Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 17 Nov 2018, 09:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
[SOLVED] 4.3.1 Fonts too small in FireFox and Seamonkey
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
benali72

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2009, 17:28    Post subject:  [SOLVED] 4.3.1 Fonts too small in FireFox and Seamonkey  

I have a problem with 4.3.1 where the fonts are too small for me to read in browsers like Firefox 3.5 and Seamonkey 2. I do not have this problem when running older Puppy releases like 4.1.2 while using the same equipment.

These small fonts appear in the browser's URL address bar, in the labels on the browser tabs, in the browser status bar that shows connection activity, and in the browser's top menu bar (File/Edit/View/History/Bookmarks/Tools/Help).

This is a problem for me because I really want to be able to read the current URL in the address bar and the status messages while surfing.

I've tried the View -> Zoom command, but that only affects the web page being displayed, it does not affect the items I've listed in the browsers. I also tried Edit -> Preferences -> Content -> Fonts & Colors, but again this doesn't change the items I've mentioned.

I running at 1024x768, so another solution would be to change the monitor resolution to 800x600. This fixes the problem but makes for a poor display for everything else.

I have a Samsugn 700DF monitor and my graphics card is S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR by S3 Graphics Inc.

Any ideas on what else I can try? To me a big clue is that I do not have this problem with earlier Puppy releases -- unfortunately I'm not sure what to do with this clue! Thank you.

Last edited by benali72 on Tue 29 Dec 2009, 20:53; edited 1 time in total
trapster

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2009, 18:42    Post subject:  

Try Here

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog
benali72

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2009, 19:59    Post subject: Thanks for your help, trapster. QED.  

Thank you, trapster! My small fonts are now large enough that I can read them.

I found one has to --

1. Go into the proper directory for each browser (Firefox, Seamonkey, etc).
2. Rename the file userChrome-example.css to userChrome.css to ensure the browser picks up the file properly
3. Then add lines that are outside of comments (denoted by /* and ended by */), but that are themselves started with an asterisk -- a rather odd syntax since comments themselves start with asterisks in many programming languages. In my case, I added these two lines to each file--

* {font-size: 12pt !important;}
* {font-family: Arial !important;}

Save the files, restart the browsers (but not X), and you're done.

Thanks for your help.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: