Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 08:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Puppy On Laptops
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 7 of 21 [309 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
CatDude

PostPosted: Sat 06 Mar 2010, 12:33    Post subject:  

Aitch

PostPosted: Sat 06 Mar 2010, 13:40    Post subject:  

Embarassed my bad, sorry about that, I found a different link, with arm in it, but can't find it again

The Aspire is here for just under £160 about $240, so a bit dearer than yours, but a good bit more powerful, with a 1.6ghz as to a 400mhz processor, methinks - without taking ION into consideration
Worth the extra $50?

http://www.compare.ie/83-computers/1242366-aspire-revo-r3600-intel-atom-230-1gb-8gb-ssd-nvidia-ion-graphics-wlan-linux.htm

Aitch Smile
SilvioTOO

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar 2010, 07:49    Post subject:  

I use Puppy with satisfaction on this old hardware:

Fujitsu Liteline
AMD 500 mhz
RAM 64 mb
Internal HD 4 GB
External usb disk 80 GB

Software:

Puppy 4.3.1
MLDonkey 3.0.1

Clic here for some images

Hi all! Very Happy
sullysat

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar 2010, 11:56    Post subject:  

SilvioTOO wrote:
I use Puppy with satisfaction on this old hardware:

Fujitsu Liteline
AMD 500 mhz
RAM 64 mb
Internal HD 4 GB
External usb disk 80 GB

Software:

Puppy 4.3.1
MLDonkey 3.0.1

Clic here for some images

Hi all! Very Happy

Awesome Silvio! How difficult was it to get 4.3.1 loaded with only 64MB of RAM? I've got some low spec machines that I'm using older versions of Puppy with, but this is encouraging, especially if it responds well for you.

Sully

r__hughes

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar 2010, 12:34    Post subject:  

I use grub-booted frugal Puppy431(2.6.30.5) on a DELL Latitude D610 Laptop with 512Mb RAM & (nominal)40G harddrive.which came with 1 bootable ntfs partition with WinXP Home installed.

I repartitioned it as shown below & made it grub-bootable from mbr for a frugal pup431 installation on the sda3 ext2 partition:-

sda1 15G ntfs bootable with WinXP
sda2 16G fat32 for misc files available to Puppy & WinXP
sda3 5.3G ext2 for frugal pup430
sda4 612M Linux-swap

The built-in wifi works out-of-the-box using the connect-wizard. It also has an ethernet port and 1 PCMCIA slot.

It has no built-in microphone or web-cam - but a $3 plug-in mike and a $25 microsoft VX-700 Lifecam do the trick for Skype and mhWaveEdit (using Alsamixer to give microphone capture & boost).

It has 4 USB2 connectors and I can boot off USB-flash drives and use USB2 ext harddrives & ext DVD/CD R/W (useful because the built-in optical drive is a CDRW/DVDR - no DVDW)
Dell_Lat_D610.jpg
 Description   How I partitioned the drive
 Filesize   45.05 KB
 Viewed   802 Time(s)

Dell_Lat_D610.jpg

pbittle

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar 2010, 13:22    Post subject: Dell Latitute D630
Subject description: Running Puppy in VM on D630

I know this thread is fairly old, but I just thought I'd throw my two cents in. I've got a Dell Latitude D-630 with 2GB RAM and a 100GB HDD running Windows XP SP3 and VMware Workstation 6.5.3. I'm using Puppy in the VM.

I loaded Puppy as a HD install. I allocated 256MB RAM and 1GB HDD for the Puppy install. It runs like a champ! I've had no problems with compatibility within VMware. I haven't tried it on this laptop as a standalone, i.e. accessing the hardware directly, such as wireless, display adapter, etc. However, based on my tests with other machines and the Puppy Live CD, I would suppose that it'll just run.

OT --I'm seriously considering using Puppy for a number of our factory PCs that are older. The one rub is that I need a TN5250 emulator to work. I downloaded Mochasoft's emulator for Linux. It says I need the GTK and GDK 1.2 Libraries. I'm having trouble figuring out how to get that working within Puppy. Any ideas would be appreciated.

If I need to start another thread or there is one already, please let me know. I'm new to the Puppy community, so please bear with me.

Thanks,
Peter
tubeguy

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar 2010, 13:28    Post subject: Re: Dell Latitute D630
Subject description: Running Puppy in VM on D630

pbittle wrote:
I know this thread is fairly old, but I just thought I'd throw my two cents in. I've got a Dell Latitude D-630 with 2GB RAM and a 100GB HDD running Windows XP SP3 and VMware Workstation 6.5.3. I'm using Puppy in the VM.

I loaded Puppy as a HD install. I allocated 256MB RAM and 1GB HDD for the Puppy install. It runs like a champ! I've had no problems with compatibility within VMware. I haven't tried it on this laptop as a standalone, i.e. accessing the hardware directly, such as wireless, display adapter, etc. However, based on my tests with other machines and the Puppy Live CD, I would suppose that it'll just run.

OT --I'm seriously considering using Puppy for a number of our factory PCs that are older. The one rub is that I need a TN5250 emulator to work. I downloaded Mochasoft's emulator for Linux. It says I need the GTK and GDK 1.2 Libraries. I'm having trouble figuring out how to get that working within Puppy. Any ideas would be appreciated.

If I need to start another thread or there is one already, please let me know. I'm new to the Puppy community, so please bear with me.

Thanks,
Peter

Welcome aboard!

Can't help you myself, but you might want to repost this in the "Users" forum at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=3

SilvioTOO

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar 2010, 14:00    Post subject:  

Quote:
Awesome Silvio! How difficult was it to get 4.3.1 loaded with only 64MB of RAM? I've got some low spec machines that I'm using older versions of Puppy with, but this is encouraging, especially if it responds well for you.

Razz I tell you that Puppy, on this poor machine, run quite well. The only great limit is the ram: at system loaded and MLDonkey running, only 2488 kb of memory remain free Sad

However, for curiosity, I tryed to used it for surf pages, email, chat and write with Abiword, and the experience is not frustrating (in my opinion).
Aitch

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar 2010, 18:38    Post subject:  

Silvio

You may benefit from a full install and a separate linux swap partition, with low ram

However, I'd have though PC100 memory for that lappy easy to find cheaply in 64/128mb sticks, and it should take 2x128mb, at least

Aitch Smile
linuxbear

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar 2010, 23:56    Post subject:  

Some of you folks are running powerhouses. I am posting this with an old Dell La titude laptop that's at least 6 years old. P-III 366Mhz with 256 Mb of RAM. This guy runs very with the 4.2, but is not as usable with 4.3. Everything is working. Of course, youtube is a bit choppy, but video runs well if it's on the miniscule 6 Gig hard drive.

...Glen
sullysat

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar 2010, 00:35    Post subject:  

linuxbear wrote:
Some of you folks are running powerhouses. I am posting this with an old Dell La titude laptop that's at least 6 years old. P-III 366Mhz with 256 Mb of RAM. This guy runs very with the 4.2, but is not as usable with 4.3. Everything is working. Of course, youtube is a bit choppy, but video runs well if it's on the miniscule 6 Gig hard drive.

...Glen

Hey Glen, this is really great news! I have two HP Omnibooks with those same specs and I'm about to load them up and find homes for them. However, I intend to use 214X on both of those machines. If you want to try it you can read the thread here. I've mirrored most of the files and the distro on my site at the link in my sig.

I'm really glad to know that kit like this can run well.

Sully

Aitch

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar 2010, 09:12    Post subject:  

Sully, it sure does!

I have an old 'You can't break me' IBM 570 lappy, which has a real easy hard drive swap capability, which I use to load puppy onto obstinate setups

P3/333Mhz 128mb ram, that runs 214R hdd install [ haven't tried 214X yet] and it does DVD playback fine!!
I have an even earlier IBM 560 P2/233mhz 96mb, that doesn't get used so much, that runs 214R that does youtube - in small screen using ttuuxxx's firepup!

I love Puppy, it takes away your doorstops! Wink

Aitch Smile
SilvioTOO

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar 2010, 09:15    Post subject:  

Quote:
You may benefit from a full install and a separate linux swap partition, with low ram

However, I'd have though PC100 memory for that lappy easy to find cheaply in 64/128mb sticks, and it should take 2x128mb, at least

Aitch, thanks for informations. A swap partition is in use, but system is low loading applications, especially seamonkey.
I'm interested to increase ram, but I don't know where buy this old ram... is possible still find this modules? Shocked
Aitch

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar 2010, 10:36    Post subject:  

Yes, depends where in the world you are, I've been trying to help someone else who's in Thailand and its proving tricky

If you have ebay or craig's list you can find them pretty easy

Any google search will give you a list of people stocking memory - I normally find out a type or number and try ebay

I think yours is standard PC100 laptop low density ram - 128Mb should work

Here's an example £3.50 + £1.95 post UK prices

http://preview.tinyurl.com/y8sjuzr

good luck, any probs, ask

Aitch Smile
gary101

PostPosted: Tue 16 Mar 2010, 20:24    Post subject:  

Just took delivery of an old thinkpad x22 that I found cheap (£33) on ebay.
386 MB ram
800mhz processor
40 Gb hard drive
12.1 inch screen 1024x768

I booted and did a full install from usb pen drive of puppy 4.2.1
Just added an intel internal minipci card and antenna kit.

Everything working as it should. very impressed with the speed of this little firecracker. Cheaper than a new notebook!

Gary

Page 7 of 21 [309 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: