XP-installer for Puppy 1.0.7 / 1.0.8r1

News, happenings
MU

XP-installer for Puppy 1.0.7 / 1.0.8r1

#1 Post by MU »

This version can be used for future versions of Puppy, too.
It has a small entry, where you can enter the release to install.

The current Puppyversion is 1.0.8r1

Try it just if you have a XP-restore-CD, as in maybe 1 of 300 cases people reported a damaged XP (though it seems the damage resulted from manual changes they made after installation to boot.ini).

Download (2.3 MB)
http://dotpups.de/puppy-releases/1.0.7/ ... -setup.exe

If Puppy says it cannot find usr_cram.fs when it boots, click on the "install patch"-button.
That will download and install a patched image.gz, that forces Puppy to search on C:\

IMPORTANT

When you run "Defrag" in Windows, youu must run "run Grubinstall" again, because Defrag removes Grubs entries.

So do not uninstall the installer when it created Puppy.

Info on older versions:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=3534

To remove Puppy follow these instructions:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=5857

Mark
Last edited by MU on Wed 22 Mar 2006, 05:33, edited 5 times in total.

raffy

New PC

#2 Post by raffy »

This is an excellent service that you offer Windows users, Mark.

How about for users of brand-new PCs? Imagine having a pristine C3 (800 Mhz) box with 128 MB RAM and 40 Gb hard disk (VGA and audio are integrated in motherboard). Do something like pop in the CD and go Puppy!

MU

#3 Post by MU »

Thanks Raffy, but I am not shure if I understand your suggestion.
Do you suggest, I should sell computers?
I tried that many years ago, but there was no chance, people prefered buying at discounters.
Or do you think of a special CD-setup?
What should it be able to do, what Puppy cannot do?
The installer is written in wxBasic, so you easily can add modifications to main.wxb (which is a script, not compiled code).
wxBasic is available for Linux, Windows and MacOSX, the small installer-setup already includes the interpreter and a small compiled exe that runs"wxbasic.exe main.wxb".

Mark

raffy

A CD-based setup

#4 Post by raffy »

To your question:
Or do you think of a special CD-setup?
I answer "Yes".

Something like Red Hat's Anaconda installer was already mentioned in this Forum a while back. Sorry, I still have to learn wxbasic, so can't handle that for now :)

MU

#5 Post by MU »

If I remember well, that was an app started with autorun.exe when you insert the CD.
It simply would reboot the computer?
I think Mandrake had something like this years ago, when there was no good hardware-detection.
It grabbed Hardware-information from the Windows-Registry, stored it.
Then it rebooted, and the Mandrake-installer used the stored information for the setup.

But Puppy won't need that due to it's wizards.

Something nice would be a "welcome to Puppy" if you insert the CD in a running Windows, but this could be a simple autorun -entry launching a Webpage.
Didn't rarsa made a zip for that?

However if there are real further ideas, we should start a new thread for that :-)

Mark

Blutack

Grub Loader driver issues?

#6 Post by Blutack »

Hello! I am a newbie who just installed using your great thing. However I am booting to the grub prompt. At said prompt I have tried running "kernel /puppylinux1.0.7/vmlinuz" only to be greeted with error 11 - cannot mount selected partition. When I try root= /dev/ram0 I get unknown device. I had a look and there is no folder called grub or any files other than menu, stage 1 and stage 2 in the boot folder, or in the puppylinux1.0.7 folder. I have tried reinstalling grub but to no avail. Please help! - I love puppy. I am confused as there are no folders for grub and yet it seems to run. Is it missing NTFS drivers because the folder is missing? I am running XP pro, SP2, P3 800mhz and XP installer 1.0.7 with standard puppy mozilla 1.0.7. Puppy boots perfectly off the CD. Many many thanks - as I mentioned I am a total linux newbie and am now stuck...

MU

#7 Post by MU »

Please open c:\boot\menu.lst in notepad, and copy/paste the content here.

Mark

Blutack

The requested code...

#8 Post by Blutack »

default 0
timeout 10
title Puppy Linux 1.0.7
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /puppylinux1.0.7/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PFILE=pup001-none
initrd /puppylinux1.0.7/image.gz

boot

I have preserved the formatting, just pasted straight out of notepad. Also I have tried at the grub prompt making root (hd0,0) - I get error parsing number. If i just type root I get something like "hd0 - Unknown file system, using whole disk"
Many thanks again for your quick reply and help.

MU

#9 Post by MU »

Do you have more than 1 Windows-drives?
If yes, look if there is a folder d:\winnt or d:\windows.

In that case, grubinstall does not work.
You would need a "real" grub then.
You might try to install it from a Puppy-Live-CD, but on my system (my second computer) that failed.
So I installed Mandriva-Linux in addition, that installed a working grub.

