Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 17 Sep 2014, 03:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
pUPnGO - 6Mb ISO - Basic Building Block Puplet
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 51 of 58 [868 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, ..., 56, 57, 58 Next
technosaurus

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep 2013, 00:17    Post subject:  

goingnuts wrote:
@technosaurus: Some scripts and application reads rgb.txt direct - if not present they might fail...
should be easy enough to patch those, but I may take a look in the xserver code to see what it uses to send the colors, I've been meaning to see how hard it would be to port xfbdev to xcb anyhow
Quote:
I am trying to get a working version of ImageMagick - I have static builds of 3.6, 4.2.9, 5.2.2 and 6.8.6-9 - increasing in size from 700Kb to 4400Kb for "display". But running "display" is unstable with all versions.
unstable how? doesn't "display" just do the same thing as meh/feh with support for a few extra formats?
goingnuts

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep 2013, 00:58    Post subject:  

ImageMagick display can do image editing (annotations, oilpaint, sharpen etc) ...leftclick in the imagewindow and a menu pops up with all the possibilities. Unstable in the sense that the menu pops up but only "now-and-then" you can use it.

Further tests shows that icewm, xfce and fvwm do not give the problem so its likely to be a jwm-issue...

Attached quick implementation (from jwm commit da207c3) fix it but I don't like patching jwm for a problem only seen in ImageMagick...

Found hints to jwm here

Slight update: The quick patch does not solve everything - haven't expected that anyway. The jwm-762 solves everything concerning ImageMagic but adds unwanted stuff too: Apps writing to root background cant be seen anymore and the sticky windows are back in pager. Besides that is seems to run ok. Attached a static linked version of jwm-762.

I would have liked to patch ImageMagic instead but cant find my way in its code. So I will let it rest as is for now. Version 4.2.9 seems to do more than just the basic things needed to work with xvidcap-1.0.19 so made a multi call binary of all the tools (animate combine convert display identify import mogrify montage xtp) which ends up 1391Kb linked static and 517Kb upxed. Not small enough to post here but I have created a pet-package for download ImageMagick-4.2.9.pet here [591K].
Also attached patch used to facilitate the mcb-build.
Note: Build without tiff-support...
ImageMagic.png
 Description   ImageMagic-4.2.9 running in exp-pupngo with jwm-762
 Filesize   121.47 KB
 Viewed   708 Time(s)

ImageMagic.png

ImageMagick-4.2.9_mcb01.diff.gz
Description  fake .gz
gz

Download 
Filename  ImageMagick-4.2.9_mcb01.diff.gz 
Filesize  5.65 KB 
Downloaded  129 Time(s) 
jwm.gz
Description  fake .gz - static linked jwm-762
gz

Download 
Filename  jwm.gz 
Filesize  192.31 KB 
Downloaded  125 Time(s) 
jwm_2.0.1_IM_try.diff.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  jwm_2.0.1_IM_try.diff.gz 
Filesize  5.79 KB 
Downloaded  127 Time(s) 
goingnuts

PostPosted: Fri 06 Sep 2013, 13:43    Post subject:  

Further blah on xvidcap...
Seems that Xt is used alone until version 1.0.19. After that gtk2 is introduced but Xt is kept until version 1.1.3 and removed from 1.1.4 and from there and on becomes more gnomish.
I did not succeed embedding ffmpeg in 1.0.19 but can do it with 1.1.3. Choose not to as it seems better to be able to choose which version of ffmpeg we want for other usage. A static linked version of xvidcap-1.1.3 with a slightly modified ppm2mpeg +a static linked ffmpeg-0.4.8 and its corresponding ffplay + ImageMagic-4.2.9 can be downloaded here - [xvidcap-1.1.3_plus_ffmpeg_0.4.8_plus_IM-4.2.9.pet/2Mb]
amigo

PostPosted: Fri 06 Sep 2013, 14:22    Post subject:  

I wasn't able to compile either 1.0.19 or 1.1.3 -even with your png patch. Are you probably using png12? I have png14 here after finding and patching several progs/libs which were written for png12.

I finaly got 1.0.19 compiling by deleting the mng_write_sig from xtomng.c. The program runs but i don't know yet if it works.

After a simple './configure' command, here's the errors when trying to build 1.1.3pl1:
Code:
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/amigo/Downloads/xvidcap/xvidcap-1.1.3-p7/src'
if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..    -DVERSION=\"1.1.3\"     -g -O2 -MT xvidcap-mngutil.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/xvidcap-mngutil.Tpo" \
          -c -o xvidcap-mngutil.o `test -f 'mngutil.c' || echo './'`mngutil.c; \
        then mv -f ".deps/xvidcap-mngutil.Tpo" ".deps/xvidcap-mngutil.Po"; \
        else rm -f ".deps/xvidcap-mngutil.Tpo"; exit 1; \
        fi
mngutil.c:36:13: error: conflicting types for 'png_save_uint_16'
/usr/include/png.h:2823:1: note: previous declaration of 'png_save_uint_16' was here
mngutil.c: In function 'mng_write_sig':
mngutil.c:49:2: warning: 'sig_bytes' is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/png.h:1255)
mngutil.c:50:3: warning: 'sig_bytes' is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/png.h:1255)
make[2]: *** [xvidcap-mngutil.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/amigo/Downloads/xvidcap/xvidcap-1.1.3-p7/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/amigo/Downloads/xvidcap/xvidcap-1.1.3-p7'
make: *** [all] Error 2
technosaurus

PostPosted: Fri 06 Sep 2013, 15:14    Post subject:  

amigo wrote:
Code:
mngutil.c:36:13: error: conflicting types for 'png_save_uint_16'
/usr/include/png.h:2823:1: note: previous declaration of 'png_save_uint_16' was here
I assume one was unsigned short and the other an equivalent typedef'd uint type

BTW, I'm taking a grad school class where I have to pick an open source project to do "non-programming" work for. I have it narrowed down to 1 of:
libxcb (mostly documentation )
netsurf/nsfb (testing, bug reporting and documentation)
musl-libc (documentation, testing)
toybox (documentation, testing)
(any other projects I'm interested in would involve code contributions)

any feedback? I'm leaning toward xcb because it lacks the documentation required to port major toolkits from x11 ... perhaps a replacement for tinyX11?

goingnuts

PostPosted: Fri 06 Sep 2013, 15:18    Post subject:  

I am using png-1.2.46 and gcc-3.4.3. Used same patch for 1.1.3 as for 1.0.19 to get pass the conflicting png errors. patch for building xvidcap-1.3.0 in P412
Last edited by goingnuts on Mon 09 Sep 2013, 11:57; edited 2 times in total
goingnuts

PostPosted: Fri 06 Sep 2013, 16:11    Post subject:  

Quote:
BTW, I'm taking a grad school class where I have to pick an open source project to do "non-programming" work for. I have it narrowed down to 1 of:
libxcb (mostly documentation )
netsurf/nsfb (testing, bug reporting and documentation)
musl-libc (documentation, testing)
toybox (documentation, testing)
(any other projects I'm interested in would involve code contributions)

any feedback? I'm leaning toward xcb because it lacks the documentation required to port major toolkits from x11 ... perhaps a replacement for tinyX11?

@technosaurus: xcb seems to be a very good choice...
goingnuts

PostPosted: Mon 23 Sep 2013, 15:29    Post subject:  

xplanet compiles fine as a static linked bin. It gets quite big so cant post package here.
But again I hit the problem with rootwindow being total covered by other apps. In P412 its ROX who prevent a range of applications which write to rootwindow. ROX-1.2 seems not to do this.
jwm newer than 2.1 seems to do the same - covers up rootwindow - and I haven't been able to spot where in the ChangeLog this happened...
Would be so nice if jwm would allow rootwindow to be seen - and same thing for ROX above gtk1.2 versions.
xdesktopwaves mentioned in some post back contains code for writing to backdrop if needed.
Anyway the xplanet is a cool toy for having a more dynamic wallpaper.
xplanet-1.3.0.png
 Description   
 Filesize   227.72 KB
 Viewed   586 Time(s)

xplanet-1.3.0.png

amigo

PostPosted: Tue 24 Sep 2013, 04:21    Post subject:  

Thanks for the xvidcap patch -sorry I hadn't seen the recent replies. xplanet is nice.
goingnuts

PostPosted: Tue 24 Sep 2013, 12:21    Post subject:  

No problem - the patch will not work if embedded ffmpeg is chosen.
Also think that for convenience it should be compiled with that feature enabled to be able to capture and create video in one operation and it does not remove the feature of doing videos from images. I will update my xvidcap-package in near future...

I have to confess I have been wrong about jwm covering rootwindow Embarassed Some snapshots might have had this behavior but a lot of them works fine.

I have just compiled latest jwm (868) and must say: I am impressed!
xplanet, conky, mplayer, xdesktopwaves, xvidcap etc. just works! And the sticky windows in pager is also gone. Bravo! Smile
goingnuts

PostPosted: Wed 25 Sep 2013, 12:37    Post subject:  

Here is a link to xvidcap-1.1.3.pet compiled with embedded ffmpeg for easy creation of screen-cast videos.
And here is a video of my present pupngo2013 draft made with it.
greengeek

PostPosted: Wed 25 Sep 2013, 15:11    Post subject:  

Can't wait to have a go with it. Looks interesting. (The yt vid stopped for me at 11.33 with an "unknown error" so I will try again later)
Ibidem

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct 2013, 02:14    Post subject:  

goingnuts wrote:
Dragging up the original pupngo thread to continue blabla on more basic things...
Back in tinyXlib testing - got stuck with xdesktopwaves. It compiles ok but refuse to run as it cant translate color #406080 and other colors in same syntax. Adding "64 96 128 #406080" to rgb.txt helps a lot but seems to be an unusual hack.
So updated GetColor.c, Xcmsint.h, LookupCol.c, ParseCol.c. Added cmsCmap.c, Cmap.h, Cv.h, CCC.c, cmsColNm.c, XRGB.c, cmsInt.c, cmsGlobls.c, CvColW.c, LRGB.c, CvCols.c, cmsProp.c, HVCGcC.c, XYZ.c, uvY.c, xyY.c, Lab.c, Luv.c, HVC.c, cmsTrig.c, cmsMath.c, AddDIC.c, HVCMxC.c, HVCMxVC.c to X11lib which solves the problem.
BUT adds 20-30K to every binary linked against the new libX11. And most applications does not use the added functions at all. I do compile with "-Wl,--gc-sections,--sort-common,-s" but seems that the new functions are "glued" in...

SO: Are there any way to map the internal dependency of the functions in a library from source-code? If so this could be used to evaluate the consequences of adding functionality or to put in conditions when to use and when not to use...

The obvious solution to xdesktopwaves is to patch the source to use names from rgb.txt and bypass all above additions - but there might be applications that really benefit from the added functions...

Could you provide source for the latest changes? I've seen similar issues with urxvt.

To your question, cxref is the tool I'm aware of.
It looks like you may want to use
-xref -func -html
See http://www.gedanken.org.uk/software/cxref/
goingnuts

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct 2013, 07:22    Post subject:  

@Ibidem: Thanks for the cxref-link
Present tinyXlib-source is here - solved the color problem with settings at compile time - view changelog for details - but as it adds to size I recompile xlib for the (few) apps that needs this addition - and most of the time live well without it.
Ibidem

PostPosted: Sun 27 Oct 2013, 17:32    Post subject:  

goingnuts wrote:
@Ibidem: Thanks for the cxref-link
Present tinyXlib-source is here - solved the color problem with settings at compile time - view changelog for details - but as it adds to size I recompile xlib for the (few) apps that needs this addition - and most of the time live well without it.

Thanks. It's working nicely...urxvt is working, etc.
In fact, I'm typing this from links2 with the X driver, running under tinyxserver.
I'm using mwm for window manager at present.

I wanted to mention that I found cxref because I'd noticed a c??? command in POSIX that did something vaguely like what you wanted, so I looked in the POSIX manpages and found cxref, and then looked it up.
But when I'd just about finished typing it up, I hit the <- key by accident. With links, that means it's gone...
Page 51 of 58 [868 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, ..., 56, 57, 58 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: