Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 23 Aug 2014, 15:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
pUPnGO - 6Mb ISO - Basic Building Block Puplet
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 22 of 58 [868 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, ..., 56, 57, 58 Next
goingnuts

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 05:04    Post subject:    

Getting closer to wireless in pupngo although not quite there yet. Managed to compile iwconfig, iwlist and wpa_supplicant static. Created a script that succesfully connect my zd1211 usb wireless interface to WPA and WPA_PSK wireless in org. P412.
In pupngo drivers load but was unable to do a ifconfig wlan0 up. Response was the cryptic "SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device"
Solution was to manually install zd1211 firmware archive from /lib/modules/all-firmware.
Anyone know which part of Puppy is responsible for installing the firmware-packets? Is it udevd, kernel or something else? Question

Next problem now is that iwlist do not report found network types correctly in pupngo - and that breaks my connect-script - as the reported types are:
"(unknow Wireless Token 0x8C05)"
Strange the iwlist works in org. P412 but not in pupngo...

Last edited by goingnuts on Wed 23 Feb 2011, 11:54; edited 1 time in total
Keef

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 09:09    Post subject:  

I've managed to get wifi working ok, using ndiswrapper too. Bit crude really, just copied over everything I thought I needed over from standard 412 and made an sfs out of it all. Used Tiny-Perl for the ndiswrapper setup, but this could be taken out and installed as a pet, then removed afterwards.
Start it up with a script based on the info in the "How to configure wifi from the commandline" thread. WPA has tended to be a bit hit and miss with the 4 series I've found, sometimes it works for a while, then decides not too. Had to sort out a few dependencies, but most I think, were in the glibc sfs. Can't remember exactly (not on Puppy at the mo') but might have had to use the iwconfig from org 412 - will check later.
nooby

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 10:23    Post subject:  

Don't get me wrong now. I am a bit nitpicking but I would actually prefer that you told in the first post of the thread which TCL you have there. Now it says this very general thing:

Quote:
080211: Special build with TC as GUI.

But is that the old 2.6 something I don't remember which version it was but it was not one of the later version when I tried to use it some week ago.

Have you updated the TCL now to the latest then or what?

technosaurus

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 11:32    Post subject:  

goingnuts wrote:
Getting closer to wireless in pupngo although not quite there yet. Managed to compile iwconfig, iwlist and wpa_supplicant static. Created a script that succesfully connect my zd1211 usb wireless interface to WPA and WPA_PSK wireless in org. P412.
In pupngo drivers load but was unable to do a ifconfig wlan0 up. Response was the cryptic "SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory"
Solution was to manually install zd1211 firmware archive from /lib/modules/all-firmware.
Anyone know which part of Puppy is responsible for installing the firmware-packets? Is it udevd, kernel or something else? Question

Next problem now is that iwlist do not report found network types correctly in pupngo - and that breaks my connect-script - as the reported types are "unknow". Strange the iwlist works in org. P412 but not in pupngo...
if you still have your wireless tools package, there is a multicall binary build (like busybox) that will save some space (however this will also make it an easy port to busybox next time I have an hour or so and a decent internet connection) The wireless tools source is pretty easy to follow IIRC, so it shouldn't be too hard to track down the source of "unknown"... maybe even make some shell parsability improvements to the output.

modutils (modprobe, insmod ...) does the firmware loading from info built in to the kernel module itself (I think there is a way to override using a config file in /etc/???) - I don't have the sources available but you can check your busybox source code to see where modutils* is looking for the firmware and config file (there have been many improvements to the various modutils as of late, so it may be a bug that was fixed - I seem to recall seeing something along those lines fly across the mail list)... of course that assumes you have the firmware, you can get a lot of "blobs" from woof or from other distros if necessary

goingnuts

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 12:11    Post subject:  

Keef: Thanks - good to know its possible. Maybe I am making it more difficult for myself to insist on having pupngo being all static...But I will try your path testing the original iwconfig and iwlist.

nooby: Description updated and the "no support" and "no upgrades" stated as well. Wink

technosaurus: Thanks - your ref. to arch-linux cli wireless got me further in my CLI-wireless script...
As for BB modifications I am a little reluctant to go that path right now - might be to heavy stuff Smile I did try to use org. modprobe but did no difference...
The output from static iwlist scan is:
"(unknow Wireless Token 0x8C05)"

comming 2 times, in the place where it should state:

"IE: WPA Version 1
Group Cipher : TKIP
Pairwise Ciphers (2) : TKIP CCMP
Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
Group Cipher : TKIP
Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
Preauthentication Supported"

So its the translation part of the code in iwlist.c that does not get handled well - or the info iwlist gets from the device...
Well - I´ll keep trying as it must be possible.
nooby

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 13:21    Post subject:  

Quote:
080211: Special build with TC as GUI. TC version in squashfile is tinycore_2.11.6.

NOTE: This is NOT a new puplet - no updates, no help or troubleshooting - its just a demo of pUPnGOs possibilities.

Thanks that was what I needed to feel totally satisfied. Smile

I knew it was a 6 six somewhere in there but it was version 2.11.6 and not TCL 2.6 while I want TCL 3.4.6 something modern.

I accept it is there as a proof of concept only. Thanks for all the help you gave me through PM. Much appreciated. I actually once did get it going and out on the internet too but then I got too adventure and messed it all up.

But it is there on the HD when my courage return.

technosaurus

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 20:52    Post subject:  

Update: firmware is also controlled by /etc/modules/firmware.dep*
Some things may need /etc/modules.conf (conexant modems)
There are various additional conf files in /etc/modprobe.d/* and /etc/rc.d/* that get loaded by /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit (Barry's version has a lot of work arounds for the small busybox modutils that could be removed if using the full busybox modutils)

Wireless links that I have in my notes:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html
Your error comes from print_scanning_token in iwlist.c if you want to debug ... printf the vars at the end of the function (line608 in v29)

taca0

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb 2011, 14:28    Post subject:  

goingnuts:

I like a lot the last version that works on my AMD K6 , the net card works and its fast for only 32mb ram and 256mb of SD HD.

I like links but I can post on forums , I can login but not post and also dont logout.

What others programs works with this new version??

I am trying to find other light browser but with graphics??

I still dont know if audio its active or if its automatic detected and configure??

Thanks!
technosaurus

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb 2011, 15:27    Post subject:  

taca0 wrote:
I am trying to find other light browser but with graphics??
This was discussed earlier in the thread: dillo-gtk1, hv3 and opera-9.27-static-qt3 (the only 1 in the list that will support the flash plugin) were the main contenders IIRC
(lamarelle.org has a browser only seamonkey-1.1.19-gtk1 that works with flash7 ... I developed a hack that lets v7 work on many flash10 sites)

to test audio you can use cat on a .wav or .au file
cat *.wav >/dev/dsp
or
cat *.au >/dev/audio
(how is that for a lightweight media player)

taca0

PostPosted: Fri 25 Feb 2011, 00:55    Post subject:  

technosaurus:

The problem its that I can not install on pUPnGO_V412_060211 any other browser (only the links text browser) . Gives installing errors or for example the dillo gives error DNS... Some ones have lib dependency errors.

How I could solve that??
goingnuts

PostPosted: Fri 25 Feb 2011, 02:41    Post subject:  

taca0:
Even though the dillo is a static build you need some other libs as well. Here is a pet of a dynamic build with all needed deps that should work although you might get problems with only 32Mb ram.
If you have pci sound card it is normally recognized by kernel - I have not succeeded to get ISA-cards running yet.
And thanks for testing and reporting!
goingnuts

PostPosted: Sat 26 Feb 2011, 04:11    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
Update: firmware is also controlled by /etc/modules/firmware.dep*
Some things may need /etc/modules.conf (conexant modems)
There are various additional conf files in /etc/modprobe.d/* and /etc/rc.d/* that get loaded by /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit (Barry's version has a lot of work arounds for the small busybox modutils that could be removed if using the full busybox modutils)

Thanks! The original modprobe is needed - has to be able to take a conf-file. Firmware is loaded via pup_event_backend_firmware and pup_event_backend_modprobe triggered by udevd following rules in /etc/udev/rules 50-udev-puppy-basic.rules. Also version of udevd matters...
For wireless connect-script I had to change back from iwlist to wpa_cli to get the right encryption type in static builds.
Posting this through pupngo - dillo - wireless wpa2 - usb-wireless adaptor needing firmware-drivers Smile
technosaurus

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar 2011, 01:01    Post subject:  

So I am without internet on my puppy box right now, which kinda sux, but it has allowed me to play with the internals a bit without so much distraction. Learned the powers of substring manipulation and some other script stuff and in the process rediscovered an unrelated idea for a better boot to desktop method.

Here is the jist of it:
Spawn xvesa and jwm early in init (with necessary files in the initial ramdisk)
Use trays to update the boot status using rxvt -e jwm -restart at each stage.

goingnuts

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar 2011, 17:03    Post subject:  

technosaurus: Extremely interesting! Do you do a "switch root" in the boot process and maintain GUI? The "trouble" with rxvt starting very early in the boot process - do you know if st has same behavior?

Living without internet for a longer time is annoying!
technosaurus

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar 2011, 18:19    Post subject:  

goingnuts wrote:
technosaurus: Extremely interesting! Do you do a "switch root" in the boot process and maintain GUI? The "trouble" with rxvt starting very early in the boot process - do you know if st has same behavior?

Living without internet for a longer time is annoying!
I removed the switchroot and put the minimal pupngo into the initrd, then started cutting down. Eventually I made a giant leap and started with a blank init script... adding only necessary items as I went. I only tried aterm and rxvt. I had hope that an xcb based terminal emulator that was in the works would come to fruition though a port of st to xcb+xcb utils would be great. Mounting dev and proc and starting mdevd -s didn't work and I am unfamiliar with getty and the various scripts in etc/ that run after init. I need to get a working qemu so I can do these kinds of things without constantly rebooting.

BTW I compiled an x11 only mrxvt with tab support and patched it to number the tabs instead of just calling them Terminal by default ... also added functions to bashbox to modify the tab and window titles (useful for updating status in scripts) ...and did one for rxvt window title too, which for some reason does the tab title in mrxvt. Mrxvt uses a bit more resources, but multiple tabs saves it right back by not needing multiple instances.

Page 22 of 58 [868 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, ..., 56, 57, 58 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: