Puppy On Laptops

Using applications, configuring, problems
steve_s

Re: I've Ubuntu somewhere but I prefer Puppy Linux; shhhh

#151 Post by steve_s »

benny7440 wrote:...a live cd. Thanks to the fact it has 528MB of RAM it runs very ok.
Before having this notebook I was using an old laptop (eBuddy from Earthwalk with just 128MB of RAM with a frugal PL 421 installation & it was behaving very well, too).
Now, I don't know if this's the right place to put this but I'm having a new problem with PL 431. I wanted & tried to install it in an SD Card (128MB - TransFlash) in order to stop booting up with the live cd all the time &, more important than that, to make some configurations persistent: i.e. Bookmarks, Internet Connections Configuratrions, some docs, etc..
As far as I can tell all the necessary files are installed but this notebook refuses to boot, it does the same thing with a DSL in a flash drive that's working in other machines (eBuddy). I already checked that the BIOS is configurable to permit a usb boot. I've a little interface from Motorola to put in the SD Card & connect to a computer via a usb port: tried that to with the same result (I mean to boot via usb & not to install when it's in the said interface).
I noticed that the PET installer gives some alternatives but I think I exhausted the relevant ones except for the least recommended one because I'm digging for some extra info before I do commit myself with the last alternative.
Keep developing one of the best OS available to all in the space required by WIN98 twelve years ago: REMARKABLE!
Note: People that I tell this & other things concerning Puppy Linux make me promise to show them because they don't beleive it.
Hey, Benny! What exactly does it do when you try to boot it? Does it boot grub then give an error or just say operating system not found, or what?

esl

Work in progress

#152 Post by esl »

As a work in progress I got my old Thinkpad 380Z running suprisingly well (minus network) from the 5.01 live CD, specs as below:

Processor Pentium II (Deschutes)
Memory 92MB (42MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.50
All hardware figured out pretty much automatically.
Sound system need some trivial manual intervention.

Rolled back to Puppy 4.3.1 and that gets the Netgear configured seemingly OK, recognised by my router OK, but still no internet connection - so temporarily stumped and can't figure it out...

George

Aitch

#153 Post by Aitch »

George

see my reply in this thread, you may have a DNS problem, especially if using Virgin ISP

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50515

HTH

Aitch :)

rokytnji

#154 Post by rokytnji »

Been awhile since I have posted what works on this thread. I have sold some of the other Laptops I have previously posted and purchased a couple of Netbooks with the percentage of funds made .

Asus EEEPC 701SD.
8gig internal SSD (AntiX 8.5 Full iso/Full Install)
1 gig of ram
Puppeee 4.4 Beta. Frugal install on 4 gig external SD Flash card.

Asus EEEPC 900
4gig SSD primary/ 16 gig secondary (AntiX 8.5 full iso/ full install. / on 4 gig SSD. /home on 16 gig secondary SSD)
2gig of ram.
Puppeee 4.3.7 Beta. Frugal install on 4 gig Externall SD Flash Card.

Both Netbooks have Camera,Sound including Mic, Hotkeys, Flash, Media Players, Skype, working out of the box using Puppeee. I have documented this in Puppeee threads also.
Last edited by rokytnji on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

ZekeMenuar

#155 Post by ZekeMenuar »

I'm running Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 on a 4gb SanDisk Traveler flash drive.
I have Puppy setup to load into RAM.

My laptop is a Enpower EN660 aka MSI PR600.
Enpower was the store brand of PC Club before they went under.

Intel Core 2 Duo T7100
Intel 965 onboard graphics
4GB RAM
15.4" monitor
Intel PRO Wireless 4965

Installed and runs with no drama.
Puppy is my preferred OS when running the laptop only.

Still working on solutions for running an extended desktop with the 15.4" laptop monitor and a 19" external monitor.

As soon as I can I hope to install Puppy along side Windoze 7 in a dual-boot.

The flash drive also works on my wife's similar Enpower laptop.
It has a Intel T5400 chip, NVidia graphics and 2gb RAM. and has the same MSI chassis.

dingo53

#156 Post by dingo53 »

Hi all,
After a few initial issues Puppy 511 is working quite well with some reservations.

The biggest problem was getting Puppy onto the hard drive. The stock CD rom drive on this vintage laptop doesn't like large files, resulting in "hangs" either on booting from the CD or during the install process.

The solution for that was to commence the install on another PC then refitting the HD.

The video chipset also had its moments. Xvesa could achieve the 800x600 resolution though woefully slow. Downloading the Xorg_High driver solved that after manually editing the xorg config to 800x600 (it offered 640x400)

No problems with the sound or network adapter, SMC2206 USB - Ethernet.

I still haven't been able to get the cardbus / PCMCIA adapter to work, though I haven't tried it since installing toshset.

