Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 31 Oct 2014, 15:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
lameSMBxplorer v0.2.2 beta
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 7 of 8 [112 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
ejb

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar 2010, 13:47    Post subject: NASLITE problem  

Patriot,

Thanks for the reply. I did some additional digging into the naslite logs
last night. I think my problem relates to the old version of naslite I was using.
I downloaded the current version, installed it and everything is now working
perfectly.

Sorry for the fire drill. Thanks for a great tool.
moonguard12

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr 2010, 11:48    Post subject: lameSMBxplorer-0.2.1b.pet  

This is working on eeepc 700 with Lighthouse connecting to local network Vista Public share, no user no pwd. Pnethood was not seeing the share. Thank you.
toomuchcomputertime

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr 2010, 10:12    Post subject:  

This looks very interesting, did I miss the download link? Where can I download the latest version? I saw the alpha in an earlier post, but you are talking about a beta version?

Thanks.
Patriot

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr 2010, 12:18    Post subject:  

Hmmm .....

toomuchcomputertime wrote:
This looks very interesting, did I miss the download link? .....

It's on the first page of this thread, just scroll down a little bit more for v0.2.1 beta (combined pet of lameSMBxplorer and lameSMBqmount). Can't miss it ... Kindly let me know how it goes ...

Also my thanks goes to everyone who has provided all the recent feedbacks ...

Rgds
toomuchcomputertime

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr 2010, 14:02    Post subject:  

Thanks, I have downloaded the most recent version. Pnethood has not been working for me. I used to use Linethood (I think) but that has not been working either.

Thanks
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr 2010, 16:48    Post subject:  

I recompiled the main samba binaries (3.0.37) and cut the size about in half, but don't have a way to test them at the moment

... just expand the tarball in the /opt/samba/bin directory (if for some reason it doesn't work just get the originals from /initrd/pup_ro2/opt/samba/bin)
samba-bins.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  samba-bins.tar.gz 
Filesize  562.69 KB 
Downloaded  525 Time(s) 

Firewave

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jul 2010, 15:11    Post subject:  

I ran into a few issues with lameSMBqmount on Quirky:
- trying to mount the root share (equivalent to \\machinename in Windows) using "/" isn't working (I had this working with another Linux system at a time)
- you cannot remove that non-working "/" entry from the list of shares
- when you loose your network connection it will start to hang in a loop it seems and eats up CPU until you fix your network connection. It also prevents the shutdown of the machine (share set on automount)
gcmartin

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul 2010, 04:26    Post subject: Using SAMBA in Puppy and Derivatives
Subject description: SAMBA is NOT currently implemented fully in any Puppies

@Firewave, Just saw your request and though i'd offer a simple explanation.

Currently, you CANNOT create and share a folder or a file from Puppy ton any Windows machines using Microsoft/IBM CIFS technology (that what SAMBA does) because Samba appears to have been inadvertently broken in a prior release.

This is one of the drawbacks with Puppy on a LAN network that also has Windows machines.

It is my understanding that this will be addressed as soon as the current version 5 products are upgraded over the next month or 2..

Once this is done, Puppies will have FULL functionality comparable to and beyond any Windows desktop.

This post, by me, to help you, is NOT to be construed as an official statement...but, from a couple of sources, this is my understanding.

I, too, am waiting for an upcoming release that does NOT contain the current crippled version of SAMBA (that instead, has the fully working version of SAMBA that has not had its guts ripped out),so that I can begin work in this area to build a "howto" document for those who want to share information from Puppy with the LAN users including Windows as well as Linux LAN users.

disciple

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul 2010, 20:31    Post subject:  

gcmartin - are you sure Firewave's problem has anything to do with yours? It sounds like their problem is specifically with mounting a particular samba share from Puppy using lameSMBqmount, whereas your problem is with sharing folders in the first place (although I'm not even sure from your description whether your problem is only with Windows clients, or with Linux ones as well).

Anyway:
gcmartin wrote:
Currently...

What is currently?
The latest version of uPup?
The latest version of Quirky? (N.B. Firewave is using an unspecified version of Quirky)
Which previous versions?

Quote:
Samba appears to have been inadvertently broken in a prior release

In what way is it broken? Presumably you have a link to somewhere this is explained? It must be fixable (maybe simply by installing a working samba server package instead of whatever one you installed... which I guess was from the package manager?)

- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
disciple

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul 2010, 20:43    Post subject:  

Firewave wrote:
- trying to mount the root share (equivalent to \\machinename in Windows)

I think you might be confused... you've confused me, anyway. In Windows you need to share particular drives or folders - since when was there a share that was just \\machinename?
Are you sure you didn't just have a filer that browsed Samba shares in the same way as windows? (i.e. a filer that shows you the computers on the network, and you can click on a computer to see its shares and click on a share to automatically mount it. This does not mean that a computer was shared as \\machinename - it just means that the functionality of a program like LameSMBxplorer was built into the filer.

- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul 2010, 21:39    Post subject:  

@gcmartin: While you are waiting, perhaps you should test the samba server package that BarryK built for you. It's here.
Patriot

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul 2010, 12:02    Post subject:  

Hmmm .....

gcmartin wrote:
........ because Samba appears to have been inadvertently broken in a prior release. ........

I believe a quick correction to the statement is in order here ... As far as I'm aware of and the way I understand it, the samba packages on puppy 4 series were split into two packages, i) the samba client package ii) the full samba server package.

The samba client package comes standard with any existing recent puppy to keep down the iso size and the full samba package is available for separate installs for those who needs it. This allows browse/access to windows shares as a standard while samba file sharing remains as an installable option. I believe BarryK opted for this and I can understand why it was done this way.

However, to say that samba is "inadvertently" broken as in "utterly not working" is incorrect. It is actually "broken" into separate packages for different requirements.

FYI, the size of the full samba server package is roughly 20MB compressed pet (valid for samba v3.0 series) while recent samba v3.5 server packages already exceeds 30MB compressed. In contrast, the samba client package is under 2MB compressed which is a viable option for inclusion to the iso.

lameSMBxplorer was designed (with ideas liberally taken from pnethood) and is currently positioned to allow quick GUI based access to windows shares (using the least resistance path Wink ) ... I hope to be able to continue improving lameSMBxplorer as soon as time permits ...

BTW, Firewave's situation could probably be a parsing oversight in SMBqmount. I will need more information on exactly what he/she is trying to achieve there.

Rgds
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug 2010, 00:20    Post subject:  

Having a problem with lameSMBxplorer v0.2.1 beta browser in gray's Quirky NOP 1.2, it don't seem to scan long enough to find anything no matter what I do, the quick connect works fine if I tell it the connections, I ran it from terminal to see if that would give me some clue as to what was happening, here is the result.

# lameSMBxplorer
ScanNBT:
ScanNBT: 127.0.0.1|<unknown>||<unknown>|
127.0.0.2|<unknown>||<unknown>|
127.0.0.3|<unknown>||<unknown>|
127.0.0.4|<unknown>||<unknown>|

and the list goes on, finds nothing, my network is setup to use ip addresses in 10.1.1.1 - 255 range subnet of 255.0.0.0, is there anything I can change that will get it to work Question Pnethood use to work ok if the scan time was set to 3, any less it would fail to find anything, any help would be appreciated.
Patriot

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug 2010, 06:27    Post subject: released: lameSMBqmount v0.2.2 beta  

Hmmm .....

This bugfix release corrects a couple of issues with the network address parser.

changelog for lameSMBxplorer v0.2.2 beta:
- bugfix (lameSMBxplorer): properly exclude localhost IP address
- bugfix (lameSMBxplorer): correctly assign private netmask classing (A/B/C)

The above logic errors was discovered based on the bug report posted by Geoffrey.

@Geoffrey,
Kindly test the latest beta and let me know how it goes.

Rgds
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug 2010, 10:44    Post subject:  

Patriot,
Still no luck, I ran it from the terminal but this showed no output at all this time, the scan run for about 2 seconds then brings up the GUI which finds nothing, this seems quick to me, tried this on two pc's running Quirky NOP 1.2, both the same result, pnethood always took some time to find connections which are all static ip address's on all pc's and nas, is there a way to make it scan the network for a longer period the same as pnethood does.

lameSMBqmount still works fine, mounts all the shares instantly, is there anything else I can do that will give a indication of what is happening to help sort out this problem.

Geoffrey
Page 7 of 8 [112 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: