Puppy On Laptops

Using applications, configuring, problems
ericbenner

#316 Post by ericbenner »

I just started using Puppy a few weeks ago. But my system seems to be working pretty nicely. It's a Dell Inspiron 6400, about 9 years old. I just put a new 1GB hard drive in it. 4 partitions - the 3 listed below plus about a 1GB swap partition. I am running Lucid 5.2.8 as a full install on sda1 (using right this minute). I also have Tahrpup frugal install on sda2. basic machine spec's as follows;
Processor : 2x Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2080 @ 1.73GHz
Memory : 2074MB (216MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed 06 May 2015 09:34:21 PM GMT+5

-Mounted File Systems-
rootfs / 8.91 % (43.8 GiB of 48.1 GiB)
/dev/root / 8.91 % (43.8 GiB of 48.1 GiB)
shmfs /dev/shm 0.03 % (503.8 MiB of 504.0 MiB)
Eric Benner
Jack of all trades, master of one, according to the license.

"This posting was created from 100% recycled electrons."

"If you can't have fun at work, don't bother showing up."

starhawk

#317 Post by starhawk »

You made me smile. I had an Inspiron 6400 once. It was my father's before it was mine... it's the only laptop I've ever had where I literally used it to death. Motherboard failed, we had worked it so hard. Ha!

RetroTechGuy

#318 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Guess I should post this here, as well...

Success Report:

I copied and pasted my entire Sulu1 (lupusuper1) folder onto my old Dell Latitude C640 (1.6 GHz, 1 GB RAM), and it came right up (the only adjustment needed was that my newer laptop supports a better monitor -- I rolled down to the "basic 15 inch" resolution in the settings -- the brightness was very low until I made this change -- if you create a new save file, it gets it right out-of-the-box).

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

TecnoGuy458

Compaq Presario V5000

#319 Post by TecnoGuy458 »

Model: Compaq Presario V5000 (RG324UA#ABA)
Puppy: Tahrpup 6.0.2 PAE

install type: Full Install
WIFI works well once installed

Special Note: my Compaq Presario V5000 is the variant without PCMCIA card slot, Bluetooth, card reader, etc.

I was unable to test:

-Express Card slot: I have been unable to test the Express card slot due to the fact that i currently have no hardware that uses it.
-modem. i was unable to try the modem due to the fact that i have no way of testing it.
-expansion port: I was unable to test this port due to the fact that, like the express card slot, I have no hardware that uses this port.

what i have tested:
Graphics: works
Sound: works
WIFI: works, at least in a full install.
USB: works
Keyboard and touchpad: works.
Ethernet: haven't tried it but its listed as a network interface.
DVD/CD-R drive: works.

wifi chip:
Broadcom Corporation BCM4318
graphics:
AMD/ATI RS480M Mobility Radeon Xpress 200
DVD/CD-R drive:
TSSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-L462D
other computer information.
-Computer-
Processor : Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3300+
Memory : 1935MB (378MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : tahrpup - 6.0.2
-Display-
Resolution : 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS480
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

i think that's everything.

Mike Walsh

#320 Post by Mike Walsh »

I use four 'Pups; Tahrpup, ETP's 'Chromebook' Pup (v.1); Slacko 5.7.0, & rg66's X-Slacko 2.3.2 (570 with XFCE).

These all run very well on my 'big' Compaq desktop. However, on my old Dell lappie (an original 1100, from 2003) the only one that will run correctly is Tahrpup.

When XP went EOL last year, I was looking around for a Linux distro that could replace XP. It used to run like a slug; a 'Netburst'-era single-core Celeron, 128 MB of RAM.....and the most fiendish graphics chip Intel ever turned out in the early days; the 'Brookedale'-cored, 82845G/GL/GE/PE/PV 'Extreme' graphics chip. Nothing about it is 'normal' at all; as MikeB used to say, Intel said 'Sod it' to VESA standards.....and chucked the rule-book out of the window when they built the thing! Awful device.....but it can't be changed, unfortunately.

Works perfectly under Windows, of course. All the Linux distros I tried would install.....but getting a display to work was another story. I tried Slacko 570 and Precise 5.7.1 in the early days, but they were just the same; fragmented, broken display. When Tahrpup came out in November last year (I was put onto it by an acquaintance on the Ubuntu forums), I decided to try it just for the hell of it, not expecting anything different.....and to my absolute amazement, everything worked OOTB, from the moment I re-booted.....even the display.

