Puppy On Laptops

Using applications, configuring, problems
CatDude

#91 Post by CatDude »

Hello yangmusa
yangmusa wrote: SORRY the links are a mess - this forum software is "delightfully janky" and it doesn't work although I'm following the syntax of their example :oops:
You just need to make one change to each of the links in your previous post.

Change the ] just in front of http for a =

So that these:

http://semprotech.com/t70dj10.html]the link
http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/16/tnx- ... m Engadget

become these:

the link
this review from Engadget

If you click on the Quote button on this post, you will see what i mean.

Hope this helps
CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Aitch

#92 Post by Aitch »

:oops: my bad, sorry about that, I found a different link, with arm in it, but can't find it again

The Aspire is here for just under £160 about $240, so a bit dearer than yours, but a good bit more powerful, with a 1.6ghz as to a 400mhz processor, methinks - without taking ION into consideration
Worth the extra $50?

http://www.compare.ie/83-computers/1242 ... -linux.htm

Aitch :)

SilvioTOO

#93 Post by SilvioTOO »

I use Puppy with satisfaction on this old hardware:

Fujitsu Liteline
AMD 500 mhz
RAM 64 mb
Internal HD 4 GB
External usb disk 80 GB

Software:

Puppy 4.3.1
MLDonkey 3.0.1

Clic here for some images

Hi all! :D

sullysat

#94 Post by sullysat »

SilvioTOO wrote:I use Puppy with satisfaction on this old hardware:

Fujitsu Liteline
AMD 500 mhz
RAM 64 mb
Internal HD 4 GB
External usb disk 80 GB

Software:

Puppy 4.3.1
MLDonkey 3.0.1

Clic here for some images

Hi all! :D
Awesome Silvio! How difficult was it to get 4.3.1 loaded with only 64MB of RAM? I've got some low spec machines that I'm using older versions of Puppy with, but this is encouraging, especially if it responds well for you.

Sully
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

r__hughes

#95 Post by r__hughes »

I use grub-booted frugal Puppy431(2.6.30.5) on a DELL Latitude D610 Laptop with 512Mb RAM & (nominal)40G harddrive.which came with 1 bootable ntfs partition with WinXP Home installed.

I repartitioned it as shown below & made it grub-bootable from mbr for a frugal pup431 installation on the sda3 ext2 partition:-

sda1 15G ntfs bootable with WinXP
sda2 16G fat32 for misc files available to Puppy & WinXP
sda3 5.3G ext2 for frugal pup430
sda4 612M Linux-swap

The built-in wifi works out-of-the-box using the connect-wizard. It also has an ethernet port and 1 PCMCIA slot.

It has no built-in microphone or web-cam - but a $3 plug-in mike and a $25 microsoft VX-700 Lifecam do the trick for Skype and mhWaveEdit (using Alsamixer to give microphone capture & boost).

It has 4 USB2 connectors and I can boot off USB-flash drives and use USB2 ext harddrives & ext DVD/CD R/W (useful because the built-in optical drive is a CDRW/DVDR - no DVDW)
Attachments
Dell_Lat_D610.jpg
How I partitioned the drive
(45.05 KiB) Downloaded 1476 times
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

pbittle

Dell Latitute D630

#96 Post by pbittle »

I know this thread is fairly old, but I just thought I'd throw my two cents in. I've got a Dell Latitude D-630 with 2GB RAM and a 100GB HDD running Windows XP SP3 and VMware Workstation 6.5.3. I'm using Puppy in the VM.

I loaded Puppy as a HD install. I allocated 256MB RAM and 1GB HDD for the Puppy install. It runs like a champ! I've had no problems with compatibility within VMware. I haven't tried it on this laptop as a standalone, i.e. accessing the hardware directly, such as wireless, display adapter, etc. However, based on my tests with other machines and the Puppy Live CD, I would suppose that it'll just run.

OT --I'm seriously considering using Puppy for a number of our factory PCs that are older. The one rub is that I need a TN5250 emulator to work. I downloaded Mochasoft's emulator for Linux. It says I need the GTK and GDK 1.2 Libraries. I'm having trouble figuring out how to get that working within Puppy. Any ideas would be appreciated.

If I need to start another thread or there is one already, please let me know. I'm new to the Puppy community, so please bear with me.

Thanks,
Peter

tubeguy

Re: Dell Latitute D630

#97 Post by tubeguy »

pbittle wrote:I know this thread is fairly old, but I just thought I'd throw my two cents in. I've got a Dell Latitude D-630 with 2GB RAM and a 100GB HDD running Windows XP SP3 and VMware Workstation 6.5.3. I'm using Puppy in the VM.

I loaded Puppy as a HD install. I allocated 256MB RAM and 1GB HDD for the Puppy install. It runs like a champ! I've had no problems with compatibility within VMware. I haven't tried it on this laptop as a standalone, i.e. accessing the hardware directly, such as wireless, display adapter, etc. However, based on my tests with other machines and the Puppy Live CD, I would suppose that it'll just run.

OT --I'm seriously considering using Puppy for a number of our factory PCs that are older. The one rub is that I need a TN5250 emulator to work. I downloaded Mochasoft's emulator for Linux. It says I need the GTK and GDK 1.2 Libraries. I'm having trouble figuring out how to get that working within Puppy. Any ideas would be appreciated.

If I need to start another thread or there is one already, please let me know. I'm new to the Puppy community, so please bear with me.

Thanks,
Peter
Welcome aboard!

Can't help you myself, but you might want to repost this in the "Users" forum at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=3
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

SilvioTOO

#98 Post by SilvioTOO »

Awesome Silvio! How difficult was it to get 4.3.1 loaded with only 64MB of RAM? I've got some low spec machines that I'm using older versions of Puppy with, but this is encouraging, especially if it responds well for you.
:P I tell you that Puppy, on this poor machine, run quite well. The only great limit is the ram: at system loaded and MLDonkey running, only 2488 kb of memory remain free :(

However, for curiosity, I tryed to used it for surf pages, email, chat and write with Abiword, and the experience is not frustrating (in my opinion).

Aitch

#99 Post by Aitch »

Silvio

You may benefit from a full install and a separate linux swap partition, with low ram

However, I'd have though PC100 memory for that lappy easy to find cheaply in 64/128mb sticks, and it should take 2x128mb, at least

linuxbear

#100 Post by linuxbear »

Some of you folks are running powerhouses. I am posting this with an old Dell La titude laptop that's at least 6 years old. P-III 366Mhz with 256 Mb of RAM. This guy runs very with the 4.2, but is not as usable with 4.3. Everything is working. Of course, youtube is a bit choppy, but video runs well if it's on the miniscule 6 Gig hard drive.

...Glen

sullysat

#101 Post by sullysat »

linuxbear wrote:Some of you folks are running powerhouses. I am posting this with an old Dell La titude laptop that's at least 6 years old. P-III 366Mhz with 256 Mb of RAM. This guy runs very with the 4.2, but is not as usable with 4.3. Everything is working. Of course, youtube is a bit choppy, but video runs well if it's on the miniscule 6 Gig hard drive.

...Glen
Hey Glen, this is really great news! I have two HP Omnibooks with those same specs and I'm about to load them up and find homes for them. However, I intend to use 214X on both of those machines. If you want to try it you can read the thread here. I've mirrored most of the files and the distro on my site at the link in my sig.

I'm really glad to know that kit like this can run well.

Sully
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

Aitch

#102 Post by Aitch »

Sully, it sure does!

I have an old 'You can't break me' IBM 570 lappy, which has a real easy hard drive swap capability, which I use to load puppy onto obstinate setups

P3/333Mhz 128mb ram, that runs 214R hdd install [ haven't tried 214X yet] and it does DVD playback fine!!
I have an even earlier IBM 560 P2/233mhz 96mb, that doesn't get used so much, that runs 214R that does youtube - in small screen using ttuuxxx's firepup!

I love Puppy, it takes away your doorstops! :wink:

SilvioTOO

#103 Post by SilvioTOO »

You may benefit from a full install and a separate linux swap partition, with low ram

However, I'd have though PC100 memory for that lappy easy to find cheaply in 64/128mb sticks, and it should take 2x128mb, at least
Aitch, thanks for informations. A swap partition is in use, but system is low loading applications, especially seamonkey.
I'm interested to increase ram, but I don't know where buy this old ram... is possible still find this modules? :shock:

Aitch

#104 Post by Aitch »

Yes, depends where in the world you are, I've been trying to help someone else who's in Thailand and its proving tricky

If you have ebay or craig's list you can find them pretty easy

Any google search will give you a list of people stocking memory - I normally find out a type or number and try ebay

I think yours is standard PC100 laptop low density ram - 128Mb should work

Here's an example £3.50 + £1.95 post UK prices

http://preview.tinyurl.com/y8sjuzr

good luck, any probs, ask

gary101

#105 Post by gary101 »

Just took delivery of an old thinkpad x22 that I found cheap (£33) on ebay.
386 MB ram
800mhz processor
40 Gb hard drive
12.1 inch screen 1024x768

I booted and did a full install from usb pen drive of puppy 4.2.1
Just added an intel internal minipci card and antenna kit.

Everything working as it should. very impressed with the speed of this little firecracker. Cheaper than a new notebook!

Gary
If it's not one thing it's your mother

Hugh

Toshiba 490CDT

#106 Post by Hugh »

I've installed Puppy 214XRC3 Frugally to this very old laptop (1998) which has
a PII 233MHz CPU; 160MB Ram; 1.4GB HDD; CD Rom; USB Port; and now
an external modem via the Serial Port.

The internal modem wasn't detected by Puppy so I finally remembered that
I had an external modem which should be useful to solve this dilemma.

And it did!

Next will be upgrading the Hard Drive to some bodacious capacity.

Puppy is remarkably fast on this old machine. Wonder of wonders!

Win 98SE remains available as a boot option should there ever be a
need to run from WinDoze, however, I just can't imagine why I would...

Shazam!!

P.S. Forgot to mention, I'm online with this old machine right now!
Various Old Computers 100MHz - 1.9GHz
First Puppy: 2.00 Presently: TahrPup 6.0.3
HDD Filesystem: FAT32/ext3; Frugal Always

jeditalian

#107 Post by jeditalian »

i tried to get puppy running on two laptops from the paleolithic era..
they did not have usb ports, one was 133mhz one was 166mhz, both had probably about 32mb ram. it never got past the part where it decompresses vmlinuz or one of those things.
well, i tore those apart..
now i just bought a really nice laptop. kinda plain on the looks, but it's what's on the inside that counts. and for the price of $460, it's unbeatable. 4gb DDR3 (my desktop has 2gb DDr), 320gb hd (which really = about 300gb after that metric conversion. desktop has 1tb but until november2009 it only had 160gb) 2.2ghz dual core pentium. (my desktop has 2.4ghz athlon64. all that and my desktop cost more to build. but that was in 2006.
anyway, i use the windows7 during the day usually, but at night i boot into puppy4.31. i don't even save the configuration to the stick. everytime i change the boot priority in my bios to check the usb first, it resets itself either after i remove the usb stick, or after i let it boot into windows7. that's no problem, i have a reasonable amount of time to press f12 after powering on, to tell it to boot from usb.
the laptop has an HD resolution. 1366x768 i believe. there is a 1360x768 in xorg so i use that when i use xorg. xorg allows my touchpad to function as a scroll wheel on the right side, but strangely also as a back/forward navigation buttons that would be on a mouse, on the very bottom right corner of the touchpad. that can get annoying, because there is no button to toggle power to the touchpad on this laptop. i boot into puppy and pull out the stick, run all night in ram. i do this to keep the hard drive from spinning, because laptops get pretty hot when you use them on a bed.
xvesa is the fastest, but there is no resolution close to 1366x768. the screen still fills up, but hd video is skewed because of it. and the scrollwheel function of the touchpad is not there. that is nice though, because i also dont accidentally leave webpages because of an accidental touch. i just hook up the laser mouse and the scrollwheel works on it. another plus is touch tapping works automatically in xvesa.
but if i want to watch nice looking videos, i go into xorg. then i have to enable touch-tapping and restart x. then since i figured out the bottom right corner functions as a mouse forward/back button, if i swipe left or right, i can take advantage of that, because my mouse's back button always does funky things in puppy.

puppy linux seems to recognize that i have about 3gb of ram, but it always says 1.4G free. but i actually have 4gb. i guess it's because it's DDR3.
puppy works very well.
i bought a similar laptop, but with a sempron cpu and ddr2. it wouldnt boot puppy. i returned it the next day and got this one for $30 more at bestbuy.
if you need a new laptop, you might be interested in the fact that the one i just bought JUST dropped $30 bucks in price. i thought it was awesome for $460 after tax. now it is $400 before tax, which brings it to about $430 after tax. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+S ... Id=9784839
it runs awesome and i use the wifi on puppy all the time.

steve_s

#108 Post by steve_s »

Sorry, CatDude, just saw this thread.

My most frequently used computer is my Puppy 4.2.1 on a Toshiba Tecra. Works like a dream. Frugal install, love it. Native (internal) wireless runs great. It has an ext2 partition and a swap partition.

I also have another laptop I use but I'll have to get the spec's on it later today; that one is a save file on an old 3.5 gig hard drive that I stuck in there, using a MacPup livecd to boot. The laptop is relatively recent even though the hard drive is older. I use a belkin usb wireless that works great on this one. The drive is ext2 or vfat; can't remember. I don't save anything on that one as it is just 3.5 gigs, so only the save file is on there.

One comment: laptops can run hotter on Puppy than on XP, I've noted. This thread is indispensable in solving that. The 4.2.1 install runs very quiet and cool since I took the steps outlined in that thread, while the MacPup one gets really hot and the fan runs constantly, since I haven't applied anything to that one. I only use it briefly every once in a while (when I don't feel like getting my "real" laptop, the Tecra, out of my back pack) for quick internet access. 8)

Edit: oh, and I installed a custom pinky-ish puppy on my wife's laptop, but have to get the spec's on that one. All of these I periodically use a boot-cd to boot to usb for 4.3.1 to use for cleaning up the save files and cleaning the file-systems via e2fsck.

Asfromen

#109 Post by Asfromen »

I have an Acer Aspire 4730Z that I bought last year for $400, so even though it's new(ish), it's still bottom of the line. It's got a 2.16gz Pentium Dual-Core, an Intel GMA950, and 2 gb of RAM. It's got some sort of Atheros wireless card. I forget the exact model, but it's one that uses ath9k. 250gb hard drive set up to dual boot Slackware 13 and Puppy 4.31. Only thing I had to do to get Puppy running right was install 915resolution. I had to grab one from the forums because the one in the repository didn't recognize my graphics card. Other than that, everything works perfectly. Thanks for that link steve_s, I'll work on that tomorrow.

eden6000

#110 Post by eden6000 »

puppy linux seems to recognize that i have about 3gb of ram, but it always says 1.4G free. but i actually have 4gb. i guess it's because it's DDR3.
No, it's because puppy, as all 32 bits os, cas address at max 3 Gb of ram...