cannot get puppy to access network shares

Booting, installing, newbie
rc mad

cannot get puppy to access network shares

#1 Post by rc mad »

Hi everyone, new to puppy and more importantly linux.

I am having issue trying to access a NAS drive, it's a buffalo linkstation, i can see the linkstation and its shares in both pnethood and in LinNeighborhood but when ever i try to mount on of the shares it errors, does the same in rxvt.

the error in pnethood is
the server may be refusing you access to the share or your password may be incorrect.
The error in linneighborhood is
can't get etc/mtab~lock filesmbmnt failed:1
under that line there are a number of lines that start with init_conv, those same lines appear in rxvt also.

I have absolutly no idea what to try next, i have already been through thte wiki and the begineers index, none of the threads under the share heading helped much.

Would anyone be kind enough to point out what i'm doing wrong :D

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

There has been an issue about such a situation not too long ago.
Use the puppysearch link in my sig and look for NAS.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

You might also like to post your puppy version, and try putting in something (anything) for a username, if the shares are configured to not need a username and password.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

rc mad

#4 Post by rc mad »

thanks for the help so far guys, i found the link you suggested beem but have had no joy with it, the shares just don't want to mount. I also tried slax to see if i could get the connection to work, no joy either so i don't think it's puppy, more of an issue with the linkstation nas i am using. The puppy version is 4.3.1.

I have got it to connect using ftp. Seeing as I only need the connection for music / file access an ftp connection is as good as i'll need :D

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

If ftp works look out for curlftpfs and the file sharing in the menu(if its still there)..this will give you transparent access via rox with streaming ability.
(unless you have already discovered that one)
mike

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

Also, a new gui has been created to replace pnethood http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 170#378170
Please try it and report if it doesn't work... the more testing it gets the better it can be.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER