How to upgrade HD install from 106 to 107?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Jollyjumper

#1 Post by Jollyjumper »

Hello All,

Perhaps a stupid question, but I'm not that familiar with linux yet. Although Puppy is the distribution I kept on for the longest time now(almost 2 months), and it still didn't disappoint me, like all other distributions I've tried did. Maybe it's because I'm mad about dogs ;-)

But now I've read that there is a new version of puppy, 1.0.7, and I was wondering how I can best upgrade my 1.0.6 hdd install to this new version.

Can someone explain me what to do, is it downloading the iso, burn it, and do another hdd install? (I'm very cautious as I don't want to mess up my puppy setup so far)

Greetz Jolly.
www.kistenkas.nl

J_Rey

#2 Post by J_Rey »

Well, it depends on how you installed to your hard drive. Did you choose option 1 (safe, similar to LiveCD) or option 2 (takes over a Linux partition) when installing from the "Install Puppy hard drive" menu selection?

Jollyjumper

#3 Post by Jollyjumper »

Hi J_rey,

Thank you for your reply. I've chosen option 2. And when looking for which option I've chosen I also saw the answer I guess.

I saw the sentence: PARTITION WILL BE ERASED!
(partition will not be erased if you are doing an upgrade)

So I guess I'll have to take the same steps as I would do with a normal install, but then puppy sees it's an upgrade and take the original settings. Is this correct?

Greetz Jolly.
www.kistenkas.nl

rarsa

#4 Post by rarsa »

That's correct.

I have one computer where I run 100% from CD with a pu001 file on NTFS. There I just popped in the CD and rebooted. Puppy took some time cleaning up the system directories.

I have another one where I have a manual install (just the three CD files). There it was just a matter of replacing them with the newer files.

I have another one where I have an option 2 install. Here is what I did:

1. Booted with the new CD running 100% in RAM so it would not create a pup001 file.
2. From the menu "Start | Setup | Install Puppy hard drive"
3. Follow the instructions to do an upgrade. You don't need to reinstall GRUB or recreate a boot floppy so you can skip those steps.

That's it.

Please beware that when you upgrade puppy it cleans some folders which can make some applications stop working. The solution is to reinstall them. I've gone through several upgrades so I now keep all my installed dotpups in a folder so I can reinstall them when I upgrade or restart with a new pup001 file.

babbs

#5 Post by babbs »

rarsa wrote:Please beware that when you upgrade puppy it cleans some folders which can make some applications stop working. The solution is to reinstall them.
I thought that this was worth repeating... I lost OpenOffice when I upgraded from Chubby Puppy 1.0.5 to 1.0.6 (Type 2 install). I didn't know that I would loose OpenOffice and thought I'd done something wrong... That's when I started doing like rarsa and keeping copies of important dotpups in a special directory.

Also checkout the "XP-installer for Puppy 1.0.7" thread at: http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=5117

Jollyjumper

#6 Post by Jollyjumper »

This was indeed a very important point you've mentioned!

Thank you.
www.kistenkas.nl