pUPnGO - 6Mb ISO - Basic Building Block Puplet

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
goingnuts

#646 Post by goingnuts »

Need a small CD-player? Attached two different:
* cdtool-2.1.8 which also include tools for getting cddb output.
*dcd-0.99.2 - a more simple player.
Both need the hardware cabling from your CD/dvd-drive to your soundcard/motherboard being present...and remember to un-mute CD in audio mixer and turn up the volume as well...
Both might be handy back ends for a gtkdialog gui-frontend
Attachments
cdtool-2.1.8-i486.pet
static build CLI CD-player + other CD-utilities
(68.82 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
dcd-0.99.2-i486.pet
static build CLI CD-player
(19.2 KiB) Downloaded 452 times

goingnuts

#647 Post by goingnuts »

After making the gtkman for gktdialog1 I tried to run it in pupngo. But found that although man-bin is static build it wont work. Turns out that man depends on at least tbl and nroff which in turn depends on different auxiliary macro-files.
All that just to view a man page that is "readable" by command "cat"...
tbl is quite easy to build static but nroff did not turn out easy. They belong to GNU groff-package which I did not manage to do a normal build of. Another source is The Heirloom Documentation Tools - all c-code and state that build with diet libc can be done. I tried diet but my version is 0.31 and I think it needs at least version 0.32 of diet libc (needs wctomb). But I managed to hack my way to a final static build of tbl and nroff - just to realize that although working they seems not to work well with man-expectations - some demand of -mandoc that I was not able to fullfill.
Btw. busybox man also needs tbl and nroff/troff/groff (it needs gtbl which is a symlink to tbl).
Another solution here. awf is a man-page formatter based on awk-macros and it does a decent job!
A third solution is to use the man2html - which is a standalone app with no need for auxiliary progs - and then use sed to remove the HTML-tags. man2html is part of the original man page.
The forth solution is to use sed on the raw man-page as well (guess awk would work too).
So ended up with a draft for gtkman version 0.2 where at least the sed-only and the man2html method gives reasonable output in pupngo - but with a lot of room for improvement...Maybe a project target for some sed -or awk-sharks?
The present draft code below:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/ash
#simple demo for gtkdialog1 to view text formated man pages
#May 2012 goingnuts
#v0.1 needs original man - will not work with busybox man
#v0.2 liberate it from the man bin/use other ways...
#depending on the system one of the below will be used:
VIEW_ME=4	#simple sed - improve it please!

[ $(which awf) ] && VIEW_ME=3	#view http://awk.info/?tools/awf

[ $(which man2html) ] && VIEW_ME=2	#part of org man pkg

[ $(which man) ] && [ $(which tbl) ] && [ $(which nroff) ] && VIEW_ME=1 #for systems with all it takes for man to work

echo "Using methode $VIEW_ME" #just to know what is going on...

#hardcode mandirs...
MANDIRS="/usr/share/man /usr/man /usr/local/man"

echo > /tmp/gtkman

#create list of man-files present in system
COMBOLIST="<item>Select page to view</item>"
#v0.2
mandirs=$(find ${MANDIRS} -type f)

for file in $mandirs; do
	name=$(basename ${file})
	name=$(echo ${name%.*})	#for .gz
	name=$(echo ${name%.*})	#for .1
	COMBOLIST="$COMBOLIST<item>$name</item>"
done

#ash function file
echo '
view_me1 () {
	man -P cat ${1} 2> /dev/null | sed "s/.`echo -e\\\b`//g" | sed "s/.^H//g" | sed "s/.\x08//g" > /tmp/gtkman
}

macro_2 () {
	sed -e "s/<[^>]*>//g" | \
	sed -e "s/\</</g" | \
	sed -e "s/\&nbsp;/ /g" | \
	sed -e "s/\>/>/g" | \
	sed "/^$/d"
}

view_me2 () {
	if [ ! $1 = "Select" ]; then
		manfile2view=$(find /usr -name ${1}.1*)
		if [ $(echo ${manfile2view##*.}) = "gz" ]; then
			zcat $manfile2view | man2html | grep -v "Content-type: text/html" | macro_2 > /tmp/gtkman
		else 
			man2html $manfile2view | grep -v "Content-type: text/html" | macro_2 > /tmp/gtkman
		fi
	fi
}

view_me3 () {
			zcat $manfile2view | awf -man | sed "s/.`echo -e\\\b`//g" | sed "s/.^H//g" | sed "s/.\x08//g" > /tmp/gtkman
		else
			awf -man $manfile2view | sed "s/.`echo -e\\\b`//g" | sed "s/.^H//g" | sed "s/.\x08//g" > /tmp/gtkman
		fi
	fi
}

macro_4 () {
	sed "s/.B //g" | \
	sed "s/.I //g" | \
	sed "s/.TP//g" | \
	sed "s/.PP//g" | \
	sed "s/.LP//g" | \
	sed "s/.TH //g" | \
	sed "s/.SH //g" | \
	sed "s/.BR //g" | \
	sed "s/.RI //g" | \
	sed "s/.BI //g" | \
	sed "s/.RI \[\\\| \\\//g" | \
	sed "s/.I \\\//g" | \
	sed "s/.br/\n/g" | \
	sed "s/fI//g"	
}

view_me4 () {
			zcat $manfile2view | macro_4 > /tmp/gtkman
		else
			cat $manfile2view | macro_4 > /tmp/gtkman
		fi
	fi
}

' > /tmp/ashfunc

export MAIN_DIALOG='
<wtitle>gtkman</wtitle>
<vbox>
	<hbox>
		<button>
			<label>Quit</label>
			<input file>exit.png</input>
		</button>
	</hbox>
	<combobox>
		<variable>MAN_LIST</variable>
		'${COMBOLIST}'
		<action>view_me'${VIEW_ME}' ${MAN_LIST}</action>  
		<action>clear:EDIT</action>
		<action>refresh:EDIT</action>
	</combobox>
	<frame manpage view>
		<edit>
			<width>500</width>
			<height>300</height>
			<input file>/tmp/gtkman</input>
			<variable>EDIT</variable>
		</edit>
	</frame>
</vbox>
'

gtkdialog1 --center --wmclass gtkman --program=MAIN_DIALOG -i /tmp/ashfunc

#clean up
rm -f /tmp/gtkman
rm -f /tmp/ashfunc

technosaurus

#648 Post by technosaurus »

Nice, we have needed a decent manpage viewer for a while.

As per our previous discussion on reducing xpm images I finally got around to patching mtpaint to support saving xpm images with 92 colors per character vs 64. It makes for a bit nicer looking reduced images, and also bumps support for over 8000 colors vs. ~4000.

the patch is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 164#631164
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

PANZERKOPF

#649 Post by PANZERKOPF »

Another small tools for mentioned above purposes:
Rman - standalone man page converter (converts man to html or plain text)
asm-toys - multicall tool, includes simple cdplayer
asmutils - coreutils,util-linux, netutils, shell and some other tools including cda2raw
Attachments
asm-toys-0.2.1.tar.gz
(80.17 KiB) Downloaded 493 times
rman_3.2.tar.gz
(77.54 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
SUUM CUIQUE.

Ibidem

#650 Post by Ibidem »

Busybox had an nroff patch once which I dug up and updated...
I'll have to see if I can find it again :roll:

technosaurus

#651 Post by technosaurus »

I've been working with musl ind tinyx11 to see what I could build. It looks pretty promising so far. These are the uncompressed sizes:

jwm579 with xpm,png & jpg -448kb (earlier versions may be smaller?)
(Edit: jwm is only 274kb without png/jpg - only xpm)
desklaunch-104kb
rxvt-157kb
meh-270kb
9menu-94kb
mupdf-1182kb
wmix-138kb
calctool-124kb
pupslock-127kb

how does that compare with the uclibc toolchain?
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

goingnuts

#652 Post by goingnuts »

PANZERKOPF: Thank you - that are some nice findings! The cdplayer from asm-toys compile to less than 5k and have all functions to control and report status :D Wish assembler was easier to learn...as most assembler progs for linux I have seen are a factor 5-10 smaller than the normal...some examples
technosaurus: I havent tried newer jwm (tried 562 but could not compile it) so below jwm is the usual patched jwm-2.0.1-pe-beta-1:

Code: Select all

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  101596 2012-06-05 10:36 9menu*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  140052 2012-06-05 10:36 calctool*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  126960 2012-06-05 10:36 desklaunch*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  437644 2012-06-05 10:36 jwm*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  261600 2012-06-05 10:36 meh*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  136688 2012-06-05 10:36 pupslock*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  187532 2012-06-05 10:36 rxvt*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  180808 2012-06-05 10:36 wmix*
so your builds looks very promising! The size might depend on how much your tinyX is modified - above is build with a tinyX that I also use to build the gtk-apps with.

From amigos repo a file manager with drag&drop: uxplor.
It also work with older kernels where ROX and emelfm tends to fail.
Attachments
snap0003.png
(26.86 KiB) Downloaded 965 times

Ibidem

#653 Post by Ibidem »

I've dug up the nroff patch. Not bothering to attach the original, since it's hopelessly ancient...

And yes, it does have bad formatting.
Attachments
bb-nro.bz2
Busybox nroff patch updated for Busybox 1.18.4 (not tested with 1.2x)--BAD FORMATTING!
(1.19 KiB) Downloaded 442 times

PANZERKOPF

#654 Post by PANZERKOPF »

goingnuts wrote:PANZERKOPFas most assembler progs for linux I have seen are a factor 5-10 smaller than the normal
Not only for linux. Assembler progs are always faster and smaller than same written in other language but have one big disadvantage: they are not portable.
Also, If you like assembler, play with KolibriOS. Really cool :)
SUUM CUIQUE.

technosaurus

#655 Post by technosaurus »

PANZERKOPF wrote: Assembler progs are always faster and smaller than same written in other language.
assuming the coders are equally competent ...

So, I have been doing static compiles with my musl toolchain and I have gotten to some stuff that uses gdk-pixbuf-1.0.
@goingnuts - How did you grok the static compile of gtkdialog1 so that the gdkpixbuf stuff worked?

Edit: nevermind the configure script improperly set:
#define USE_GMODULE 1
... commented it out and works fine
Last edited by technosaurus on Fri 08 Jun 2012, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.

goingnuts

#656 Post by goingnuts »

Ibidem: Thanks for the patch - I try it out.
PANZERKOPF: Yea - its quite impressive - this Kolebri!
technosaurus; Ok - glad you made it! Have you plans to post your tool-chain/build-script/sources at some time?

technosaurus

#657 Post by technosaurus »

doing a static toolchain, you find a lot of bugs that go unseen otherwise... I am just trying to narrow down the issues to the appropriate place - usually it is autoconf
for gdk-pixbuf --disable-modules _should_ undef, not #define USE_GMODULE 1
(removed support for libtiff while I was at it - its just larger than it is useful)
I am trying to set up things as much as possible to allow people to use the toolchain without having to learn the intricacies of gcc ( I'm adding appropriate flags in a wrapper script - the included one has a couple of issues that require constant patching of makefiles ... sometimes libtool or autotools ignore CC=musl-gcc and CPP="musl-gcc -E" amongst other things and I figured I may as well hard code in all of the safe optimizations and necessary defines while I was at it)

I have also patched tinyX11 to some extent, but if you have your patched sources still, it would help (right now I have threads and NLS disabled and minimal utf8 in order to build - it seems that the sources from xfree86-4.8 work fine - just a lot of cut and paste)

I also got a cutdown freetype, openjpeg, jpeg, jbig2dec and z libs from mupdf (they have a nice build script for them) ... only read support so it worked well with gdkpixbuf and failed on mtpaint (so i built with only xpm and png) anyhow gtkdialog1 is working with jpeg support now.

goingnuts

#658 Post by goingnuts »

Sound really cool! I still have some gtk-apps that build fine dynamic and static but wont run in the static version (gtksee-0.6.0b-1) or run and fail at some point (chbg-1.4) that would be nice to have...
PM-ed link for dl of my current sources.

Ibidem

#659 Post by Ibidem »

technosaurus wrote:doing a static toolchain, you find a lot of bugs that go unseen otherwise... I am just trying to narrow down the issues to the appropriate place - usually it is autoconf
for gdk-pixbuf --disable-modules _should_ undef, not #define USE_GMODULE 1
(removed support for libtiff while I was at it - its just larger than it is useful)
I am trying to set up things as much as possible to allow people to use the toolchain without having to learn the intricacies of gcc ( I'm adding appropriate flags in a wrapper script - the included one has a couple of issues that require constant patching of makefiles ... sometimes libtool or autotools ignore CC=musl-gcc and CPP="musl-gcc -E" amongst other things and I figured I may as well hard code in all of the safe optimizations and necessary defines while I was at it)

I have also patched tinyX11 to some extent, but if you have your patched sources still, it would help (right now I have threads and NLS disabled and minimal utf8 in order to build - it seems that the sources from xfree86-4.8 work fine
If apps are trying g++, that's because they look for a C++ compiler.
The quickest stop to that business is CXX=false CC=musl-gcc ./configure
(and by the way, would CFLAGS=-UUSE_GMODULE help for gdk-pixbuf?)
Threads should be safe with musl--unless you use a kernel that needs linuxthreads (Linux 2.4.x)
Also, musl supports utf8 natively. This can enlarge binaries a little, but not much.
Also, what sort of issues are you having? musl-gcc currently (0.9.x) only changes the spec file for gcc, so it should be 99% compatible.

technosaurus

#660 Post by technosaurus »

