Boot stops after optical disc

Booting, installing, newbie
bondenesn

Boot stops after optical disc

#1 Post by bondenesn »

updated a puppy 4,2 to latest 4.3(downloaded today)

I will remind that i did a reboot from sda1.. then i tried to surf in on farmville in facebook.. without any plugins installed. then it locked up so i had to push reset button.
then this subject hapens.

I tried to update grub osv with installprogram from iso cd but that didńt work.
where shall i look?

I got a # prompt after bootseqence checked optical units sucsessfully.
any hints? (im a litle bit novice in linux:( )

of topic: this computer i suposed to be a server in a private lan with mostly win vista and w7 pcś. I would like some help to design a simple smb.conf file. cos i cant reach puppy from my w7 but i can collect files from other shared PCs using puppy.

steve_s

Re: Boot stops after optical disc

#2 Post by steve_s »

bondenesn wrote:updated a puppy 4,2 to latest 4.3(downloaded today)

I will remind that i did a reboot from sda1.. then i tried to surf in on farmville in facebook.. without any plugins installed. then it locked up so i had to push reset button.
then this subject hapens.

I tried to update grub osv with installprogram from iso cd but that didńt work.
where shall i look?

I got a # prompt after bootseqence checked optical units sucsessfully.
any hints? (im a litle bit novice in linux:( )

of topic: this computer i suposed to be a server in a private lan with mostly win vista and w7 pcś. I would like some help to design a simple smb.conf file. cos i cant reach puppy from my w7 but i can collect files from other shared PCs using puppy.
If you come back to # then that means it has rebooted 'cause there was an error with the "X" desktop (Unlike Windows, Linux runs commands and etc. separate from X. X, e.g. all the gui interface that looks like a regular desktop, runs on top of Linux). So, when you get that prompt, I would type "startx" and see if you get your desktop back. if not, then it probably will give you some instructions, like "run xorgwizard" to get your desktop setting fixed. So, at #, you would then type xorgwizard and follow what it says.

As far as Windows reading Puppy, that is hard to do. If you are talking about Puppy installed as a full install onto a partition of it's own that is formatted to something like ext2 then Windows would need an ext2 driver to be able to read that drive, something like this. 8) Hope that helps...

bondenesn

#3 Post by bondenesn »

Hi! thankyou for a good answer, it seems to work with the x problem but further tests will be reqired i gusess 8)

about server app im greateful for that tip even thou it didn't work with my w7rc laptop.
But i still think i need a well running samba.. One thing could be to rtfm :oops:

steve_s

#4 Post by steve_s »

bondenesn wrote:Hi! thankyou for a good answer, it seems to work with the x problem but further tests will be reqired i gusess 8)

about server app im greateful for that tip even thou it didn't work with my w7rc laptop.
But i still think i need a well running samba.. One thing could be to rtfm :oops:
Glad that first part worked! As far as the other, it depends a great deal on whether we are talking about linux as a full install on a separate partition or a frugal install on just about anything...a frugal install you would need Puppy probably to open up the sfs file, and you wouldn't need the ext2 file driver as it may or may not be on a linux partition...