lameSMBxplorer v0.2.2 beta

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
eden6000

#76 Post by eden6000 »

HI Patriot, there is a bug (I suppose) in latest 0.1.8 beta: if I double right click on a share it answers "unable to mount ....; please check you username/password", both parameters are regularly saved, infact if I double left-click, connect and mount, everything works.
Ah, I didn't try this in previous versions, so I don't know if it used to work...

Patriot

#77 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

eden6000,

Thanks for the report ... but it's actually not a bug. Global username/password is not used for fast mount-n-explore. The reason is to have a standard mount behavior for protected shares, so protected shares needs to be mounted using the normal mount dialog first. Once mounted, fast mount-n-explore (right double-click) will work fine.

HairyWill asked me about this recently and I believe it's better to leave it this way (at least for now) for the more common situations where protected shares in a decentralized peer-to-peer that would need different credentials (as the global credential is only good for one centralized resources).

Only protected shares have this limitation. Fast mount-n-explore works fine with open shares ... In the future, I will figure out a better way to handle multiple credentials and remove this limitation ...

Rgds

Patriot

released: lameSMBxplorer v0.2.0 beta

#78 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

lameSMBxplorer v0.2.0 beta introduces a new add-on utility: lameSMBqmount and the automount script, rc.smbqmsvc. While they were originally planned as a plug-in addon, it has been re-designed as a standalone utility to provide functionality in areas where lameSMBxplorer could not easily provide without gaining excess cellulite ... lameSMBqmount is meant to allow quickmounting without any scanning function. It also provides the interface for selecting a required shares for automounting on startup.

For this release, they are combined into a single package. In the future, they may be released as individual packages if there's a need ... Kindly go to the first page of this thread to give it a test run. I'd appreciate any input, bugs, feedbacks and suggestions that you may have ...

Rgds

eden6000

#79 Post by eden6000 »

Hi Patriot, thanks for your answer, I understand what is the rationale there...btw I tried your latest 0.2.0, very good idea the one of quickmounting a share...actually in my network there are more than a hundred servers, but what I need is, almost always, to access only some specific shares, not all the network...but I haven't been able to automount at startup...parameters are there, I rebbooted, waited some minutes (is there a way to shorten the 120 seconds?), but there was no share mounted on /mnt/network...am I doing something wrong?

eden6000

#80 Post by eden6000 »

I checked my bootsysinit.log, it says:
smbqmsvc: Error mounting //ip_address/share
smbqmsvc: Error mounting //ip_address/share

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#81 Post by Béèm »

Patriot wrote:Hmmm .....

There were two issues reported previously which have been fixed and currently going through some internal test runs :

1. WinXP shares listing not found (Beem)
2. gencache reset error if copies are found (Will)

I have also requested Beem to help make a few test runs and now am awaiting the test results from Beem. The next update will be released once Beem have verified that the issue have been resolved ...

Update: Haven't heard anything from Beem after several days now, so I'm assuming it's working ok .....

Rgds
I am sorry, but I have been unavailable for some time.

I downloaded the 1.8 beta and installed.

I did following test:
1 - I booted the windows PC without the external HDD (containing share partitions)
This time the shares weren't 'seen' as was the case previously.
So for so good.

2 - I did put the external HDD in the PC and booted.
The shared partitions on the external HDD were seen and could be accessed.
Very nice so.

3 - I rebooted the windows PC without the external HDD ( and thus the shared partitions)
Those shared weren't seen again.
So this is correct behavior.

It seems to me the issue is fixed.
I find smbexplorer is working really nice.

I did download now also the 2.0 beta. But I haven't looked at the quick mount yet.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Patriot

#82 Post by Patriot »

hmmm .....
Béèm wrote:..... I have been unavailable for some time. .....
That's alright, I understand that we all have our time constraints at times ... and thanks for confirming that its really resolved.
eden6000 wrote:...but I haven't been able to automount at startup...parameters are there, I rebbooted, waited some minutes (is there a way to shorten the 120 seconds?), but there was no share mounted on /mnt/network...
Ok, some clarification is in order. The 120 seconds waiting time is not a fixed delay loop but a dynamic one. On startup, the automount script waits for a valid local network to be configured (for up-to 120secs). Once a valid local network becomes active, it proceeds to mount the shares. If it times out, it just reports that network is unavailable. My tests indicates that a static network setup settles in just a few seconds but a dhcp setup may take up-to 20 seconds or more ...

The additional time delay option provided is a fixed delay loop. The additional delay loop is useful in cases where one have a wifi network as it may take anywhere between 5 to 30 seconds to establish the connection. (btw, I have reduced this option to 30seconds ...)

I looked at the automount script again and found a minor bug. If your share names have spaces in them or have overlapping names, then you may be affected. I've made some minor changes to it so it now prints out additional info if run from the command line :

# /etc/init.d/rc.smbqmsvc start

I'd be interested to know if the updated scripts helps to resolve your situation ...

Rgds

Patriot

released: lameSMBqmount v0.1.1 beta

#83 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

This bugfix release corrects one minor issue for the automounting script.

changelog for lameSMBqmount v0.1.1 beta:
- added (automounting): extra mount info will be printed if it's run from the command line.
- bugfix (automounting): mount list parsing for share names containing spaces or overlapping share names.
- changed (automounting): mount list is now retrieved directly from /proc/mounts
- changed (automounting): additional delay time option reduced to 30 seconds

Note: this update should only be applied to lameSMBxplorer v0.2.0b

Rgds

eden6000

#84 Post by eden6000 »

No way, Patriot....automounting still doesn't work, but if I launch from the command line
# /etc/init.d/rc.smbqmsvc start
it regularly mounts the shares....
this is my bootsysinit.log, if useful (I don't see anything private, so I think I can post it):

Code: Select all

VERSION UPDATE
LOAD KERNEL MODULES
LOAD SWAP
MISC. SYSTEM SETUP
WAIT MODULES LOADED
USER SELECTED MODULES
SETUP SERVICES
RECOGNISE MEDIA DEVICES
Waiting for interfaces to initialize...Loading "it" keyboard map... 
Loading /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/it.map
configuring network interface eth0
cheching if interface eth0 is alive...MISC. DESKTOP STUFF
PERSONAL BOOT SCRIPT

/dev/sda:
 setting acoustic management to 192
 acoustic      = 192 (128=quiet ... 254=fast)
yes
cups: started scheduler.
smbqmsvc: Error (255) mounting //192.168.0.91/Scambio
smbqmsvc: Error (255) mounting //192.168.0.91/Settori
Currently the smartmontools package has no init script for
the Unknown OS/distribution. If you can provide one or this
one works after removing some ifdefs, please contact
smartmontools-support@lists.sourceforge.net.
Success!
5 from 192.168.0.100
Debug, eth0: sending DHCP_REQUEST with xid 0x5b212aee
Debug, eth0: waiting on select for 17 seconds
Debug, eth0: got a packet with xid 0x5b212aee
Info, eth0: checking 192.168.0.55 is available on attached networks
Debug, eth0: sending ARP probe #1
Debug, eth0: sending ARP probe #2
Debug, eth0: sending ARP probe #3
Debug, eth0: sending ARP claim #1
Debug, eth0: sending ARP claim #2
Info, eth0: leased 192.168.0.55 for 518400 seconds
Debug, eth0: renew in 259200 seconds
Debug, eth0: rebind in 453600 seconds
Info, eth0: adding IP address 192.168.0.55/24
Info, eth0: adding default route via 192.168.0.1 metric 0
Info, eth0: adding route to 169.254.0.0/16 metric 0
Debug, eth0: writing /etc/resolv.conf
Debug, eth0: writing /var/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-eth0.info
Debug, eth0: exec "/etc/dhcpcd.sh" "/var/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-eth0.info" "new"
Debug, eth0: forking to background

Patriot

#85 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Ah, yes ... the log is definitely helpful ... I can see exactly where it borks ... Thanks ...

Ok, to temporarily resolve this, you can just enable the "Add 30s delay" option ... The lo device route oversight is causing a premature mounting ... A bug fix should be ready within 24 hours ...

Rgds

eden6000

#86 Post by eden6000 »

The lo device route oversight is causing a premature mounting
I supposed too it was something like this....btw I have no hurry, I can wait patiently for your fix :)
Thanks

Patriot

released: lameSMBxplorer v0.2.1 beta

#87 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

This combined package is a bugfix release that corrects one minor issue for the automounting script where the lo device route (which should be excluded) causes premature automounting attempt.

The package have successfully gone through several rounds of automount tests in a static, dhcp, wifi and mixed network setup. If anyone still experiencing automounting issues, kindly post your bootsysinit.log (zip 'em up please) ...

Rgds

eden6000

#88 Post by eden6000 »

Good work Patriot, now automounting works like a charm!

ejb

problem accessing NASLITE server

#89 Post by ejb »

I am attempting to access a naslite server. Naslite does not require or use userids or passwords.
I am able to connect to the server with lameSMBxplorer v0.2.1 beta. I can see the directories
and files on the server. However, when I click on any of the files, I get a permission denied
message. Any idea how to get past this problem??? I can access the files on the server using
a web browser.
Thanks.

PS: I attempted to attach to the NASLITE server using linNeighborhood and it worked.
I noticed that linNeighborhood connected with filemode 644 and dirmode 755.
I don't know if that is relevant, but the result was successful.

Patriot

Re: problem accessing NASLITE server

#90 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Thanks for the feedback, ejb ... Please give me a bit of time to get a naslite testbed setup to do some connection tests ... I'm a bit short on spare time right now but hopefully I'll be able to resolve this by sometime next week ... (I do appreciate the note on the file access mode, thanks ...)

Rgds

ejb

NASLITE problem

#91 Post by ejb »

Patriot,

Thanks for the reply. I did some additional digging into the naslite logs
last night. I think my problem relates to the old version of naslite I was using.
I downloaded the current version, installed it and everything is now working
perfectly.

Sorry for the fire drill. Thanks for a great tool.

moonguard12

lameSMBxplorer-0.2.1b.pet

#92 Post by moonguard12 »

This is working on eeepc 700 with Lighthouse connecting to local network Vista Public share, no user no pwd. Pnethood was not seeing the share. Thank you.

toomuchcomputertime

#93 Post by toomuchcomputertime »

This looks very interesting, did I miss the download link? Where can I download the latest version? I saw the alpha in an earlier post, but you are talking about a beta version?

Thanks.

Patriot

#94 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
toomuchcomputertime wrote:This looks very interesting, did I miss the download link? .....
It's on the first page of this thread, just scroll down a little bit more for v0.2.1 beta (combined pet of lameSMBxplorer and lameSMBqmount). Can't miss it ... Kindly let me know how it goes ...

Also my thanks goes to everyone who has provided all the recent feedbacks ...

Rgds

toomuchcomputertime

#95 Post by toomuchcomputertime »

Thanks, I have downloaded the most recent version. Pnethood has not been working for me. I used to use Linethood (I think) but that has not been working either.

Thanks