Where can I download Puppeee 4.2 iso?

Booting, installing, newbie
bevboy0223

Where can I download Puppeee 4.2 iso?

#1 Post by bevboy0223 »

Hi, everyone. My first post! Been using puppy linux for a few months now on a dell laptop. It was running ubuntu, but the wireless stopped working on 10.4 and I couldn't get it working without getting so ticked off I wanted to scream. Puppy recognized the wireless networks right away. Viva la puppy!

I'd like to try puppeee on my netbook. I have gone to websites that purported to provide the iso file for puppeee 4.2, but upon running them, discovered it was actually puppy 4.2. I want puppeee.

Where can I find an iso file for puppeee 4.2? When will the 4.3 iso be ready? I don't really want to go through the hassle of installing the 4.3 beta unless it's in an iso format.

Thanks, everyone!!

Bev

rjbrewer

Re: ISO Puppeee iso

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

bevboy0223 wrote:Hi, everyone. My first post! Been using puppy linux for a few months now on a dell laptop. It was running ubuntu, but the wireless stopped working on 10.4 and I couldn't get it working without getting so ticked off I wanted to scream. Puppy recognized the wireless networks right away. Viva la puppy!

I'd like to try puppeee on my netbook. I have gone to websites that purported to provide the iso file for puppeee 4.2, but upon running them, discovered it was actually puppy 4.2. I want puppeee.

Where can I find an iso file for puppeee 4.2? When will the 4.3 iso be ready? I don't really want to go through the hassle of installing the 4.3 beta unless it's in an iso format.

Thanks, everyone!!

Bev
Here is link to puppeee thread.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 87&t=48288

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

bevboy0223

#3 Post by bevboy0223 »

Thanks, but I'm looking for a stable puppee. I figured 4.2 as an ISO. The link you sent me to doesn't provide an iso.

Is there a version of puppee as an iso?

Thanks.

Bev

smokey01

#4 Post by smokey01 »

puppeee doesn't come as an iso because eeepc don't come with cd/dvd's.

The version to the link above is very stable and nice.

You won't be disappointed if you have an eeepc.

If you are concerned about installation check out jemimah's site as it's explained there. http://puppeee.com/web/

bevboy0223

#5 Post by bevboy0223 »

Nope. Sorry. I am confused and frustrated.

I downloaded that zip file. I extracted the file and see that the file structure looks like the one in the picture that Jeremiah produced.

I didn't see anything about bootloader in the bios.

I ran bootinst.sh a couple of times. I assume it worked, but how can I know?

I pressed esc when firing up the asus. Selected the usb port to boot from.

Then, it just went into the ubuntu already on the asus.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Bev

bevboy0223

#6 Post by bevboy0223 »

SORRY! I got Jemimah's name wrong.

Bev

bevboy0223

#7 Post by bevboy0223 »

A bit more. I tried to make the usb stick bootable, but it doesn't run. Do I run it in terminal or just run it? Neither option works for me.

Once again, what am I doing wrong?

Why does everything have to be so hard in linux?

Bev

bevboy0223

#8 Post by bevboy0223 »

Sigh.

Ran this from the terminal. Good thing I have some unix skills, but nothing says to do this.

made my way to the usb device and then found the boot directory.

Ran ./bootinst.sh

It basically echoed the contents of the file to the screen, but said "Can't find device to install to", and "Make sure you run this script from a mounted device".

Huh? What are they talking about?

Bev

bevboy0223

#9 Post by bevboy0223 »

Ran the dos version of the boot script. That ran ok.

But upon booting to the usb it says "no bootable partition in table"

What does that mean?

Bev

jemimah

#10 Post by jemimah »

Hi,

Please take a screenshot of the message you get when you run the script, and post it here.

You do not need to run anything from the command line. If the terminal doesn't come up when you click on the script, please tell me what version of Linux you are running it on and post the output when you run it from the command line.

Make sure not to run the installer script until after you copy it to the usb drive.

bevboy0223

#11 Post by bevboy0223 »

I'm trying to install puppeee on this netbook, the one I'm using to type these words. This machine is running ubuntu 10.4.

When I try to click on bootinst.sh, a window comes up asking me if I want to display the contents, run it in terminal, cancel, or just run. If I run, it ignores me; does nothing. Running in terinal brings up a term window for a split second.

I gave up and ran bootinst,bat on my windows machine. That ran successfully and it said the usb was now portable.

But, I put it in my eee and it gave me the error message I quoted in the previous entry. That is the only thing that appears on the screen. It is a black screen otherwise.

Sorry I misspelled your name earlier this evening.

Thanks.

Bev

jemimah

#12 Post by jemimah »

What version of Windows are you running?

Can you post a screenshot of the output of the script?

I will test on Ubuntu and see what the problem is.

jemimah

#13 Post by jemimah »

Here's a new boot directory. Delete the existing boot directory and replace it with this one.

I tested this on Ubuntu and Kubuntu and it works for me. I'm still uncertain why the windows installer did not work for you.

bevboy0223

#14 Post by bevboy0223 »

I'm running vista on one box and ubuntu 10.4 on the other box, plus on my asus eee.

I'll try the new boot directory later on today.

Thank you.

Bev

bevboy0223

#15 Post by bevboy0223 »

Can you post a screenshot of the output of the script?

----

Sorry, but which script? The one in windows, or the one in ubuntu? The windows one did run and told me that the usb stick was now bootable.

In running it in ubuntu, nothing happened when running it regularly. No window popped up or anything. It just ignored me. Running it in terminal, a window popped up for a split second, but I could't read it, so I opened up a terminal session and made my way to the usb stick and ran bootinst.sh manually. That's when it echoed the contents of the shell script to the screen. I wrote out the error messages that revealed, last evening.

I'll download the boot.zip file and will try it later on today.

Thanks again.

Bev

jemimah

#16 Post by jemimah »

bevboy0223 wrote:Can you post a screenshot of the output of the script?

----

Sorry, but which script? The one in windows, or the one in ubuntu? The windows one did run and told me that the usb stick was now bootable.

Bev
The windows one. I'm mostly interested in what it says before it tells you it's bootable.

bevboy0223

#17 Post by bevboy0223 »

I am at work and don't have that usb stick on my person. I can't tell you what script says exactly until this evening, but it's trying to find the drive letter for the usb stick and decides, rightly, that it's drive J in my case.

Then, it states that the usb stick is bootable.

Is this enough information, of do you want the exact wording?

Bev

jemimah

#18 Post by jemimah »

I'd like the exact wording. I want to know if any error messages are generated. Although I haven't got much chance of fixing the Windows version. I'm not much of a Window's programmer and I only have an XP box to test on.

bevboy0223

#19 Post by bevboy0223 »

I will provide the exact wording this evening.

I will try the install again, with the new boot folder, this afternoon and report on my success or failure this evening as well.

Thanks for your help, patience, and good humour.

Bev

bevboy0223

#20 Post by bevboy0223 »

Hi. I tried to make the usb stick bootable by running both bootinst.sh and bootinst.bat in linux and windows vista respectively. Neither worked. I had the same error message as I reported for the linux run last evening.

And, attached, is the error message when I tried running it in vista just now.

How come there is no iso? It is child's play to make a usb stick bootable, copying and iso to the stick via a usb utility. Why can't you do the same for puppeee?

Is this whole exercise worth the effort? I hope so.

Bev
Attachments
Bootrec.jpg
Thanks for your help.

Bev
(193.13 KiB) Downloaded 200 times