So it's stayed on there ever since. She's had quite a bit of upgrading in recent months; I replaced the Celeron with a P4 (which improved matters quite a bit); maxed the RAM out to 1 GB.....but the biggest difference has been made by replacing the original 20 GB Hitachi Travelstar with a 32 GB Transcend PATA/IDE interface SSD. This has really speeded up load times; Puppy's up & running in a matter of seconds now.

Best little distro ever! I've always liked the 'micro' distros, anyway; been experimenting with SliTaz for a while now, and have recently started playing around with TinyCore. It's all good fun.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:- I now have Slacko 570 dual-booting alongside Tahrpup on the 1100.....by the simple expedient of adding 'i915.modeset=0' to Slacko's kernel line in the 'menu.lst' generated by Grub4DOS. This is straight from 01micko's advice in the release notes for Slacko 570:-

http://slacko.01micko.com/notes.html

That, and upgrading from the A22 to the A32 BIOS (obtained from here):-

http://www.bay-wolf.com/flashbios.htm

.....which allows you to allocate the maximum amount of 'shared' RAM to the screen display buffer. The Dell is now doing what I've been trying to get her to do for months; dual-booting two Pups!

Not bad at all for a nearly 13-yr old 'clunker' (I have a lot of affection for this old Dell; we've been some places together!). It's all good stuff...!

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 00:07, edited 5 times in total.

Deacon

#321 Post by Deacon »

I mostly use netbooks, and X-Slacko works great on them. My favorite is an HP Pavillion dm1 that runs it like a champ on 1.6GB memory.

DJ Puppio

#322 Post by DJ Puppio »

Got 6.0.2 running on a little Dell mini. The screen is about 8 inches wide and 6 inches tall. Has like 700 megs of RAM.

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y50 ... f1fh71.png

It's a pretty nice little machine when it's running puppy. It struggles mightily with xp. I didn't buy this, btw. A family member didn't have much use for it and giave it to me. I haven't done much with it; it's just been my last case resort backup.

sheldonisaac

Dell Inspiron mini 9-Inch

#323 Post by sheldonisaac »

DJ Puppio wrote:Got 6.0.2 running on a little Dell mini. The screen is about 8 inches wide and 6 inches tall. Has like 700 megs of RAM.

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y50 ... f1fh71.png

It's a pretty nice little machine when it's running puppy. It struggles mightily with xp. I didn't buy this, btw. A family member didn't have much use for it and giave it to me. I haven't done much with it; it's just been my last case resort backup.
My Dell Inspiron mini 9-Inch booted OK last time I tried; it was a hand-me-down, came with XP, I think, plus some kind of Ubuntu.
Screen is about 7-3/4 by 4-1/2 inches.

Does anyone know where to find a list of which laptops work with which Puppy Linuxes?

Thanks,
Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

smokey01

Re: Dell Inspiron mini 9-Inch

#324 Post by smokey01 »

sheldonisaac wrote:Does anyone know where to find a list of which laptops work with which Puppy Linuxes?

Thanks,
Sheldon
The link in the first post would be a good place to start.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyOnLaptops

mikeslr

Acer Aspire One D270 --DebianDog 64 bit

#325 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

I should mention that since my last post about the Acer AspireOne D270, all the Pups published since that post that I've tried have provided acceptable graphics display. Whether or not that means "accelerated" I don't know.

The reason I didn't just edit that post was to bring to your attention that fredx181's 64-bit DebianDog-Jessie for testing booted to desktop, provided acceptable graphics, connected to the internet and did this all only using 110 Mbs of RAM. Opened builtin IceWeasel to Youtube-Music. Flash was already installed (Error, See PS.). Selected a random video. Picture was clear. Singing was clear and discernable after slight sound adjustment. Perhaps a little tinny*. RAM usage increased to 276 MBs, CPU to 21% :o :D Available here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 473#876473

* Could be the selection. Could be the internal speaker. Could be I need my hearing checked. :lol:

Guess I'm gonna hav-ta learn how to make the most of DebianDogs. :D

mikesLr

PS. My mistake. fredx181, publisher of DebianDog64, advises, "- Playing Youtube video from Iceweasel works because of HTML5 support, Flashplayer is NOT included in DD64 iso.
It can be installed however by typing in terminal: Code:

apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Or from Synaptic package manager, search for 'flashplugin-nonfree'
- Sound is set very low at first time boot (without changes saved to savefile/folder)
It can be increased from Menu> Multimedia> Alsamixergui or from volume tray icon (Open Mixer)"