Ibidem wrote:If apps are trying g++, that's because they look for a C++ compiler.
The quickest stop to that business is CXX=false CC=musl-gcc ./configure
(and by the way, would CFLAGS=-UUSE_GMODULE help for gdk-pixbuf?)
Threads should be safe with musl--unless you use a kernel that needs linuxthreads (Linux 2.4.x)
Also, musl supports utf8 natively. This can enlarge binaries a little, but not much.
Also, what sort of issues are you having? musl-gcc currently (0.9.x) only changes the spec file for gcc, so it should be 99% compatible.
CPP is the preprocessor (the thing that handles all of the macros/includes/etc...) - in a gcc tool chain usually this is just gcc -E, but in order to force it to look in my musl toolchain and not the standard directories I tell it to use my make shift wrapper built on the musl wrapper (just a script named gcc that calls gcc-real with appropriate defines and flags, yes I renamed gcc and called the wrapper gcc to save a helluvalotta editing) that prevents most of these broken scripts from doing the wrong thing. The issues aren't necessarily with musl, but I am having to add a few includes here and there or add -D_GNU_SOURCE or similar, but I am just going to add those to my wrapper script and maybe every once in a while add a symlink for a missing include like io.h (but most are kernel headers that just got missed or were overwritten by glibc)

After I have done a run through all of the useful C libraries on this toolchain without threads and locales, I will do a try with a native toolchain and try them out. (I just wanted to minimize my patching on the first run - its less overwhelming that way)

*question???
What is the best way to get a disk image onto a really low resource computer using minimal ram/cpu, but also not really long or complicated. I was thinking of piping an xz compressed tarball of a filesystem image through dd. However I am hesitant to do it that way due to the possibility of broken pipes (the plumbing is not always in good in these old beasts)

technosaurus

#661 Post by technosaurus »

here is a patch for mplayer - they seem to have broken the gtk1 gui a while back
Attachments
mplayer-gtk1-gui.patch.gz
(1.04 KiB) Downloaded 642 times

goingnuts

#662 Post by goingnuts »

Thanks for the patch. I am still not able to build a static mplayer - that is: I can build it but it only shows a 2 cm broad band with psychedelic colors in the top of my screen when playing...
There is gxine-0.2.1 as alternative - but I never managed to do a static xinelib that works.
Found a third way - a pre xine lib - but cant find my notes or remember the name. I think it was in one of the first puppys or maybe in a pre-puppy thing...
Would be nice to have a decent videoplayer....
Update: the name was xanim: http://xanim.polter.net/
Although it compiles I haven't been able to play anything with it...

goingnuts

#663 Post by goingnuts »

Found a small net traffic sniffer: dietsniff-0.4
Amazing to view what traffic goes behind the scene...
Attachments
snap0006.png
(15.87 KiB) Downloaded 1614 times
dietsniff-0.4-i486.pet
(14.21 KiB) Downloaded 600 times

Ibidem

#664 Post by Ibidem »

Ibidem wrote:I've dug up the nroff patch. Not bothering to attach the original, since it's hopelessly ancient...

And yes, it does have bad formatting.
Oops...it doesn't have nroff.c

It took a couple small changes to get it going with bb current (_BB_* ->BB_*, and usage is now in a comment within the applet).

If you need an older BB, the nroff.c here should still work.
Other than build fixes it's the same code.
Attachments
nroff.diff2.bz2
Properly prepared with diff -urN; updated for BB HEAD.
(14.91 KiB) Downloaded 574 times

technosaurus

#665 Post by technosaurus »

goingnuts wrote:Thanks for the patch. I am still not able to build a static mplayer - that is: I can build it but it only shows a 2 cm broad band with psychedelic colors in the top of my screen when playing...
There is gxine-0.2.1 as alternative - but I never managed to do a static xinelib that works.
Found a third way - a pre xine lib - but cant find my notes or remember the name. I think it was in one of the first puppys or maybe in a pre-puppy thing...
Would be nice to have a decent videoplayer....
Update: the name was xanim: http://xanim.polter.net/
Although it compiles I haven't been able to play anything with it...
sorry about that, the build takes a long time on my box and my cutdown static libraries were missing some encoding type symbols (it saves quite a bit to disable things like image output & compression and only read/decompress... but that was really leftovers from an experimentation to find out if it would be feasible to use a small shared lib for read/decode and static for write/encoding). I also found that there is not a large difference between tinyx11 and current if you simply remove the larger locales (just put a full version in a separate NLS pack.)
I'll take a look at gxine to see how hard it would be to patch a recent build, but iirc xanim supported few formats.