pUPnGO - 6Mb ISO - Basic Building Block Puplet

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
goingnuts

#391 Post by goingnuts »

New build based on kernel 2.6.18.1 from Puppy 216.
Attachments
pUPnGO_V216_060611.png
(47.47 KiB) Downloaded 567 times

wuxiandianzi

sorry

#392 Post by wuxiandianzi »

I am sorry!
this iso can not to be downloaded from page"http://www.datafilehost.com/download-5bbbcba9.html" .
when I click "download" it display http://www.datafilehost.com/download-5bbbcba9.html again without anything.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

goingnuts

#393 Post by goingnuts »

wuxiandianzi: Sorry for the trouble - have made the download link more obvious. The url you refer to is correct...maybe a browser issue/disabled javascript?
Or try entering the full url to your browser: http://www.datafilehost.com/get.php?file=5bbbcba9

wuxiandianzi

thank you

#394 Post by wuxiandianzi »

goingnuts wrote:wuxiandianzi: Sorry for the trouble - have made the download link more obvious. The url you refer to is correct...maybe a browser issue/disabled javascript?
Or try entering the full url to your browser: http://www.datafilehost.com/get.php?file=5bbbcba9
Thank you goingnuts :
I tried SeaMonkey 1.1.18/firefox-4.2/IE6/IE8 browsers still failed.
wget URL would be great,or can you send it to my email ?
Thank you!

goingnuts

#395 Post by goingnuts »

In the other end of kernels a build with kernel from snowpuppy-016 (2.6.35.7) uploaded.
Haven't followed version numbering so just took version reported by snowpuppy. Content in pup_016pupngo.sfs and GUI_016.sfs is exactly the same as in version pUPnGO V216 060611 - but squasfs-version is 4 where pUPnGO V216 060611 uses 3.0.

Sizes:
Kernel 2270K
initrd.gz 2875K
pup_016pupngo.sfs 3204K
GUI_016.sfs 2160K
zdrv_016.sfs 22M

If you test this or the pUPnGO V216 060611 version - report bugs/success so it can be fixed/not altered for future builds with various kernels - please.

Keef

#396 Post by Keef »

I've tried both, with mixed results:
The 216 version boots fine, but there is either a problem with modprobe or the ndiswrapper module it is trying to load - terminal hangs on running 'modprobe ndiswrapper'. Also hangs running insmod ndiswrapper, but it (ndiswrapper) does then show up after running lsmod. The driver isn't working though. Modprobe keeps on running and just won't die....

Couldn't mount the iso for the newer kernel at first, but found it was because there were spaces in the name!
Did a manual frugal install, and it booted ok and got to the login prompt. After a few seconds it produced:

Code: Select all

NMI received for unknown reason at a1 on cpu0.
You have had some hardware problem, likely on the PCI bus 
It seems this message may have something to do with the memory, but I have not had any problems (at least nothing has complained before, anyway...)

Compaq Armada M700 PIII 450, 320mb ram.

goingnuts

#397 Post by goingnuts »

Hi Keef
Thank you for testing and reporting :). I can reproduce the ndiswrapper problem and org P216 do not have the problem. I will try to solve it.

The "NMI received for unknown reason at a1 on cpu0. " I haven't seen - will look into that as well.

And I will avoid the spaces in the name of the iso :oops:

Update 090611: New build of pUPnGO_V016_090611.iso now with correct packed firmware as tar.gz. Do not know if this solves Keefs "NMI received for unknown reason at a1 on cpu0"...

Could also be a udevd-rule problem...
The pUPnGO V016 070611.iso has been deleted.

goingnuts

#398 Post by goingnuts »

Might have found reason (or solution) to modprobe freeze when trying to load ndiswrapper. Seems that in P216 /sbin/loadndisdriver is needed. At least the freeze stops when added and lsmod reports module loaded - guess for ndiswrapper to actually work one needs to add perl and other stuff as well...
Attached a static build of loadndisdriver.
Attachments
loadndiswrapper_static.tar.gz
static build of loadndisdriver
(16.56 KiB) Downloaded 363 times

goingnuts

static mplayer

#399 Post by goingnuts »

Found this static build of mplayer - only tested avi and mp3:
http://robur.slu.se/diet/bin-i386/mplayer
1900K upxed/5500K unpacked.

goingnuts

desklaunch - hacked

#400 Post by goingnuts »

Hacked desklaunch, 11K installed, uses 2500K running...
Fixed crash when trying to drag icon with mouse (use alt+mouse to drag - new position will be saved).
Added mid and right mouse user defined command possibility.
Added user defined application name (if you want more than one instance running).
Added user defined update of all icons after execution of command (not very useful yet).
Fixed jwm showing all icons in task bar and X crashing when mouse-over(by adding window name and hints)
Changed font to "fixed".
Added help text when run with -h.
Update 300611: removed attachments for updates on this subject view
http://www.goingnuts.dk/programs.asp#NDL
Last edited by goingnuts on Thu 30 Jun 2011, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

Keef

ndiswrapper

#401 Post by Keef »

I've looked a bit more closely at how I get wifi and ndiswrapper running under PupNgo (probably applies to other older pre- network-wizard puplets).
This is on the 216 version.
The best bit is that Perl and the ndiswrapper script are not needed.
I just make a directory in etc/ called 'ndiswrapper'
Copy the folder containing the windoze drivers - in my case 'netwg11t', into 'ndiswrapper'
I copy over an exisiting 'wpa_supplicant.conf' to etc/ but this could be edited manually of course.
Create another directory in etc/ called 'dhcpc'
dhcpcd was needed - copied it from the full 412, and it requires librt.so.1
loadndiswrapper is needed - the static one you made did not work for me so used a 'normal' one that is only 15k anyway.

Run this script:

#!/bin/sh
## modify this script to include your wifi interface name (instead of "ath0")
## and wifi driver type (instead of "madwifi").
# Orginal script was provided by Tempestuous and modified by JustGreg for
# his network use.  Modified 12 May 2008 for testing of Dingo kernel 2.6.25

modprobe ndiswrapper
echo " Loading ndiswrapper module"

echo "Configuring Wireless LAN with wpa_supplicant"
## bring up the wireless interface, unconfigured
echo
echo "Starting up wlan0"
ifconfig wlan0 up
echo " "
echo "Now starting wpa_supplicant"
## first remove stale wpa_supplicant file if it exists
 if [ -e /var/run/wpa_supplicant/* ]; then rm /var/run/wpa_supplicant/*; fi
 wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -D wext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
# sleep 60 used for testing.  For normal use, sleep 60 can be reduced
sleep 15
echo " "
# wp_cli is for testing.  However, it does show that wpa connect for 
#normal use.  
wpa_cli status
echo " "
echo "Running dhcpcd address service"
## for automatic IP
## first remove stale existings dhcpcd files if exists
# for puppy 2.17 use if [ -e /var/run/*.pid ]; then rm /var/run/*.pid; fi
# for puppy 3.00. Kill any active dhcpcd processes
dhcpcd -k wlan0
if [ -e /var/run/*.pid ]; then rm /var/run/*.pid; fi
rm /var/run/dhcpcd-*.*
dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc -d wlan0
sleep 5
## or for static IP
## modify /etc/resolv.conf to include your nameservers
#ifconfig ath0 192.168.0.xx broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
#route add default gw 192.168.0.1 ath0   # or whatever your router's IP is
Dug this out from the forum and adjusted to suit. I was having trouble previously (on the 412 version) until I discovered it was the 'sleep' after wpa_supplicant that was too short.

This script is to shut it down and tidy up:

#!/bin/sh
#Just Greg script to terminate wifi processes 12 May 2008
# change wlan0 to your network interface name
dhcpcd -k wlan0
wpa_cli terminate
ifconfig wlan0 down
Still no joy with the '016' version, by the way...

goingnuts

#402 Post by goingnuts »

Keef: Excellent! Thanks for sharing your findings! I don't know why static loadndiswrapper did not work though...but seems that the other components do (wpa_supplicant, iwconfig and friends). My own wireless.sh script is only working every second time or so and I only can test it with WPA2. Would be cool to have a descent cli-based network-wizard...

Sorry you have no joy with the '016' version - my best guess is that one might have to modify the udev-rules - I took the main part of them from Lupo525 and they seems to work in P412 and P216 as well. I cant reproduce your error but I had to delete the drm/drm_kms_helper.ko to avoid black screen after boot (NVIDIA-cards - small report included in /etc/pupngo_udev_readme).

goingnuts

#403 Post by goingnuts »

I have been working on further modifying desklaunch. Now have the 3 mouse buttons defined in desklaunchrc, auto update image if icon change (works for symlinks too - useful for drive icons), user setting of font, fontcolour, colour of tooltip background (including transparent), removed Numlock bug, optimized main loop for lower cpu-usage, built in default image if image not found, removed the need for group settings in jwm and auto-adjust icon position depending on screen resolution . All in 15K.
But I have not been able to prevent jwm from showing all the icon windows in pager.
If anyone have a hint to solve this please give it away.
Update 280611: haven't solved it - seems that jwm only respect
"attr.override_redirect = 1" but that puts icons on top of all. He should respect "WMHints initial_state = 3 (IconicState)" but I haven't been able to tell him to...
The attached patch to jwm solves the problem by not adding sticky windows to pager - really cant see why they should be there in the first place.
Update 300611: For updates on this subject view
http://www.goingnuts.dk/programs.asp#NDL
Attachments
patch.tar.gz
patch to jwm that remove sticky windows from pager
used source jwm-2.0.1-pe-beta-1
(377 Bytes) Downloaded 352 times

technosaurus

#404 Post by technosaurus »