Pelo

Medion P7624 16600x900

#326 Post by Pelo »

Medion P7624 16600x900
All puppies since serie 5 run this laptop, I rematerized series 4 with kernel 3.0.25 and the matter is quite closed, i connect wireless, but these dear vintage are deaf an dumb.
I have just succeeding in runing audio by replacing repository /dev by a newest one from ... Tahrpup !
Windows 7 runs the Dolby system of this Medion. Linux doesn't. It's not a real pain, because i connect speakers to the laptop. But if someone should know how to make Dolby vailable for Linux too, i Would be happy.
Attachments
usr.jpg
Old Puppies with new laptop
(51.41 KiB) Downloaded 920 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 07:01, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

When you play Linux, you can smoke some cigarettes,

#327 Post by Pelo »

When you play Linux, you can smoke some cigarettes, to avoid nervous breakdown, but never be drunk ! no alcohol beside the laptop. :)
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#328 Post by Semme »

Amusement? Clean that mess up!
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Creativian

#329 Post by Creativian »

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 1800. It's over 10 years old. It's currently running Wary 5.5.

I have been unable to get the newer distro, tahrpup 6.0.5, to work. I get the black screen. I have tried using the boot command, puppy pfix=nox, so that I can manually edit the xorg.conf file, but the bootup command doesn't work. I've tried other boot commands, and none of them work. Tahrpup appears to ignore all boot commands, which is really stupid IMO.

I also failed to get Lucid Puppy to work. At least Lucid and Wary respond properly to boot commands.

Puppy 4.3.1 also worked, but I wanted to see if I could use something a little more up-to-date. Hence Wary 5.5, but I'm finding it pretty slow, especially on the internet. I may have to go back to 4.3.1.

Semme

#330 Post by Semme »

Welcome Mate.

Are you saying 605 won't boot with Xvesa?

How about your card? Forward these specs using Wary's PupSysInfo.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Fossil

#331 Post by Fossil »

Creativian Welcome. A simple question to kick-off and get the ball rolling - How much memory is available?

Creativian

#332 Post by Creativian »

Thanks for the welcome, Semme and Fossil.
Semme wrote:Welcome Mate.

Are you saying 605 won't boot with Xvesa?

How about your card? Forward these specs using Wary's PupSysInfo.
I don't even get the chance to select Xvesa. I don't see the xorgwizard at all. Boom, straight to black screen.

I'm not familiar with PupSysInfo. Where do I find that?

Creativian

#333 Post by Creativian »

Fossil wrote:Creativian Welcome. A simple question to kick-off and get the ball rolling - How much memory is available?
Hi Fossil,

506MB (220MB used), according to HardInfo.

Semme

#334 Post by Semme »

Tahr may be a bit much for that amount of RAM.

I suggest you dwnld and try the retro version here..

ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/quirky/precise-5.7.1/

Gordie

#335 Post by Gordie »

My main laptop is a 2010 HP Pavilion G6:
* Processor - AMD Phenom(tm) II P960 Quad-Core
* Architecture - x86_64 *64-bit*
* RAM - 6 Gig
* * Hard Drive - 700 Gig
* WiFi /Lan
ANY 64-bit Puppy I try with USB stick works and works well.

My little computer is a 2009 HP MINI 210-1000 NETBOOK:
* Processor - Intel Atom
* Architecture - i686 *64-bit*
* RAM - maxed out at 2 Gig
* Hard Drive - 230 GB
* WiFi /Lan
I have Slacko64 Puppy 6.9.5 frugal installed to the hard drive. Also I have a USB stick with:
Every other latest release of Puppies for 64 bit that I could find EXCEPT FatDog64 which is the only one that cannot detect my wifi card. All works as it should.

EDIT (update below)
As of spring 2017 the above computers have found new owners and now my only laptop is a Lenovo ThinkPad W510
* Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
* Architecture - x86_64 *64-bit*
* RAM - 8 Gig
* * Hard Drive - 500 Gig
* WiFi /Lan
ANY 64-bit Puppy I try with USB stick works and works well except for Fatdog64-700 and newer which cannot detect my wifi card
Last edited by Gordie on Thu 08 Feb 2018, 06:05, edited 2 times in total.