videos don't work from http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/

Booting, installing, newbie
tryer

videos don't work from http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/

#1 Post by tryer »

I am a newbe and totally not technical. I have installed Puppy succesfully. I tried to look videos from the website www.uitzendinggemist.nl, but it didn't work with Seamonkey

I tried to install mplayer with Puppy Package Manager, but it didn' t work, the view was freezing, and I had to start Puppy with reboot.

How can I see the videos ? Please simple answers I am not technical at all.

I also tried to install Firefox with Puppy Package manager, but it didn' t work either.

Who can help me ?

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Hmm a very windows orientated site...I could not even get a link to try and play ...the page wanted to offer silverlight which is no go on linux believe me.

Unfortunately the site decides you cannot play their material even though you probably can. I would complain to them about their restrictive practices

mike

tryer

#3 Post by tryer »

in Ubuntu I can see the videos of this site with Firefox and add-on VLC (Mediaplayerconnectivity). Who can help me ?

trapster

#4 Post by trapster »

trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

tubby

#5 Post by tubby »

Works ok for me with FF and Mplayer and media player connectivity.
The mplayer screen grab only worked while mplayer was running, sorry about the blank screen.

tryer

#6 Post by tryer »

After installing Firefox, I tried in FF to manage the preferences startpage: When I do so, getting Bon Echo Preferences, the system freezes, and I have to reboot.

The same I had with installing mplayer. Why this ?

tryer

#7 Post by tryer »

when I try to install programms, the system is easily freezing, I get mad !!!!!!!!!!

tubby

#8 Post by tubby »

Let us have more details, what puppy are you using, where are downloading the software you are installing, do you reboot or fixmenus after installing software?.
Also check this link out, same applies to your problem.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50732

tryer

#9 Post by tryer »

I 'll give you more details:
I am using Puppy 4.3.1, I think the last distribute.

I have installed it on my harddisk, using a menu.lst with other systems. My computer is using an AMD Phenom Quadcore 9950 processor and 4000 MB Memory, and a modern Graphical Card. I amusing reasonable fast ADSL-internetconnection.

I can use bigger systems like Windows and Ubuntu, but I like Puppy, because it' s simple and fast.

Up to now I downloaded programms from Puppy Package Manager, i.c. . Mplayer. After installing Mplayer, the system freezed immidiately when I clicked on the pictogram, to start the program. Because I couldn't do anything I had to power off the system and reboot again, ignoring Xorg. After that Mplayer isn't starting anymore.

After installing Firefox, I wanted to install the startpage by Edit- preferences, Bon echo preferences, the system freezed again, I could reboot and after again ignoring Xorg, the system worked again.
I tried to install add0n-Mediaplayerconnectivity, but the system freezed when I tried to install it.

What am I doing wrong ?

tubby

#10 Post by tubby »

Download and install Mplayer plugin and mplayer codecs full using PPM, reboot and then open a console window and type mplayer.
If all is well you should see a list of options to use with mplayer, if not there should be error messages.
Where did you download your FF from?.

tryer

#11 Post by tryer »

I installed Puppy again, and I installed Mplayer, plug-in, and the Codecs using PPM. Again the system froze I had to reboot and ignore.
I wrote in the Console mplayer and I got this:

Mplayer dev-SVN-rUNKNOWN-4.2.2. 2000-2007 Mplayer Team
CPU: AMD Phenom 9950 Quadcore Processor
3DNow supported but disabled
3DNowExt supported but disabled
CPUflags: MMX 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SS2: 1
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions : MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2
115 audo & 237 video codecs
Usage: mplayer (options) (URL) lpath/)filename

Basic options: (complete list in the man page)

and then many options.

I installed FF from Puppy Package manager

tubby

#12 Post by tubby »

Mplayer looks like it is installed ok so maybe your FF maybe the problem, missing libs or any security you have installed.
Do you have flashplayer installed, if not you can download it via PPM, i have found that the latest version posted on this web site crashes one of my installations but version 9*** works ok.
Another thing to look for is if you are using the media connectivity addon is to check that it is not pointing to Gmplayer instead of mplayer in /usr/bin.

tryer

#13 Post by tryer »

I succeeded in being able to look to "www.Uitzendinggemist.nl". I downloaded some flashplayers from PPM and installed Firefox.

After installing Mediaplayerconnectivity, the system was freezing again, but after rebooting, I could manually fill in the mediaplayers in mediaplayerconnectivity with Gxine. And so Ican look now at TV-programms that were on Dutch television.

Thanks for your help, Tubby !

tubby

#14 Post by tubby »

Glad you managed to figure it out, do not be afraid to try other programs that have an interest to you because there will be someone on here to help if you run into trouble.