I take it the nolist group tag wouldnt fix it either then?

also while I am here, it looks like quite a few people are interested in gtk1 so I will post the "hidden" link to the old gtk1 standalone flash player (gflashplayer) which uses less than 9mb of RAM (depending on the size of the swf)

get gflashplayer

it needs a symlink for:
/usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
to your existing libstdc++

One can theoretically play flash games on systems with <32mb of ram (surprisingly most swf games that I tried did work ... better to use other programs for flv anyways)

Edit:
using the Xvesa/jwm command to start X can sometimes fail because jwm tries to start before the X server is established.
This is easily fixed with sleep but to get the sleep value large enough for older PCs, it causes undue delay for others.
I recalled a program in tinycore that was called waitforx, but couldn't find any source code and wasn't 100% sure what it did, so I just wrote my own that just keeps trying to connect to a display and returns as soon as it does (so that a wm wont fail to open a display and quit)

#include <X11/X.h>
int main(int argc, char *argv) {
int i=0;
for (i; i < 4095; i++) {
	if (XOpenDisplay(0)) return(1);}
return(0);
}
This works with either Xvesa or other Xservers (Xfbdev, Xorg...)

Ex.

X & waitforx && jwm -display :0; killall X
where the initial "X" could be:
Xvesa -br -kb -nozap -screen 640x480x16 -shadow -mouse /dev/mouse -nolisten tcp -tst -I
or simply
Xorg
The && after waitforx prevents the wm from trying to start if the Xserver fails, while the killall X keeps the Xserver from staying open if the wm quits (this part could be modified if you wish to change window managers on the fly)
Attachments
waitforx.gz
compiled in wary, you will need to make it executable and put in /usr/bin to use it
(1.31 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

goingnuts

#405 Post by goingnuts »

technosaurus wrote:I take it the nolist group tag wouldnt fix it either then?
I use jwm-2.0.1-pe-beta-1 with patches - and the nolist seems only to effect the task-list and not the pager. Couldn't find any flags to prevent jwm to show sticky windows in pager(s)...
technosaurus wrote: using the Xvesa/jwm command to start X can sometimes fail because jwm tries to start before the X server is established.
Can it also fail if you use xinit to launch jwm via .xinitrc (ex: xinit /root/.xinitrc -- -screen 800x600x256)? Just curious...

technosaurus

#406 Post by technosaurus »

No, init has similar code, but I made a small static version that doesn't need Xlib at all.(getenv DISPLAY instead)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

goingnuts

#407 Post by goingnuts »

Cool! Any chance to have it replace xinit? Taking args as xinit I mean? Then one could symlink waitfordisplay to xinit without changing any other code/scripts....
Edit: Might just use a script like below (not tested):

#!/bin/ash
XINITRC="$1"
COMMAND="X $(echo $@ | cut -d " " -f3-)"
"$COMMAND" &
waitfordisplay
exec "$XINITRC"
replacing the xinit in command:
xinit /root/.xinitrc -- -screen ${VIDEOMODE} -shadow -mouse /dev/${MOUSEDEVICE},5

technosaurus

#408 Post by technosaurus »

I wrote a little C proggie to quick autostart X, but I set it to be able to change the window manager instead. If you fixed the wm to jwm, you could use the argv for the X server.
EGGSACK is the shell equivalent of command &
EGGSACKWAIT is similar to command && ...
SHIFT is similar to shift in shell, but requires an integer arg for # of shifts

/* Notes
 * no need for getenv/setenv PATH because execvp will automatically try /bin:/usr/bin
 * this program will run Xvesa with jwm if no arguments are passed, but
 * it requires Xvesa, waitfordisplay and jwm to exist in /bin:/usr/bin
 * usage: quickX [wm <arg for display :0>]
 * Copyright 2011 Brad Conroy
 * License: GPL2
 */
#include <unistd.h>
#define EGGSACKWAIT(a) ({int s,p;if((p=fork())==0){execvp(a[0],a);}else{while(wait(&s)!= p);}})
#define SHIFT(i,a) ({ int j=0;while(a[j] != NULL){a[j]=a[j+i];j++;}})
#define EGGSACK(a)	({if((fork())==0) execvp(a[0],a);})
int main(int argc, char** argv) {

char* X[99];
X[0]="Xvesa";
X[1]="-screen";
X[2]="1024x768x24";
X[3]="-nolisten";
X[4]="tcp";
X[5]=NULL;
EGGSACK(X);

char* wd[99];
wd[0]="waitfordisplay";
wd[1]=NULL;
EGGSACKWAIT(wd);

char* wm[99];
wm[0]="jwm";
wm[1]="-display";
wm[2]=":0";
wm[3]=NULL;
if(argc>1){
	SHIFT(1,argv);
	EGGSACKWAIT(argv);
}else{
	EGGSACKWAIT(wm);
}

char* kX[99];
kX[0]="killall";
kX[1]="Xvesa";
kX[2]=NULL;
EGGSACKWAIT(kX);

}
Edit:
here is a minimal mimic of xinit ... also cleaned up some unnecessary variable declarations
just add another "EGGSACK" for any scripts you want to run _while_ X is starting after the X eggsack ... or after the waitfordisplay eggsack if the server needs to be running
if you need programs to run sequentially use EGGSACKWAIT

#include <unistd.h>
//these could be functions but gcc complains less this way 
#define EGGSACKWAIT(a) ({int s,p;if((p=fork())==0){execvp(a[0],a);}else{while(wait(&s)!= p);}})
#define SHIFT(i,a) ({ int j=0;while(a[j] != NULL){a[j]=a[j+i];j++;}})
#define EGGSACK(a)	({if((fork())==0) execvp(a[0],a);})
int main(int argc, char** argv) {

char* X[99];
if (argc>1) {
	argv[0]="Xvesa"; //could be X if using a symlink ... compat w/ xvfb, xvesa...
	EGGSACK(argv);
}else{
	X[0]="X";
	X[1]=NULL;
	EGGSACK(X);
}
//script? [0]="/root/.xinitrc" ...really getenv("HOME") instead of root

//could add the waitfordisplay code directly but only uclibc is compliant
//so currently forcing it to be separate till I get rid of the GNUisance
//tinycore's waitforX works but makes a large static bin due to Xlibs
X[0]="waitfordisplay";
X[1]=NULL;
EGGSACKWAIT(X);

X[0]="jwm";
X[1]="-display";
X[2]=":0";
X[3]=NULL;
EGGSACKWAIT(X);

X[0]="killall";
if (argc>1) {
	X[1]="Xvesa";
}else{
	X[1]="X";
}
//may want to add any programs that hold on to X server here
X[2]=NULL;
EGGSACK(X);

}
Attachments
jwmfaststart.tar.gz
here is a tarball with waitfordisplay and x
just running x will run Xorg
x &lt;parameters&gt; will run Xvesa with those parameters
(3.66 KiB) Downloaded 275 times

01micko

#409 Post by 01micko »

Hi goingnuts

I tried pUPnGO_V216_060611.iso on my old 486. It's an IBM 80486DX50 with 16M RAM, 80M swap. Previously it had 32M but some of it was dodgy and had to be removed. Installed on the HDD is big_bass fat-free_dillo-216 as a full install but that is failing to get to X, it used to when it had 32M RAM. It used to run quite successfully, on the net, playing mp3s, CDs, basic browsing with elinks.

Now what I want to do with it is just that, but I don't need X. I can do all the things I want in console. Running live would be a bonus.

I thought I'd try your pUPnGO_V216_060611 variant because it uses the same kernel with which I had success and has a very small footprint.

I booted with Pakt's wakepup-2 floppy and had no issue with initialising boot. However, once I got to the 'depmod' part the machine just hangs there, keyboard is still responsive so it hasn't crashed. I let it go 20 odd minutes, no response. I tried different log levels with no clues, sorry. The machine still successfully boots fat-free_dillo to RAM, no X (the HDD was thrashing like a frenzied shark when trying to start X, almost got there though).

Any ideas?

TIA

EDIT:
Thoughts that occurred to me
  • I don't recall that swap was being detected and loaded, at least up until the 'depmod' stage anyway, I'll poke around in init (fat-free did detect and load swap)
    The zdrv wasn't loading due to RAM constraint? Maybe I'll do an lsmod in fat-free and cut the zdrv
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

goingnuts

#410 Post by goingnuts »

technosaurus: Thanks for the scripts - I will test them asap!
01micko: Thank you for testing! I have no 486 machine so I can only test in qemu. No problem booting with 20Mb ram there (usually 20Mb ram in qemu is reported as 16Mb inside the running OS...). Going down to 16Mb (should then equal 12Mb on real hardware) it seems to have the problem you describe - hanging at depmod for ages. The version you are testing have to create the driver files (modules.dep and friends) at first boot and it might be that 16Mb ram then is at a limit.
I did a test to see if a swap partition is picked up: It is - but after depmod.
Maybe try booting without zdrv included - create a save file + swap - and reboot with zdrv?
Or inject a modules.dep from 216 to the pup_216pupngo.sfs before booting?