How do I install the newest version of LibreOffice?

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
Relztrah

How do I install the newest version of LibreOffice?

#1 Post by Relztrah »

I’m running Tahrpup64-6.0.5

I got tired of seeing the notice that an update for LibreOffice is available so I downloaded and extracted LibreOffice_5.2.3_Linux_x86-64_deb.tar.gz. Is that the correct package?

I don’t see this as an option to install in the Puppy Package Manager. Is there a way to navigate to the newly created Libreoffice>DEBS directory and run the PPM there?

Following the readme I attempted to install it by opening a terminal window from my DEBS directory and entering sudo dpkg -i *.deb but I got an error message.

Is there another way to install it?

version2013

#2 Post by version2013 »

When I want the latest LibreOffice, I use the latest .pet from here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65918

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

I do not use Tahrpup64, but Tahrpup (32bit) has "Get LibreOffice" in the menu.
So, look in the menu for it.
Probably in menu->Documents.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

ravensrest

#4 Post by ravensrest »

I am also running Tahrpup64-6.05. I mount the sfs form of Libreoffice, Libreoffice-5.0.3_64_en-GB_xz.sfs, at boot time. Mounts and runs perfectly. I presume you can do the same with later versions if you can find their sfs.
BS

davids45

Extracted?

#5 Post by davids45 »

G'day Relztrah,
You mentioned you have extracted the .tar file.
Does this mean you have LibreOffice in a stand-alone directory with the paths laid out in their correct relationship?

I run LibreOffice in all my Pups by a link to the executable/binary files in the /program subdirectory of a fully extracted LibreOffice.

I make a LibreOffice directory in my data partition, from the tar/pet/sfs (doesn't seem to matter which I start with) and just drag to each Pup's pinboard/desktop, the calc and writer (scalc and swriter in older versions) binary files from the not-too-obvious /program sub-directory on the data partitions's libreoffice directory.

With many Pups of Full & Frugal demeanour on my computer, I also link each Pup's LibreOffice profile at /root/.config/libreoffice back to the profile stored/updated on my data partition so I don't need to keep setting up LibreOffice in each new Pup quite so much. Once I had LibreOffice set up as I wanted in a Pup, I copied its libreoffice directory in /root/.config to my data partition, deleted the original in /root/.config, then made the link back from the copy on the data partition to /root/.config.

In summary,
Extract fully LibreOffice to an available directory
Drag & drop the calc and writer bin files to the desktop.
Drag & drop your libreoffice config directory to /root/.config (if you run more than one Pup)

David S.

slavvo67

#6 Post by slavvo67 »

Vic and Puppus do an excellent job keeping up with the updated versions here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85915

More importantly, Libre updates generally are not that significant so you don't really need to update each time there is one.

In Libre Writer, go to Tools --> Options --> Online Update and uncheck the Check for Updates Automatically box. So, every now and then, you may just want to check the link (above) and see if it's far enough ahead of the version you currently have to update.

I also recommend going to the Load / Save --> General and either uncheck the save auto-recovery information or change it from 10 minutes to 30 or even 60. This seems less of a problem in Quirky but I recall in Puppy that the auto-save would sometimes freeze the screen and made for an unpleasant experience.

Lastly, if you use LibreOffice Base, you will need Java Runtime "JRE". Just found that out yesterday so I thought I'd share.

Best,

Slavvo67

Relztrah

How do I install...[SOLVED]

#7 Post by Relztrah »

My sincere thanks to all who replied. I am still somewhat new to all this. Apparently I had downloaded the incorrect package (PET) and when I downloaded the SFS package found here I was given the option to install automatically.

In any event, I am now using release 5.2.3.3.

Thanks again.