The other reservation, which is not just a Puppy issue is the small screen size. At only 800x600 resolution it's not a serious web browser. Many sites do not display correctly. This site does though! Some of the Puppy GUIs are too high, making things difficult.

It does what I wanted it to, that's as an ebook for the EMC2 documentation I'm trying to absorb and put to use and running Skype to stay in touch with friends and family.

With 192MB of ram I opted for a full install. It's currently using 112MB with SeaMonkey and Skype running.

Pushing things to the limit I tried Pradio. Radio's fine however TV just makes it. Moving the video window kills it, resulting in a black window. Oh well, can't expect too much from a K6-2-400.

Just for fun, I've installed 421 retro frugal on a second partition. No problems getting those big files from the CD under Puppy Linux.

Puppy 511 is a great upgrade from Win98SE, and much easier to install.

dingo53

#157 Post by dingo53 »

No problems on this Acer Laptop yet. Supposedly designed for Win XP it ran like a 3 legged log until I fed it Puppy 511, full install, with Firefox and Skype.

I've now got my sights set on my daughters Toshiba :) It's bogged down and can't get up. Just need to make sure it will go with Testra mobile wireless and I-pod.
Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT 192MB Puppy 511 full and Puppy 421 frugal.
Acer TravelMate 270 Puppy 511 full & Seamonkey. Wary090 frugal

gary

eMachines eM250 notes...

#158 Post by gary »

Recently installed Lupu511 on a eMachines (Acer) eM250 netbook...

CPU: Atom N270 1.6Ghz hyperthread single core
RAM: 1Gig
HD: Hitachi HTS54502 SATA 250Gig 2.5inch internal
CD: N/A
Display: 10 inch LCD 1024X600 native
VGA Cntlr: Intel 945GMS/GME
Audio: Intel N10/CH 7 hi-def
Network: Broadcom BCM4312 802/11 b/g
Touchpad: Synaptic

Since there is no CD, I created a 4Gig flash and did a Universal Frugal install to the netbook from that.

Problems...
1) Initial problems getting the touchpad (synaptic) to work properly, but was solved... http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60430

2) Had a little trouble connecting to my router, but after jumping thru a few hoops it works fine. A more intuitive "View local routers" would be helpful.

3) Hangs (a lot) at initial boot message "Loading drivers need to access disk drives". Interestingly, if the message is followed by exactly 5 dots, it will hang and the only work around is to hold power button until it shuts down, then restart by pushing button again. This is repeated until more than 5 dots are shown and it then boots successfully. This happens about 75% of the time and also happens when I boot from the flash drive???

4) Sound doesn't work yet, and am still working on this one?

Once booted, the system seems to run OK and is on par in the HW Info benchmarks with the 1.5Ghz Celeron reference CPU.
[b]Hasten Slowly![/b]

CatDude

#159 Post by CatDude »

Hi all

I have now added this link http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyOnLaptops
at the top of this thread.
This should make it easier for you to find what you are looking for, instead of wasting time trawling through this thread.

To those of you who have already contributed to this thread, may i ask a favour,
if you need to add any more details on any other laptops you get Puppy running on,
would you be so kind as to just add a new post on the end, rather than editing any existing posts.

This will make it a lot easier for me to try and keep the wiki page up to date.

A big thankyou to all who have contributed so far.
CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Aitch

#160 Post by Aitch »

Thanks CatDude

A valuable resource, and I wish more people did this on long threads, no names mentioned

CatDude

#161 Post by CatDude »

Hi
Aitch wrote:Thanks CatDude

A valuable resource, and I wish more people did this on long threads, no names mentioned
No worries mate, i just felt it would be helpful.
Though if this thread was many more pages than it is, i'm not so sure i would have sat here this afternoon and re-read it. :lol:

Anyways, i'll do my best to keep on top of it from here on.

CatDude

steve_s

#162 Post by steve_s »

Oh, I have something new to post on this thread!

My hard drive crashed on my Toshiba Tecra, my favorite Puppy laptop!

But I had the save file and a lot of crucial files saved on another hard drive, dumped them to a specific external hard drive, then I was ready to get my laptop going again.

But my cd drive was crappin' out, then did, and I couldn't boot any other way, no usb (would only use usb floppy drive which I don't have).

But I had a DVD drive to put in there, yet here was the issue:

the Tecra would say IDE #1 ERROR with any of my cd or DVD drives I plugged in.

The answer? I had to connect pin 45 and 47, per instructions here. I used a piece of tin-foil.

DVD drive works, cd boots, finds save file on my external, I'm back in the game. 8)

Aitch

#163 Post by Aitch »

Steve
I had that on a different brand
Turned out the solution was a firmware update needed, but I hadn't seen this tip before, thanks

steve_s

#164 Post by steve_s »

Aitch wrote:Steve
I had that on a different brand
Turned out the solution was a firmware update needed, but I hadn't seen this tip before, thanks

Welcome; I new it was firmware but no idea how to take care of that in Puppy, so this worked for me...

cthisbear

#165 Post by cthisbear »

CatDude :

2 laptops. In the 2 posts above ttuuxxx .

My weird way to connect wireless.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 222#471222

""""""""""""

Toshiba SATELLITE PRO C650

" There is an Atheros wireless lan >> AR9285 that shows up...

Solved >>> but no Lan which is >> Atheros AR8152 >>
( NDIS 6.20 ) Windows 7 listing. "

Fix >> AR8152 driver for wired lan made by tempestuous

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 845#467845

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=34544

""""""""""

Acer Netbook >> eMachines eM350-21G16i

Atheros 9285 wireless on this little Acer.
I forget which Lan hardware is on the Acer but it shows up.
Must be Atheros ??

Fluppy 006 runs great on this Acer.
Wireless and Lan pickup perfectly.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 222#471222

Chris.
Last edited by cthisbear on Wed 01 Dec 2010, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.

brwnstown

Re: Puppy on Laptops

#166 Post by brwnstown »

brians3 wrote:First off: Puppy Linux is the best Linux distribution available...period.
The Gateway is a barebones MX3225 with a 1.5 Celeron.

All 3 laptops work seamlessly with Puppy. And the speed is fantastic. I save my configuration to the hard drives and that makes it easy to boot up and use Puppy.

There have been issues with the soundcards working especially on the Gateway which I'm looking into now.
If anyone finds this interesting I can submit more technical detail in a future post. I'm composing this on my Gateway currently.

An interesting thing, too, for me with Puppy. My Gateway has a built-in wifi via Realtek. This wifi regularly has disconnects when I boot up under Windows XP and have taken to using a pcmcia Linksys card which is more stable most of the time.

Under Puppy, I connect regularly with the Realtek wifi and have left the Gateway on for a whole day without getting disconnected once. For me, that's impressive.

For that alone, I love Puppy Linux.
I am about to put puppy 511 on a gateway mx3215 1.4 celron and 1 gig of ram. Has 40gig HD and I have another 40 gig HD that I cant use yet until I get the hook up.
But I had problems a while ago when I put LM8 on it. It has something to do with getting openchrome set up right. Took me about 4-5 days to get the screen resolution and sound right on mint.

So maybe we can bang around ideas on getting the sound right on the gateways..

maxpro4u

#167 Post by maxpro4u »

Compaq Evo N160
1133 mz processor
512 mb ram
Specs Here: http://tinyurl.com/29x8fnu

5.1.1 runs well. I really like Macpup511 and Quickset runs well also. No problem with sound and my wireless card was easy to configure on all 3. Volume keys were easy to setup using Macpup and Fluppy but not on others.

Fluppy10 and pupflux have a problem with the screen being "dark". This has been solved by using xorgwizard and choosing vesa. As a plus, choosing vesa allows the scroll to work. This works on every puppy I've tried where the scroll button is not functioning on 8) .

Wary 120 configures my mouse and scroll button fine but it hosed my full install of 511. One must be careful, seems as though some puppies do not play well with others :roll:
Last edited by maxpro4u on Wed 05 Jan 2011, 02:12, edited 2 times in total.
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

CatDude

#168 Post by CatDude »

Hi

@ cthisbear
Cheers mate, i have added links to my wiki page.

@ brwnstown
brwnstown wrote:So maybe we can bang around ideas on getting the sound right on the gateways..
Hopefully sombody can help you with that, but i'm afraid that i cannot.

When you eventually get that gateway mx3215 sorted out,
add another post with details and i will add a link to the wiki page.

@ maxpro4u
Thanks, i have added a link to the wiki

CatDude

cthisbear

#169 Post by cthisbear »

CatDude :

pemasu to the rescue. Both laptops now connect.

I edited my previous post with the fix by tempestuous.

Chris.

brwnstown

#170 Post by brwnstown »

CatDude wrote:Hi

@ cthisbear
Cheers mate, i have added links to my wiki page.

@ brwnstown
brwnstown wrote:So maybe we can bang around ideas on getting the sound right on the gateways..
Hopefully sombody can help you with that, but i'm afraid that i cannot.

When you eventually get that gateway mx3215 sorted out,
add another post with details and i will add a link to the wiki page.

@ maxpro4u
Thanks, i have added a link to the wiki

CatDude

I managed to get the sound right. Pretty easy actually.. Right click on the speaker select full screen and scroll down to external amp and uncheck it.

I feel stupid messing around for days with scripts etc. for nothing..LOL
I posted about this in the how to solutions section..