardware).

I am using quirky005 on 128 Megabyte USB flash dreive. It was installed using Boot Flash Install utility. The wireless script that I use to connect ito my WPA2 network s a version of Tempestuous one.

With the 2goPC after boot, I checked with the console command iwconfig. The only network listed was the loop back one. Using iwconfig wlan0, did show the wireless device was there, but not up. I checking with console command iwlist wlan0 scanning and it confirmed the network was down. I used my wifi-up script and connected to the network with out a problem. I checked Google to ensure the connection was good. I was able to view and hear a Google youtube video.

I rebooted the 2goPC to start from the initial state of no wireless. Using iwllist wlan0 scanning did confirm the network was down. The console command ifconfig wlan0 up was used to bring the wlan0 network up. After, iwlist wlan0 scanning did report the correct information on the wireless network. Pwireless also worked.

With the Classmate, I only did the second test. After boot, iwlist reported the wlan0 down. After using iwcofnig wlan0 up to start up the network, everything connected and worked.

The problem seem to be the wireless network needs to be started up either with console command or a script after booting up.

In the past with Puppy 4.30 and the 2goPc, I have run into a problem where the wireless device was not powered after boot up. I had to use the crtl F1 keys to ensure it was turned on. The LED was lighted after boot., a bit strange. Quirky005 seems to be very good for my netbook. I will probably go to it for the 2GoPC once Barry releases a final version.

I hope this helps.
Last edited by JustGreg on Thu 21 Jan 2010, 19:07, edited 2 times in total.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

invisible man

Network Connect (NW Wizard)

#41 Post by invisible man »

Netbook, HP110 NR, Bcm 4312 driver. I've been using Technosauras Broadcom wl, Pet pkg. for the 30.5 kernel, (Having to reboot, after full installs) Then initiate the Network Wizard) on all 4 series Puppy"s, to connect to wireless. Stardust 005, 006, work straight out, with no pet having to be installed. Quirky 005 displays wl, in network wizard, only after installing Techno's pet pkg from a cd. Even removing B43 driver, first, manually didn't allow it to work. A window appears saying the file cannot be read. I haven't pursued further, I noticed Micko's thread, but Bcm is probably kernel related problem; just thought I'de mention.Invisible Man
Last edited by invisible man on Mon 25 Jan 2010, 23:08, edited 2 times in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#42 Post by BarryK »

tronkel wrote:More progress with WLAN

I tried configuring wlan0 this time using pWireless. This worked OK
on the PC, Classmate PC as well as on the Asus eeepc901 netbook.

I then went back to the Quirky network wizard and then found that I could connect to wifi via that method as well.

PWireless must have therefore configured something correctly that the normal Quirky network manager wizard could not - so doesn't then appear to have anything to do with WEP encryption after all (or?).

Since I have never had to use pWireless to connect up to wifi in the past, I'll have to have a further look around to learn how pWireless configures itself.
That's interesting... would you mind trying one more thing. On a clean new boot (pfix=ram), install pwireless2 but don't use it. Go straight ahead and use the Network Wizard.

That will narrow it down, whether it is just some file that Pwireless2 has installed, or some change when Pwireless2 is run.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

JustGreg

#43 Post by JustGreg »

I deleted the quirky save file to force a clean boot. I have tried twice (two boots) to see if Pwireless would detect my WPA2 wireless network. Pwireless would not list my wireless network. I had to issue the console command ifconfig wlan0 up first, then Pwireless would report the presence of my wireless WPA2 network. I will do one more check.

I did a quick check. Rebooted clean, Pwireless did not see the wireless network. I open network wizard and did the connection up to point that one enters the profile information. I closed network wizard without making a connection. Pwireless worked properly and listed the network after closing the network wizard. In the network wizard script, I am fairly sure that ifconfig wlan0 up is issued once the particular (wlan0) network is selected.

I hope this helps.
Last edited by JustGreg on Thu 21 Jan 2010, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

timremy

quirky 005

#44 Post by timremy »

hello

quirky 005 is very nice.

works well with my intel m processor and wifi connects. (rt73usb)

but can the dog ice skate?

timremy

shinobar

Re: closing cd tray

#45 Post by shinobar »

panzerpuppy wrote:- pmount quickly closes the optical drive tray after ejecting a CD / DVD. This is annoying and *DANGEROUS*.
There's no such problem when ejecting the CD via ROX-Filer.
This is a long-standing bug of Puppy and must be fixed ASAP.
shinobar wrote:The 431JP has improved codes on /usr/sbin/pmount and on /usr/local/bin/drive_all.
they also have modified code on vfat and iso9660 mount options.
well...looking up the code of woof, drive_all has no problem as for the cd tray management.
the problem is in pmount.
at the line 493 of /usr/sbin/pmount, it ejects cd and the pmount exits.
the problem occures after that when pmount restarts, it closes cd tray.
the code of pmount need some dialog after ejecting cd and before restart.

