Puppy lose connection? after request to renew? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
nooby

#16 Post by nooby »

I studied German in high school and never used it afterwards and so now it is lost.
Yes same here. We could chose between German, French and Spanish.

I should not have chosen German. Spanish works best internationally and USA has a huge population of spanish speaking people and the whole of South America too. French could be cool to learn to read all the Post modern stuff in the original language :) But I am more into modern than post modern.

You are so right about giving back to other newbies what I learn here.

That is very embarrassing with me that due to me having so badly organised brain I am not good at it,

But lo and behold one guy actually wrote and thanked me because my questions did teach him to do saving of nimblex in frugal install and none else that me had asked the developer if it was possible which it was.

I even got the developer of Vector Soho to think up how one best do it for his baby.

So even if I am totally nobody at computer I managed to help at least one person.

That is why I am at it with Linux Mint. I write from it now. it has survived three or four reboots now and many hours of usage so it will be interesting to try to figure out why it then suddenly fails.

Must be some kind of update it does in a schedule or something.

Ot it could be when I fiddled with the saving or changing user.

so now I will test what happen if I never change anything on it and see if it was me or the software on its own acting up.

Puppy never act up like that so hopefully I can find out what goes wrong when it does.

I want to save but they say it is built to not be able to save due to being a live user log in.

Does that mean I have to get myself some SDK and do a remaster of source and there allow saving?

Such are very difficult to do is it not?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

OverDrive

#17 Post by OverDrive »

Yes, I wish I studied Spanish too. I wanted to be a engineer and my father told me a lot of the foundation of engineering words are from Latin or German. Oh well....
I want to save but they say it is built to not be able to save due to being a live user log in.

Does that mean I have to get myself some SDK and do a remaster of source and there allow saving?
Is this in regards to mint? If it is, I'm sorry I don't have any experience with it. Honestly, Puppy has worked so well for me, I have had no need to look for another distro....

OverDrive
Instant Puppy Fan!!!

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

That is an inportant warning. Unfortunately I am not computer savvy enough just now to implement it but as soon as I get I will do as you suggest.

we ahve the problem of me being root too in puppy?

i barely get what it means so I ahve much to catch up learning.

Thanks for being patient with me. I tested linux mint for some 5 to 7 hours today with many reboots to see if it acted up but it survived to be in frugal install and now testing Lighthouse puppy

OverDrive

#19 Post by OverDrive »

Nooby, When you load up Puppy again, Starting a firewall is very simple:
Click Menu
Click Setup
Click Linux-Firewall Wizard
Click automagic
Click OK

That should be all you need to do to set it up. That will close basically everything not needed for internet web browsing.

If you need to open something for P2P file sharing or some other non-standard service then you have to go the custom route.

Do a search on this site to find how other people have done it. I use a router so I don't need to use this module, So I have no experience with it.

I've tried lighthouse, But I keep coming back to puppy with a few of my own minor tweaks.

It's just so "light and sweet"... :D

OverDrive
Instant Puppy Fan!!!

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

yes taht was easy. I thought I had to know which ports and such.

I have some 5 or 6 puppies to do it on though. Tidy up the protection.

disciple

#21 Post by disciple »

Hmmm.
Rather than killing dhcpcd then running it again, I think you should be able to use the -n option to force it to renew the lease.
And maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I don't think there should be any need to run it at a certain interval - if you need to try reducing the lease time you should just run dhcpcd with the -l option.
http://www.digipedia.pl/man/doc/view/dhcpcd-bin.8.html
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

nooby

#22 Post by nooby »

Thanks, I try to google swedish forums if they tell about this problem with out isp. The isp says they have no support for linux only Windows.

you could be right.

My wild guess is that it is a kind of acknowledge request. They want to assure that the computer is active and still wants to access their service or else they give the IP to somebody else or put it on hold until I ask for it in a proper way. that is how I get it. But could be wrong.

gyro

#23 Post by gyro »

Hi,

"dhcpcd" should handle this automatically.

In Puppy 431, "dhcpcd" logs what it's doing to "/var/log/messages". So could someone who has a problem with "dhcpcd", please execute the following code at a console, after a problem has occurred,

Code: Select all

cat /var/log/messages | grep dhcpcd > /root/xx.txt
and then post the contents of "/root/xx.txt"

gyro

nooby

#24 Post by nooby »

Hi Gyro!

Since February 2010 I have changed from Puppy 431 to Quirky 1.00 which have Simple Network Something and that one solved the problem for me.

But there exists puppy derivatives that don't make use of SNS set up.

gyro

dhcpcd v5.1.5 for puppy 431

#25 Post by gyro »

nooby wrote:Since February 2010 I have changed from Puppy 431 to Quirky 1.00 which have Simple Network Something and that one solved the problem for me.
I'm not convinced that it's SNS.
In all the puppies I have seen, there is a program called "dhcpcd" which has only 2 functions, to get an IP lease from a dhcp server and to keep on renewing that lease from the same dhcp server.

My conclusion is that the old version of dhcpcd in puppy 431, failed to renew the lease, but the much newer version of dhcpcd in Quirky did.
So I have attached a pet containing dhcpcd v5.1.5, compiled on puppy 431, (same version as in Quirky 1.2).

Perhaps someone might revert to their problem situation, install this pet and see if it fixes the problem.

gyro
Attachments
dhcpcd-5.1.5.pet
dhcpcd v5.1.5, compiled on Puppy 431.
(61.33 KiB) Downloaded 300 times

nooby

#26 Post by nooby »

I guess I should write solved to this one then.

Good that you think about us with this very unique situation.

I guess most users never have this problem. So much appreciated you did care about it.