Blutack

Nope

#10 Post by Blutack »

Nope, just a fresh formatted NTFS C drive. No others at all. 2 IDE CD-ROMS, D and E and a floppy A. Its like grub isn't loading any drivers. I don't know anything about linux but when I boot puppy from CD it mounts my hardrive fine, calling it /dev/hda1. If I type root that into the grub prompt I get unknown device string. Could I manually boot into puppy from the grub? Thanks muchly.

Blutack

Extra

#11 Post by Blutack »

Just confirmed above in Disk Management.
C: Type basic, file system NTFS, system disk

MU

#12 Post by MU »

you should not get a grub-prompt, but a menu that allows to select puppy.
So something went wrong, but I don't havean idea, what it might be...
I'm sorry :roll: :oops:

Blutack

No worries

#13 Post by Blutack »

Thanks a load anyway. You got me command lining already! I've only had puppy for 2 days. Its a great thing for newbies. Can I just ask, what files should be present. I have the following...

C:\pup001
C:\usr_cram.fs
C:\boot\menu.lst
C:\boot\stage1
C:\boot\stage2
C:\puppylinux1.0.7\image.gz
C:\puppylinux1.0.7\vmlinuz

Thanks again, probs I downloaded "Critical Update K9231 - Running linux based systems on your computer could cause serious damage. This update will prevent any of this malicious code running on your computer..." ...although saying that, I tried shutting down Microsoft Antispyware reinstalling, still no joy.
If you are stumped could you give me some options for other ways to install Puppy, without partitioning or running off CD? Thankyou!

MU

#14 Post by MU »

The files you listed are all the files needed.

But there must be something specific in your win-installation, that prevents grub from working correct.

You might search the forum forgrub.

You will see many threads with different versions.
You might find some tricks there.
Before you search,try one of these:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HowToUsePuppy
especially
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HardDiskInstall

Blutack

Ahhhhhhhh....

#15 Post by Blutack »

I think i have found the problem. Puppy refuses to mount its pup001 file on my HD despite my having downloaded it and it being in the proper place (erro, partition does not exist or suchlike). Pmount also refuses to mount my HD, I have to use MUT. If I open CFdisk or when Puppy is booting it recognises my drive as FAT32 (Vfat) and NOT NTFS. I reformatted my FAT32 drive to NTFS as part of my XP install and it looks like something was left to trick puppy into thinking it to be FAT32. Any ideas? I've had a search around but cannot find any mention of this on the Wiki or forum. Who should I ask? Thanks a lot for your time.

Blutack

Sorted!

#16 Post by Blutack »

MU, it's done! On install bl**dy windows had gone and reformatted the fat32 drive to NTFS - without changing something in the partition table. This seemed to mean only complex drive detection stuff that I tried (MUT, QTParted) recognised it as NTFS. Specifically grub was recognising it as unknown file system. Never trust a paid programmer to do a free programmers work..anyway solution is to run cfdisk, change the disk type to NTFS from FAT32 and then "write the partition table" (backup first). It was kinda late at night and I will never forget the amazing feeling of "PuppyLinux1.0.7, uncompressing the kernel.."
Thanks a load for your help. Shuda known it wasn't any Linux problem...

MU

#17 Post by MU »

Fine, thanks for your report :D
Mark

Mr Doolie2

Re: Grub Loader driver issues?

#18 Post by Mr Doolie2 »

Blutack wrote:Hello! I am a newbie who just installed using your great thing. However I am booting to the grub prompt
Same problem here but I think I know what MIGHT be the problem.
I use to use a poor man's install with Wingrub, installing everything by hand. If I did this on a clean new install of my Win200 all ran well AS LONG AS I LEFT THE FILES ALONE! As soon as I ran an optimizer on the drive Wingrub popped up all kinda of errors like "Can't find menu.lst" and "sector out of range" and "Bios can not read sector out of range"....something like that.

It seems that if your system puts the files and the boot folder too high on the HDD wingrub can't find them. I would assume that you are installing Puppy on a "used" copy of XP and there are too many files for the boot and such to be put low enough on the drive.

MU

#19 Post by MU »

When you run "defrag", you must re-install this version of grub. No big deal with the installer.
To avoid that, install a "real" grub (to the master bootrecord), but that's a bit more complicated (see the many threads in the forum).
The current solution was intended to make installation as easy as possible (2-4 mouseclicks), but it has the mentioned nasty small disadvantage.

Mark

ICPUG

#20 Post by ICPUG »

MU

I bet you knew I was going to appear here, after our discussion on XP Installer for 1.0.6.

An alternative to installing full grub, to avoid the defrag problem, is to install the grldr file from grub4dos or Wingrub. More details can be found in my posts on this thread:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... 4&start=16
It is not complicated and nor does it play with the MBR like a full grub install.

ICPUG