Code: Select all

m_01="Pmount Puppy Drive Mounter"
m_38="OK"
m_39="Remove medium, then press '$m_38'"

#[ "$DOFS" = "iso9660" ] && eject $DODEV && gxmessage  -title "$m_01" -center -buttons "$m_38":0 "$m_39"
  if [ "$TOPACTUAL" = "optical" ]  && eject $DODEV ; then
		gxmessage  -title "$m_01" -center -buttons "$m_38":0 "$m_39"
		[ "$PMOUNTQUIT" = "true" ] &&  eject -t $DODEV
  fi
OFF TOPIC: pburn has same problem regarding cd tray.

belinaro

#46 Post by belinaro »

hi Barry,

the last Quirky (005) doesnt have module saa7134 so I cant use TVTime to see television, Puppy and old Quirkies have it

please, help me ! :roll: :)

tronkel

#47 Post by tronkel »

Barry wrote:
That's interesting... would you mind trying one more thing. On a clean new boot (pfix=ram), install pwireless2 but don't use it. Go straight ahead and use the Network Wizard.
OK tried that. Couldn't find pwireless2 in the Quirky repo so I used Jemimah's pwireless2 beta. Installed that, didn't start it and went straight to network wizard. Same old problem - no joy. Then tried pwireless2 itself - it couldn't see any networks at all of any kind.

Then had a look at Just Gregs's postings - this helped, so well spotted Greg.

What he suggested is:

Start from a pristine live CD boot up. Go to network wizard and go only as far as scanning for visible networks and do no profile entry. Then shut down network wizard and start Quirky's Pwireless.

Pwireless then saw the interfaces and also succeeded in obtaining a lease via DHCP.

Where does that get us to with this problem though. Network wizard grabs the active connection but cannot get a lease via DHCP. Pwireless seems to be able to do that part.

It also looks as if Network Wizard also brings up wlan0 without having to use ifconfig from a shell.

Confused? LOL so am I - I'm off for a coffee to think further about this.

Denethor

#48 Post by Denethor »

because the icons of jvm have a black background?

JustGreg

#49 Post by JustGreg »

I was trying to test the 2goPC web camera with Quirky, I found that uvcvideo mdoule (needed) is not part of quirky. I decide to look for pet for uvcvideo using the pet package manager. I found that the Pet Package Manager could not be resize to allow one to see the packages due to 800 by 480 screen. This has happen before. I will search the forum for the fix. But, I thought I should mention the problem.

I checked my notes on Puppy. The problem was found with Puppy 4.1. The fix was called petget_fix.pet I can not seem to find it using either the forum search, puppy google search or google search. I did find it under my old Classmate files.

Good news and bad news, petget_fix.pet does eliminate the re-sizing problem of the Pet Package Manager. But, it changes the Manager so it does not list installed pets and eliminates the selection buton for quirky.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

rameshiyer

Quirky.05

#50 Post by rameshiyer »

First time, while booting after installation of Quirky 005.ISO. it says Kernel Panic. So installed again Quirky 005 after formating again . This times Quirky booted without any problem.In Quirky 005 Java Runtime is not working in Seamonkey, though the plugins shows Java Runtime. In the case of Google Chrome, Java Runtime working . However, it takes around 5 minutes to load. In earlier version Quirky.002.ISO, Java Runtime works great. Instantly loads java runs both Seamoney and Google Chrome. Now days, almost all sites having Java script. If java runtime is not working properly, Java site is not loading fully or Browser hangs. Please lookinto future versions.

Another issue, Mplayer fails to play DVD. Even if I managed to play some individual video files, the working is not smooth and no audio support. Please pay attention to it.

It is my long pending demand for modem driver 56K Conexant Internal driver is not considered till today. Please arrange in separate pet package if difficult to provide along with ISO.

I am happy to note that sound volume is improved considerably.

Formating ext4 is not possible through Gpart . So hence installed in Ext3. I don't know Ext4 is good ?