Stjerm - Dropdown Terminal Emulator

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
aragon

Stjerm - Dropdown Terminal Emulator

#1 Post by aragon »

Home: http://code.google.com/p/stjerm-terminal-emulator/
Version: 0.13
Stjerm is a GTK+-based drop-down terminal emulator similar to the consoles used in PC games such as Quake and Half-Life 2. Stjerm sets itself apart from similar programs by providing a minimalistic interface combined with a small file size, lightweight memory usage and easy integration with composite window managers such as Compiz.
As stjerm needs a starter-script, i've renamed the bin to stjerm-bin and called the script stjerm. To alter the look and feel, you'll have to edit

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/stjerm
Sterm is started (and stopped) from menu => utility. it runs in the background and will be 'dropped' down by pressing 'F11'. this could also be altered in /usr/bin/stjerm.

Needs vte from here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 109#363109

Compiled and tested in 4.31.

aragon
Attachments
stjerm.png
(178.93 KiB) Downloaded 1824 times
stjerm-0.13.pet
(26.59 KiB) Downloaded 969 times

aragon

#2 Post by aragon »

One thing i forgot:

It does not have to be that 'ugly'. You could also have background-images, fake-transparency...

doc is at /usr/share/doc . remember you'll have to change the settings in /usr/bin/stjerm.

aragon

`f00

#3 Post by `f00 »

I like it. Not clear on how to start other tabs and a few things (but then I'm pretty much a lightweight with cli or even keycommands for that matter), like trying 'stjerm -help' made it terminate itself (but it did start arora and I can edit the html help a bit to suit, Composer is good at that). But for most everything else it's real handy and looks good. Not really sure that it does a true translucency (Jwm-beta with kcompmgr will show a serial focus-trans with overlaid windows) from the little I tried it there, but it's quite good at automatically getting out of the way if focus isn't held.

Nope, not ugly at all - easy to preset the options for as many different looks/ways as you like (but only one may be on-deck at a time, I believe .. one of the reasons it'd be an advantage to have tabs like mrxvt). I'll figure it out soon enough, probably.

aragon

#4 Post by aragon »

`f00,

Code: Select all

Ctrl+Shift+T => new tab
Ctrl+Shift+W => close actual tab
the 'ugly'-post was because of my grey-preset.

translucency/transparency:
the doc says, that is uses real transparency if a compmgr is found, else uses fake-transparency.

yes '--help' and "--info" terminates the app, seems to be a bug. another one is, that if you toggle to fullscreen (right-click option) you can't toggle back to the previous size, it allways stays in fullscreen until you restart.

aragon

harii4

#5 Post by harii4 »

My htop states that 3 of the stjerm-bin running?
How do i fix? :?
Attachments
wtf.jpg
(56.36 KiB) Downloaded 1272 times
3.01 Fat Free / Fire Hydrant featherweight/ TXZ_pup / 431JP2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace and Justice are two sides of the same coin.

`f00

#6 Post by `f00 »

multiple pids is normal for some apps (try tree view in htop to see the relationship) - nothing to 'fix', really .. that's just how it works. ipager's another one that does basically the same thing. Wine apps generally have a slew of 'support' when loaded .. and so on.

Other than being a bit 'heavy' for a terminal emulator, stjerm's a nice handy alternative (yup, it does do tabs :)

harii4

#7 Post by harii4 »

multiple pids is normal for some apps (try tree view in htop to see the relationship) - nothing to 'fix', really .. that's just how it works. ipager's another one that does basically the same thing. Wine apps generally have a slew of 'support' when loaded .. and so on.

Other than being a bit 'heavy' for a terminal emulator, stjerm's a nice handy alternative (yup, it does do tabs
Thank you -thats good to know.
Now i need to see how heavy is yeahconsole + xterm vs. stjerm. 8)
3.01 Fat Free / Fire Hydrant featherweight/ TXZ_pup / 431JP2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace and Justice are two sides of the same coin.