Will the Devx Module work with Assembly language?

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
Kayotica

Will the Devx Module work with Assembly language?

#1 Post by Kayotica »

Hi, long time user of Puppy Linux, new to the forums.

Just need to ask, the Devx Module allows for Puppy to compile C/C++ programs, even though it takes some tweaking and skill that i have yet to master. however i know it can do it but i am shady on the topic of if it can double as an Assembler,

If Puppy Linux +Devx can Assemble Assembly then how dose one go about doing it is my question.

Thanks in Advance.

G0XAN

#2 Post by G0XAN »

The devx module includes the gcc C/C++ compiler, and therefore also the assembler and linker.

The linker is called "as" (not "gas" as you might expect). You can check you have it after setting up devx by using "which as". The answer should be "/usr/bin/as"

The easiest way to get devx up & running is to use the appropriate sfs, just set it up to mount at start-up and off you go. If you are running a full install it's a little more complicated, but if you follow the step-by-step instructions here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22701
then it's fairly easy.

Hope this helps
Gary

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

Also, the devx .sfs file used to also come with the nasm assembler...not sure whether it still does?

Kayotica

thanks

#4 Post by Kayotica »

Awesome-o, thanks guys that exactly what i needed.

well have a good holidays.

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

You could also check the Fasm site, as it will also run on puppy, and they have a dedicated linux subsection on their forum.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Yes, the devx includes 'nasm'.

For the latest Quirky, 003, I have also thrown in 'yasm'.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]